Tag Archives: 1902

Walpole’s Stores

General stores that was on the north side of Western Road, as it met Upper Green West and the Nag’s Head pub.

The name Walpole’s Stores can be seen twice on the front of the building and on its right hand side wall.

Walpole’s Stores

older view of the stores when in use

In the 1896 and 1901 directories, Walpole Brothers is listed at Upper Mitcham. In the 1904 street directory, George Walpole is listed as grocer, but not in the 1911 directory.

Referred to as The Broadway Stores by Eric Montague in the book Old Mitcham.

The newspaper articles below are via the British Newspaper Archive

News Articles

Croydon Guardian and Surrey County Gazette – Saturday 09 June 1906

MITCHAM
RAILWAY FRAUD

— George Walpole, of Walpole Stores, The Broadway, Upper Mitcham was summoned by the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway Company, at Tower Bridge Court, for railway fraud. He pleaded gullty.

— Mr. Austen, who represented the railway company, said that there was a special examination of tickets at London Bridge, and defendant tendered the fare from Queens-road Station, Peckham. After he had been questioned, he said to Mr. Sumner, the chief ticket inspector, ” I can see you are determined to find out. I joined the train at Mitcham Junction without a ticket, and on arriving here and seeing you were examining all tickets, I tendered the fare from Queens-road, thinking it would be all right.’

Defendant expressed sorrow, and was fined 20s. and 23s. costs.

From this news article, it would seem that the Western Road/Upper Green West was known as the Broadway, Upper Mitcham, whereas the Broadway, Lower Mitcham was that part of London Road south of the White Hart.

Croydon Guardian and Surrey County Gazette – Saturday 10 March 1906

NO LIGHT.

George Walpole, of the Broadway, Upper Mitcham, was summoned for driving a cart without a light at London road on Feb. 16th.

— P.S. 26 W gave evidence, and defendant, who admitted the offence, was fined 2s. and 4s. 6d. costs.

Croydon Guardian and Surrey County Gazette – Saturday 27 December 1902

WANTED (after Christmas) a strong, respectable GENERAL; age 20 to 25; clean and willing; knowledge of cooking required; good references. Apply, Mrs. Walpole, Broadway, Upper Mitcham.

Mitcham Park

Mitcham Park is a road that runs from off the south side of Cricket Green by the Mitcham Police station, and connects to the east side of the London Road, north of the former Mitcham railway station.

As of 2018, Royal Mail lists four postcodes for this road:

CR4 4EN : odd numbers 1 to 31
CR4 4EG : even numbers 2 to 32 and East Lodge
CR4 4EP : odd numbers 29 to 59
CR4 4EJ : even numbers 34 to 106.

The block of flats on the corner with London Road, was built on the site of 389, 391 and 393 London Road in 2005/6. The block consist of 28 flats, and it was given the address of 59 Mitcham Park. See planning permission 04/P2012.

1953 OS map

Other OS maps below show the development of the road.
1894
1910
1933

An auction in 1902 describes the two semi-detached houses on the west side of Mitcham park: from the South London Press – Saturday 09 August 1902, via the British Newspaper Archives.

Close to Mitcham Common – TWO PAIRS of semi-detached ViLLAS, known as Nos. 1, 3, 5, and 7, Mitcham Park. Each house contains five bed rooms, two reception rooms, kitchen, and usual offices. No. 1 let at £60 per annum. Nos. 5 and 7 let at £55 per annum each. No. 9 will be sold with the advantage of vacant possession, but of the estimated rental value of £60 per annum, at which rental it now Iet. Lease about 90 years; ground rent £8 each.

Douglas Young & co. will sell the above by AUCTION, at the Mart, E.C., on Wednesday, September 10, 1902, at 2 o’clock precisely. Particulars and conditions of sale may be obtained at the Mart. E.C : of the Solicitors, Messrs. GEDGE, KIRBY, & MILLETT. 11, Great George-street. Westminster: or of the Auctioneers, 51, Coleman-street. K.C., and 213, Clapham-road. S.W.

These aerial photos of the houses show their single, high pitch roof which differs from the other houses that have double-pitched roofs.

