Kebab and steak restaurant that was at 197 London Road, possibly from mid 1980s to 2012. It had a take away counter on the right, and a seating area on the left. The steaks were good and inexpensive, as was the wine. Telephone orders were taken for home delivery of steak as well as kebabs.
Clip from Merton Memories phot reference Mit_8_1-40, around 1987.
Google StreetView history shows number 197 as Ossie’s Taverna up to July 2012. In June 2014 it is a Polish shop called Silesia, and from June 2016 a chicken shop called “Wings and Things”.
The trees seen on the left in this photo are much smaller than the rest. Photo taken May, 2019
The three trees at the westernmost end of the green of Lower Green West were planted after the Storm of 1987 had felled the original trees.
The London Box Sash company, situated opposite the old fire station, helped clear the fallen trees using their own saws and other equipment. They didn’t charge the council for this service, instead it was agreed between the two that all the wood salvaged from the fallen trees could be used by the company. Some of this wood ended up as Mitcham Rakes.
A ‘Mitcham Rake’ made by the London Box Sash Company. Photo taken at their premises August 2018.
Flower shop that was at 219 London Road
c.1987 clip from Merton Memories photo reference Mit_8_1-33, copyright London Borough of Merton
1982 ad for Courtesy Florals at no. 219
Flowers for all Ocassions
219 London Road
Telephone 01-648 3506
189-191 London Road, Mitcham CR4 2JB, was built in 1962/3 in front of the Mitcham Baptist Church.
c.1987 clip from Merton Memories photo reference Mit_8_1-25 copyright London Borough of Merton
Previously there was open space in front of the church which is set back from the road, as shown in this 1951 OS map:
1952 OS map
Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland
Norwood News, 5th October 1962 via the British Newspaper Archive
Scans of pages from the Mitcham Diary of 1987.
Draughtsman supplies shop, was at Monarch Parade, London Road.
c.1987 clip from Merton Memories, photo reference Mit_8_1-18
This receipt from 1981 shows the address as 73/75 Monarch Parade. London Road, Mitcham CR4 2JB, tel 01-640 5316.
Receipt dated 8th June, 1981.
The 1971 telephone directory showed the address as 189 London Road, telephone 01-640 0461.
Note that a company of the same name was incorporated in 2007 and dissolved in February 2019, and it is not known whether there was a connection with this business in Mitcham.
Building society that was at number 173 London Road, CR4 2JB, on the corner with Downe Road.
According to the Building Societies Association Handbook (pdf), the Mitcham Building Society merged with the South Metropolitan Permanent in July 1977 to form the Mitcham & Metropolitan. It also had a branch at 38 Stafford Road, Wallington, SM6 9AA. Transfer was then made to the Sussex County in April 1986.
c. 1987 clip from Merton Memories photo reference Mit_7_1-93 copyright London Borough of Merton
Established 1883 according to this account book from 1970:
Account book with a start date of January 1970