Tag Archives: Rowan Road

1950 : Workers’ Playtime in Smith Meters Canteen

The BBC’s Home Service radio show Workers’ Playtime was broadcast from the canteen at Smiths Meters in Rowan Road on Friday 6th January 1950. The show was then repeated on the 23rd January.

From the Mitcham News & Mercury, 13th January 1950, page 7

‘Workers Playtime’
In Canteen

Smith Meters Broadcast
To Be Repeated

Employees of Smith Meters works, Rowan-road, Streatham Vale balloted for 70 seats in their canteen on Friday. That, after regular canteen patrons had been accommodated, was the only room available foe the visit of the BBC’s “Workers’ Playtime.” The unlucky ones heard the broadcast on relay.

The limited space provided difficulty also for producer Bill Worsley, for among the artists were the 16-voiced George Mitchell choir as well as Turner Layton and Terry Scott. But everything went smoothly, and director Mr. A. Charles thanked them for the performance.

Works manager Mr. F. W. King added that they had lost a little production time through the broadcast but felt it was well worth it. “We feel it is all for the good of the employees’ morale to have a visit like this.” he said.

A recorded repeat of the broadcast can be heard on the Home Service January 23 (6.20 p.m.- 6.45 p.m.).

A summary of the show can be found at the BBC archive webpage.

Air Raid shelters in 1948

Mitcham Borough Council minutes, volume 15, 1948-49, page 95 :-

The Borough Engineer submitted the following report: –

December 3, 1948.

To the Chairman and Members of the General Purposes Committee.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Air Raid Shelters.

In accordance with the instructions of the Committee I give below a list of shelters which have not yet been demolished :—

  • Morden Road (Deer Park Gardens).
  • Commonside West.
  • Commonside East.
  • Manor Road.
  • Rowan Road.
  • Figges Marsh S.
  • Figges Marsh N.
  • Manship Road.
  • Moffatt Gardens.
  • Cranmer Road.
  • Fair Green.
  • Carshalton Road.

Home Office sanction to the making safe of the shelters has just been received and negotiations are proceeding with the contractors, Messrs. J. Sullivan, Ltd., whose tender (in the sum of £603 15s.) was forwarded, in July, to the Home Office for approval.

Personal note: I remember in the mid 1960s the air raid shelters at the southern end of Figges Marsh and on the north side of Cranmer Road near the junction with Carshalton Road.

Avenue Road

Road that is parallel, and north of, Rowan Road, running between Stanford Way at its northern end, and Northborough Road at the southern end. Although part of Streatham today, when built it was part of the Mitcham Urban District. Possibly built in 1925/6, see below.

1951 OS map

Houses are numbered starting from the Northborough Road end with evens on its northern side, and odds on the other. Postcodes are SW16 4HJ for numbers 1 through 77, and SW16 4HL for 2 to 82.

In June 1926, Fulfords Ltd., builders of the Long Thornton Estate, asked the council to use the name Beckview Road instead of Avenue Road. The council disagreed and, as the company suggested no other name, it stayed as Avenue Road. Source: Mitcham UDC minutes, volume 12, page 115. Note that the next road in parallel with this road, away from Manor Road, is called Beckway Road.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Nine schools in big reshuffle in 1960

From the Mitcham News & Mercury, 20th May, 1960, page 1.

NINE SCHOOLS IN BIG RESHUFFLE

A DEVELOPMENT plan to provide an academic stream in all Surrey secondary schools
will start next year. Nine Mitcham schools will be affected, five of which will be closed.

The scheme was due to be started early next year and completed by 1966, but too little
money was allocated by the Ministry of Education, and the completion date will not be for some years.

Top priority on the list is Gorringe Park Secondary Boys School. As the present building
is needed for the primary pupils, new premises will be built.

The boys from Rowan Road Secondary School, which is closing, will be transferred to the
new school, where it is planned to run one academic, one technical and two general courses.

TO BE ENLARGED

Rowan Road Secondary girls will have the entire school building, at the moment divided between the boys and girls school. They will have one academic, one home economics and two general courses.

Pollards Hill Secondary School will be enlarged. It Will take six instead of four entry classes each year and will have one academic, one commercial and four general courses.

Western Road Boys’ School will close and the girls will take over the entire building. With an academic and a commercial course there will be two general courses.

Singlegate Boys’ School will close, and open in a new building on a new site with one academic, one technical and two general courses.

Fortescue Girls’ and Links’ Girls’ schools will both be closed.

Merton Memories Photos
Fortescue Road School in 1925

Gorringe Park School (6 photos)

Pollards Hill School : Football coaching in 1955

Rowan Road School (10 photos)

Western Road School in 1954

Meopham Road

Road that runs westward from Rowan Road to Grove Road. It was originally called Old Grove Road, and is shown on this 1913 map as part of Grove Road.

1913 OS Map

1913 OS Map

It was renamed to Meopham Road in 1927, likely named from a field on the north side, see map on page 16 of Mitcham Histories : 3 Pollards Hill, Commonside East and Lonesome.

From the minutes of the Mitcham Urban District Council
Highways and Buildings Committee
Tuesday, 6th December, 1927
Page 528

10. Naming of Roads – It was Resolved, that an order be made under Section 18 of the Public Health Act, 1925, assigning the following names to streets in the district:-

Meopham Road, for that part of Grove Road leading past the south end of Ebenezer Cottages to the junction with Rowan Road (hitherto described as Old Grove Road).


See also:

A. Jordan & W. King, electrical engineers, adjoining 94 Meopham Road

British Red Cross )Youth Section) Divisional HQ

Public conveniences planned in 1936


Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Urban District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.