Semis 1 & 3, and 5 & 7, Mitcham Park

West side of Mitcham park, from number 1 at the top to number 19 and the bottom

Occupants

1904
West Side
1, Miss COLES
5, John Marsh PITT
7, George BRIDGE
15, Rev. John EDGELL
19, William W. THOMSON
33, Hugh Knight
37, Reginald Pocock BARROW
39, Charles OGDEN
43, Evans FAWCUS
47, Joseph BEARDMORE
53, James W. BOWDING
55, Col. Ernest GRATTAN

East Side

East Lodge, James JOHNSON
2, Felix Andre Jules MOYSE
6, Francis Ringler THOMSON
10, P.A. LEON
12, Mrs HARVIE
14, A.I. SUCKLING-BARON
16, Arthur Ernest ANWYL
22, Miss ANDERSON
26, Arthur Henry BALFOUR
28, Alfred MILLER
32, Wilson ALDWINCKLE

Note that all of these houses, from 15 to 55, and 2 to 32, are of the same design, namely double-pitched roofs with square-U layout to rear.

1953 OS map

This map of 1894 shows the land around Mitcham Hall where Mitcham Park was built, up to Jeppos Lane.

1894 OS map

The land was auctioned in the same year, as listed in the Willesden Chronicle – Saturday 12 May 1894, via the British Newspaper Archive.

In a marquee on the Estate, on MONDAY, June 1, 40 Plots, first portion of the Mitcham Park Estate, adjoining the railway station, and in the centre of the town, fronting on the main road from London to Epsom.

Also, in one lot, the Freehold family Mansion, known as Mitcham Hall, with its beautifully-timbered pleasure grounds and gardens of five acres, and two excellent semi-detached villas.

Vender’s Solicitors. Messrs. Gedge, Kirby, and Millett, 1, Old Palace-yard, S.W.; Architect and Surveyor, W. Mac Thompson, Esq., Holly – cottage, Mitcham

This 1910 map shows the square U-shaped houses that were built:

1910 OS map

The 1933 map shows further development of smaller houses along the south side of the road, and between the gaps on the north / west side.

1933 OS map

News Articles

From the Western Daily Press – Friday 16 August 1935:

The birth of a son at Mitcham Park, Mitcham, to Mrs Winifred Freeman — Miss Polly Ward, the revue actress and dancer is announced.

Mrs Freeman is the only daughter of Miss Winifred Ward, the principal boy, and granddaughter of the late Will Poluski, the Victorian comedian. She was married in 1928 to Mr Robert Sydney Freeman, ” the hero of her schooldays.”

Advert from Norwood News – Friday 20 February 1953

WANTED. Teacher, preparatory school for boys and girls. 6 to 7 1/2

Clarendon Preparatory School, 17 Mitcham Park, Mitcham. Tel. Mitcham. 1444

The widow of the Reverend Lipshytz lived at number 6.

The Medical Officer for Health, A.T. Till, lived at number 31, which was bombed in the Blitz.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

1905 : Mellins Food ad

An ad in the Illustrated London News for Mellins Food:

DORIS MARGARET CLARK, aged 1 year, 3, Evelina Villas, London Road, Mitcham. “Has been fed entirely on MELLIN’S FOOD since 3 months old; her progress since that time has simply been marvellous, and the and the talk of all our neighbours and friends.” Sample free on application. MELLIN’S FOOD, LTD., PECKHAM, LONDON, S.E.

Source: Illustrated London News – Saturday 07 October 1905 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)

The ad refers to Evelina Villas, although this is likely to have been Eveline Villas. In the 1902 commercial directory, there is an Alexander CLARK, a surveyor’s clerk, at 3 Eveline Villas.

1902 : Horse riding on the cricket green

RIDING ON MITCHAM COMMON.

At Croydon County Bench, on Saturday. Jas. Plested, of Leighton-street, Mitcham-road was summoned for committing a breach of the Mitcham Common Conservators’ bye-laws, riding on a portion of the cricket club’s ground.—Defendant pleaded guilty; and expressed his sorrow.

— Mr. Thos. Harvey, captain of the Mitcham Cricket Club, said that on the 2nd inst. he saw defendant riding a horse on the club’s ground. When told to stop he did so, but asserted that he had as much right to ride on the ground as witness had walk over it. The ground was damaged.

— Defendant said he only bought the horse the same morning, and he got on its back it got the upper hand of him, reared, and ran to the common.

— Fined 16s. 6d., including costs.

Source: Dorking and Leatherhead Advertiser – Saturday 27 September 1902 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)

Duncan’s Cottages and Stanley Villas

Two terraces of houses, on the east side of Western Road, near to and north of the corner with Bond Road.

Council minutes in 1902 refer to a planning permission for six houses, which could be for Stanley Villas:

No. 2116, Simmons E. & A., 6 cottages, Western Road Road, Mitcham

Source: Croydon Rural District Council Minutes, Volume VIII 1902 – 1903, 22nd May 1902, page 112.

It’s possible that E. & A. Simmons were Ephraim and Arthur, brothers who were nurserymen, see Rose Nursery.


