Demolished in 1999/2000.
Was at 178 London Road, west side, north of Bond Road, south of Eveline Road.
From the Tithe Apportionment Map of 1846, the occupier of the land owned by Anthony Harman was George Smith. The land measured 19 square perches.
Landlords from street directories
1851 : William PUDDICK
1855 : Francis FORSTER
1867 : Francis FOSTER
1874 : Samuel R BISHOP
1880 : Samuel Robert BISHOP
1891 : H.A. VICKERY
1896 : Henry Arthur VICKERY
1898 : G.J. SEWELL
1911 : William POWELL
1915 : William POWELL
1925 : Roy DALE
1930 : Roy DALE
1938 : Roy DALE
Landlords from Newspaper Articles
1920 : F.C. Whittle : Staffordshire Advertiser – Saturday 18 September 1920
1971 : Alan Cargill : Mitcham News & Mercury 23rd April 1971 Page 1
Licenced Victuallers’ Records
Owner was Howard Nalder, Croydon, brewer.
Licensee was Henry Arthur ????
(Surname not in scan, but see 1891 directory above)
Fully licensed and licensed before 1869.
Poor Rate Assessment of £90
Owner was Nalder & Collyers Brewery Company, Croydon to which it was tied
Licensee was George John Sewell
Refreshments other than Intoxicants were tea, coffee and other refreshments if required.
There was no accommodation for sleeping
Stabling provided for 5 horses
Sanitary facilities provided were a urinal and w.c.
Ordinary class trade
F. C. Whittle, licensee of the Swan public-house, London-road, Mitcham, was at Croydon fined £50 and ordered to pay seven guineas costs for overcharging on whisky and rum during the Mitcham Fair and for not having the prices exhibited in the bar.
Source: Staffordshire Advertiser – Saturday 18 September 1920 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)
Walter Woolnough, 38, stableman at the Swan Inn, Mitcham, while paring a corn, cut his foot, and was admitted to St. Thomas’s Hospital suffering from lock-jaw, from which he died on Saturday.
Source: Hants and Berks Gazette and Middlesex and Surrey Journal – Saturday 10 April 1897 from the British Newspaper Archive.
THE SWAN INN, Mitcham, a truly genuine roadside Public-house, with possession, successfully carried on for many years by the late Francis Foster, deceased. ERNESTO HAND has received instructions to SELL by TENDER, on or before October the 31st, a valuable LEASE for 21 years, held direct from Messrs. Nalder and Collyer, at a moderate rent, of the above old-established Inn, advantageously situated on the high road from London, from which it is distant about 10 miles and close to several railway stations. May be viewed, and full particulars and conditions obtained on the premises; at Messrs. Coverdale, Lee, Collyer-Bristow, Withers, and Russell, 4, Bedford-row; and the Auctioneer’s Office, Parsons-mead, Croydon, W. and 42, Southampton buildings, Holborn, where he may be consulted personally from Two till Five.
Source: Morning Advertiser – Thursday 27 October 1870 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)
Planning application 99/P0935 by Denvale Properties (Swan) Ltd to demolish building was approved on 16th September 1999.
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.