Tag Archives: London Road

Caesar’s Walk

Road that runs south westerly from Cranmer Road to the footpath alongside the tram line. On this 1932 OS map, the footpath is shown as Tramway Path.

1932 OS map

Road sign at corner of Caesars Walk and Cranmer Road. The Wilson Hospital can be seen in the background.

The name of the road refers to Sir Julius Caesar Adelmere who, it was believed, had a mansion on the site where the Wilson Hospital is now. In 1598 he entertained Queen Elizabeth I. From this the names of the roads off of Caesars Walk are related to that monarch.

However, Eric Montague, in his book Mitcham Histories:11 The Cranmers, The Canons and Park Place, page 70, says that local records indicate that Sir Julius’s residence was actually south of the Burn Bullock, on the London Road.

Sir Isaac Wilson had bought in 1926 the Cranmers and surrounding land that stretched across the South London and Sutton railway line to the junction of Cranmer Road/Willow Lane with Carshalton Road. He built the eponymous hospital, which opened in 1928, as well as the Garden Village. In between the two he developed Caesars Walk, Burghley Place, Cecil Place, Walsingham Road and Hatton Gardens.

Ad for number 29, on the corner with Walsingham Road, from the Norwood News – Friday 27th October 1933

MITCHAM COMMON

(7 mins, Mitcham Junction Station, 20 mins, Town); semi-detached freehold house; built 6 years; garage; 3 bed, 2 reception,bathroom. kitchenette; gas, e. l., hot water; re-decorated; excellent condition; £650. – Owner, 29, Caesars-walk. Mitcham.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Figges Marsh in street directories

Postcards from around the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries might have the address of Figgs Marsh, Mitcham, such as this one:

1906 postcard to Mrs Tutty, Figgs Marsh, Mitcham.

Street Directories from around that time show that the roads on either side of the green called Figges Marsh, that is, London Road and Streatham Road, were called Figgs Marsh. The occupants shown in the directories is shown below.

Note that ‘west side’ refers to the London Road and ‘east side’ refers to Streatham Road.

The ‘from’ refers to the direction that the list is to be read. In 1891, this was ‘from High Street’ which shows that the road through to the Fair Green was not yet called London Road. In the 1896 directory, London Road is listed as being from Upper Green to Lower Green only.

Also note that:

The house called ‘The Chestnuts’ is today known as ‘Renshaw Corner’.

In the 1891 directory, ‘east’ and ‘west’ are round the wrong way.

In the 1896, 1904, 1911, 1912 and 1915 directories, only the Streatham Road side is referred to and it is called the ‘south side’.

Years listed below:

1891
1896
1898
1904
1911
1912
1915

1891

Figg’s marsh, from High street

WEST SIDE

William LANCEFIELD (The Chestnuts)
Thomas TURNER (The Willows)

…. here is Graham road ….

Mrs Louisa MUNDAY, laundress (Avenue cottage)

…. here is Graham avenue ….

Robert KITE, bricklayer
Mrs Emma WARD, laundress (Manor cottage)

EAST SIDE

Mrs Elizabeth BAMFORD, laundress
J NICKOLLS
George FARNFIELD
W. MORGAN, plumber
Hugh KNIGHT, builder & contractor
E.C. KNIGHT (Manor house)

1896

Figg’s marsh, from High street

EAST SIDE

…. here is Lock’s lane ….

Mrs LANCEFIELD (The Chestnuts)
Mis H.M. BULLOCK, ladies’ college

…. here is Graham road ….

…. here is Graham avenue ….

James MUNDAY, laundry (Avenue cottage)
William CLARK
Mrs BRYANT
Edgar BAMFORD
James GUNN
Alfred GREENAWAY
Robert KITE, bricklayer
George HUMPHREY (The Limes)
Mrs Emma WARD, laundress (Manor cottage)

WEST SIDE

Charles MATTHEWS, contractor (The Poplars)
1 Poplar cottages, Herbert DODD
2 Poplar cottages, Mrs EDWARDS
1 Thanet cottages, James JEAVES
2 Thanet cottages, Edgar NICOLE
William MORGAN, plumber
Mrs HASLAM
Ernest BAMFORD (Moss house)
3 Manor view, James COLE
5 Manor view, William KILLICK

Harry HICKMAN (Tamworth farm)

1898

Figgs marsh, from London road.

SOUTH SIDE

…. here is Lock’s lane ….

Mrs LANCEFIELD (The Chestnuts)
Mis H.M. BULLOCK, ladies’ college

…. here is Graham road ….

…. here is Graham avenue ….

James MUNDAY, laundry (Avenue cottage)
William CLARK
Mrs Bryant
Edgar BAMFORD
Frederick CRESSWELL
Alfred GREENAWAY
Robert KITE, bricklayer
George HUMPHREY (The Limes)
Mrs Emma WARD, laundress (Manor cottage)

1904

Figg’s marsh, from London Road

SOUTH SIDE

…. here is Lock’s lane ….

The Mitcham Steam Laundry Co. Lim. (Elnathan)
Wallace James CULLIMORE (Elnathan)

…. here is Graham road ….

…. here is Graham avenue ….

1911

Figg’s marsh, from London Road

SOUTH SIDE

…. here is Lock’s lane ….

Percy M. STRATTON (The Chestnuts)

…. here is Graham road ….

…. here is Graham avenue ….

1912

Figg’s marsh, from London road.

SOUTH SIDE

…. here is Lock’s lane ….

James PAIN & Sons, fireworks manufacturers
Arthur GIBBONS (The Chestnuts)

…. here is Graham road ….

…. here is Graham avenue ….

1915

Figg’s marsh, from London road.

SOUTH SIDE

…. here is Lock’s lane ….

James PAIN & Sons, fireworks manufacturers
Alfred MOUTRIE (The Chestnuts)

…. here is Graham road ….

…. here is Graham avenue ….