This 1911 OS map shows 6 houses on the left which are likely to be Stanley Villas, and the next group of 4, Duncan Cottages. The house on its own at the corner with Bond Road (opposite Fountain Place) was Grosvenor House.

1911 OS map.

1911 OS map.

The 1911 census shows the occupants:

Stanley Villas
1, Thomas JONES, 44, labourer in gas works
2, Edith MASON, 42, of private means
3, William PARKIN, 62, leather dresser
4, Michael O’SULLIVAN, 53, carman and contractor
5, William PAYNE, 64, gardener
6, John William KIMPTON, 40, wheelwright

Duncan Cottages
1, Albert E. BLAND, 29, gas fitter at Mitcham Gas co.
2, George JANSON, 46, gardener & contractor
3, John DRAPER, 35, foreman in tea warehouse
4, Thomas HERMITAGE, 34, furnace stoker in Holborn Union Workhouse

The 1925 street directory shows an extra two houses have been added to Duncan Cottages. The houses were numbered in the directory, going south, 6 to 1 Stanley Villas and then 1 to 6 Duncan Cottages:

Stanley Villas
6, John Henry KIMPTON
5, Albert NEWELL
4, Michael SULLIVAN
3, Mrs LOCKYER
2, George ALWYN
1, Thomas JONES

Duncan Cottages
1, John TILLEY, cycle maker
2, John LAWRENCE
3, John DRAPER
4, James DAVIS
5, William John DAVIS
6, Sidney Harry COLEMAN

The 1952 OS map shows that the houses have been renumbered as part of Western Road.

1952 OS map

1952 OS map


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.


Minutes of meetings held by the Croydon Rural District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

1902 photos of lavender harvest

The lavender harvest. From photographs taken at Mitcham, Surrey, during the latter part of August.

Source: The Sketch – Wednesday 10 September 1902 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)

Cutters at work. This lavender is growing on four-year-old roots.

Cutters at work. This lavender is growing on four-year-old roots.

In the track of the reapers

In the track of the reapers

Collecting and placing the lavender in mats

Collecting and placing the lavender in mats

Pegging up the mats full of lavender

Pegging up the mats full of lavender

Carrying the mats of lavender to the waggon

Carrying the mats of lavender to the waggon

Loading the waggon with lavender for the distillery, where the essential oil is extracted

Loading the waggon with lavender for the distillery, where the essential oil is extracted

Bruce Road

Road on former Gorringe Park estate, west of Heaton Road.

1913 OS Map

1913 OS Map

The road was made up in 1902. From the minutes of the Croydon Rural District Council, Volume 8, 1902 to 1903, 18th September 1902, page 395:

Grenfell Road Tenders

The Council opened and considered the undermentioned tenders received for the making up, forming, kerbing, and metalling of Grenfell Road, Mitcham:-

Stockwell & Co., Bromley = £698 7s.
Adams, T., Wood Green, London = £574
Iles, E., Mitcham = £472
Free & Sons, Maidenhead = £437
Wheeler, W., Southwark, S.E. = £369

Resolved, That the tender of Messrs. Free & Sons, of Maidenhead, be accepted, and that the necessary bond be entered into in accordance of conduct.


From the 1915 street directory:

from Ashbourne Road to Figg’s marsh

EAST SIDE

2 Jean Marie Berthelot, teacher of french
4 Sydney Taylor
6 Albert Edward Snowdon
8 Francis Stagg
10 Charles W Beaven
12 William Henry Isaac
14 Harry Tanner Lucas
16 Albert Edward Everett
18 George Osmond
20 William Philip Evans
22 Frederick Greasby
24 James Henry Brown
26 George Gray
28 James Champion
30 Sidney Clover
32 Francis W Dutton
34 Walter John Maunder
36 William Fulbrook
38 John Blunt
40 Herbert Warner
42 Ernest John Willmott
44 William Henry Parsonage
46 Mrs Bond
48 Mrs P. Zietz, teacher of music
50 Ernest Wall Mills
52 Robert George Fletcher
54 Robert Bracken
56 Owen H. Bailey, insurance agent
58 National Deposit Friendly Society (Mitcham district) (Francis Swann, secretary)
60 Thomas Lawton
62 James Bryan
64 George William Richards
66 Alfred Crowhurst

WEST SIDE

1 George Adams, grocer
27 william George Kempsell, grocer
29 H.D. Sanders, boot maker

… here is Inglemere Road …

25A J. Richardson, builder & decorator

… here is Gorringe park avenue & Figg’s marsh …

World War 1 Connections
Rifleman Ernest James Blagburn
Private Frederick Isaac
Private A E Snowdon

Minutes of meetings held by the Croydon Rural District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.