Obituary from the Mitcham Cricket Club yearbook for 1978:
Riley Schofield who was made life member of the Club in 1956 was the Borough Engineer for nearly 45 years and made an Honorary Freeman of the Borough in 1960. He was a blunt Yorkshireman who loved cricket and was very useful to the Club especially with regard to anything appertaining to the Green and the square in particular.
Mitcham Cricket Club yearbooks are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.
House, also known as Grove Cottage, on Commonside East, west of the corner with Cedars Avenue. Now demolished. Site to corner has a block of flats.
According to the London Gazette (Publication date : 15 December 1931
Issue : 33780 Page : 8077 ), the land was registered in December 1931 with H.M. Land Registry by Ellen Dorothy Bird of 1, Camomile Road, Mitcham,
The 1867 private residents directory has a Misses Ewer living at Grove Cottage, Mitcham Common.
There are three photos of this cottage, taken in 1978, on the Collage website:
183 and 185 Commonside East