Tag Archives: 1951

189/191 London Road

189-191 London Road, Mitcham CR4 2JB, was built in 1962/3 in front of the Mitcham Baptist Church.

c.1987 clip from Merton Memories photo reference Mit_​8_​1-25 copyright London Borough of Merton

Previously there was open space in front of the church which is set back from the road, as shown in this 1951 OS map:

1952 OS map

Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland

Norwood News, 5th October 1962 via the British Newspaper Archive

Avenue Road

Road that is parallel, and north of, Rowan Road, running between Stanford Way at its northern end, and Northborough Road at the southern end. Although part of Streatham today, when built it was part of the Mitcham Urban District. Possibly built in 1925/6, see below.

1951 OS map

Houses are numbered starting from the Northborough Road end with evens on its northern side, and odds on the other. Postcodes are SW16 4HJ for numbers 1 through 77, and SW16 4HL for 2 to 82.

In June 1926, Fulfords Ltd., builders of the Long Thornton Estate, asked the council to use the name Beckview Road instead of Avenue Road. The council disagreed and, as the company suggested no other name, it stayed as Avenue Road. Source: Mitcham UDC minutes, volume 12, page 115. Note that the next road in parallel with this road, away from Manor Road, is called Beckway Road.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Eveline Villas

Two terraces, each of five shops with flats above, on the west side of London Road, divided by Eveline Road, which is at the junction with Streatham Road and Locks Lane.

In the 1915 street directory, the houses were shown as numbered from south to north: from 1 to 5 and then 6 to 10:

1, Ernest McINTYRE, M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P., Lond., physician & surgeon (surgery)
2, William Henry CURTIS
3, Thomas Henry BAND
4, Ernest Alfred ARTHUR
5,
6, Henry Thomas HENCHER
7, Henry HORNCASTLE
8, Hugh ANDERSON
9, Mrs COOK
10, Charles Alexander HURRELL

(Occupant for number 5 wasn’t given in the 1915 directory.)

Planning application no. 614 submitted by H. DALE was approved January 1925 for conversion of numbers 3,4 and 5 to shops. (Mitcham UDC minutes, volume XI, page 560).

In the 1925 street directory:

1, Miss L. FROUDE, confectioner
2, Ernest REEVE, butcher
3, J.W. AUSTIN & Son, provision dealers
4,
5, Sidney BOREHAM
6, Charles LATHAM
7, William DRAKEFORD
8, Hugh ANDERSON
9, Ernest Alfred ARTHUR
10, William Arthur BLEACH

(Occupant for number 4 wasn’t given in the 1925 directory.)

Between 1925 and 1930, these houses were renumbered as part of London Road, north to south, 154 to 162, and 164 to 172.

In the 1930 commercial directory, the shop on the north corner with Eveline Road, originally numbered 6 Eveline Villas, is shown as no. 162 London Road:

The Swan Radio Co., wireless dealers, 162 London Road. Telephone 4009

1934 ad

1934 ad

1951 OS Map

1951 OS Map

There are two Merton Memories Photos from 1929, one looking north, the other, to the south.

World War 1 Connections
Private Francis Norton Drakeford

From the Surrey Recruitment Registers:

W A BLEACH of 1 Eveline Villas, aged 39 Years 10 Months, Carpenter. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 11 December 1915 to the Middlesex Regiment.

W S WHITE of 3 Eveline Villas, aged 33 Years 2 Months, Glazier. Conscripted on 10 May 1917 to the Royal Army Medical Corps.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Presswell Tools Ltd.

186 High Street,
Colliers Wood, SW19

Engineers


Source:
Borough of Mitcham List of Factories,
Town Clerk’s Department,
July 1963.
Available at Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.
Reference L2 (670) Mitcham


The adverts below are via the British Newspaper Archive

Norwood News – Friday 03 February 1961

TOOL MAKERS and machinists wtd., top rates to skilled men. – Apply Presswell Tools Ltd., 186 High-st., Colliers Wood, opposite Tube stn.

Norwood News – Friday 09 March 1951

WANTED: First-class toolmaker. – Apply Presswell Tools Ltd., 186 High-st., Colliers Wood, Merton.

Mays Mitcham Iron Foundry

Listed in the 1963 List of Factories as at 34 Eveline Road.

1951 OS map

Listed in the 1954 phone book as May’s Mitcham Iron Foundry, 34 Eveline Road, MIT 3926


Sources:
Borough of Mitcham List of Factories,
Town Clerk’s Department,
July 1963.
Available at Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.
Reference L2 (670) MIT


Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Urban District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Marco Refrigerators, Ltd.

Manor Works
216/8 Rowan Road

Refrigerator manufacturer.

1948 aerial photo from Britain From Above

1951 OS map

Listed in the 1930 commercial directory as Marco Refrigerators (1929) Ltd. refrigerator mfrs. Rowan rd. Trading As ” Fridgettys, Phone, London; ” T N Pollards 1141

News Articles
Mitcham News & Mercury 13th January 1961, page 1

WORKERS FEAR FOR THEIR JOBS

THE 350 employees of Marco Refrigerators Ltd., in Rowan Road, Mitcham, were shocked to learn at the week-end that their company made a net loss of £51,795 last year.

This is in marked contrast to the previous year when a profit of £32,539 was made.

Many of the workers have been asking among themselves: “Will this mean some of us will lose our jobs?”

The management refused to comment this week. but it seems reasonably certain that wholesale sackings will not take place. Shortly before Christmas 29 were laid off because of the drop in orders, but none has been dismissed since.

TRADE IMPROVING AGAIN

it is understood that trade is once again improving and according to sales representatives, will continue to go up.

The firm, which makes refrigerators mainly for industrial
and commercial use – a large part of their output goes overseas – gives two reasons for the 1960 loss.

Firstly, the Governments credit squeeze, including the hire purchase restrictions.

Secondly. the need to sell many of their goods at little or no profit to meet “cut-throat competition” in spite of increased material and labour costs.

EVERY STEP HAS BEEN TAKEN

An official statement by Marcos adds: Every possible step has been put into operation by the directors to rectify the position.”

No one at the company would enlarge on this statement. “We can say nothing at this stage,” a spokesman said. Marco Refrigerators are not alone in their poor financial result.

Many other refrigerator firms have been similarly hit.

From the Norwood News, 29th January, 1960, page 4.

Big year for the fridge firm

The firm of Marco Refrigerators Ltd. Rowan Road, Long Thornton, are full of new ideas aimed at keeping the company in a good position in a highly competitive industry, says the chairman, Mr Edwin G. Batt.

In his annual statement he refers to the past year as a ”phase unprecedented in extent.”

“Never before has the company in such a short space of time completed preparations for launching so many new models.”

SMILING

These included frozen food display cabinets and an entirely new range of ice cream conservators. Considerable cost has been involved in their development.

Mr Batt adds: ”I would like to extend to all employees, whatever their duties or degrees of responsibility during this momentous time, our warmest appreciation of their efforts.
.
“In the face of great problems, trials and temporary setbacks they have come through smiling.”


Listed in the Borough of Mitcham List of Factories,
Town Clerk’s Department,
July 1963.
Available at Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.
Reference L2 (670) MIT


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.