In 1949 the Pollards Hill estate tenants petitioned Mitcham Council for a local pub, and they responded by offering a plot of ground in Chestnut Grove to Whitbreads the brewers. Two ex-army Nissen huts were used for the public and saloon bars and in 1960 a permanent building was completed and opened. By the mid 1990s, refurbished and renamed the Oak and Acorn, the pub included a restaurant. Demolished around 2001.
Source: page 112 “Mitcham Histories: 3 Pollards Hill, Commonside East and Lonesome” by E.N. Montague, published by the Merton Historical Society. ISBN 1 903899 14 1
Merton Memories Photos
Planning Application 00/P2454 approved 25th January 2001 for 14 3-bed houses, by Tower Homes, London & Quadrant Housing Association.