1989 list of shops in ‘The Parade’, the original name for the parade of shops now known as numbers 225 to 261 London Road.
from Fair Green to Langdale Avenue
J & P, off licence
Borris, ladies wear
Kentucky Fried Chicken, fast food
Hong Kong House, Chinese takeaway
Electrical Domestic Appliance Centre
Saviles Cycle Store
Bamboo House, Chinese restaurant
from Langdale Avenue to the telephone exchange
Nationwide Anglia Building Society
Perfect Pizza, restaurant
Abba’s Fashions, ladies wear
Trattoria Romana, restaurant
John Lewis, opticians
Gresham Motors, garage
Merton Memories Photos taken around 1987
237 London Road was H.J. Chapman, newsagents in 1955, and in 2019 it is Shreeji News.
239 London Road was from 1952 until 1976, a ladies and gents hairdressing shop called “Shaw’s“, owned by Tom and Lily Shaw, which then became “Toulla’s. In 2016 the dentists ‘Simply Bright’ moved there from Fair Green Parade.
255 London Road – see Toytime for ad from 1987