It was locally listed in December 1992 by Merton Council who notes:
This is a pair of two storey, nearly symmetrical semi detached houses, which are thought to date from the early nineteenth century. The architecture of the buildings suggests the regency period, with its low pitched roof, and overhanging eaves. The materials used include red brick and a slate roof. The building does not relate closely in its design with others in the vicinity, though it has similarities with the adjacent house at Kingsdene. The main features of interest are the regency style to the building generally, (pointing ?????), and the glazing bar pattern to the sashed windows, margined glazing bars at Ivy Cottage, and more conventional 12 pane sashes at Elm Cottage. The attempted symmetry is of interest (including a blind door space), which stems from the need to accommodate an integral side passage. No significant alterations are evident.
In a 1902 report on its drains, the owner and occupier was a Mr Bayley, as reported by Inspector Rabbetts.
There were other houses named Ivy Cottage in Mitcham:
Church Road – referred to in an 1897 article on scarlet fever