Tag Archives: London Road

Mitcham Post Offices

Eric Montague said in his book Mitcham Histories : 12 Church Street and Whitford Lane, page 107, that Mitcham’s post office had occupied 5 locations, as listed below:

1st : at Westhall’s grocery shop in the Broadway

The 1855 directory shows the postal services available:

It lists Joseph WESTALL as grocer and cheesemonger as well as the post office receiving house in Lower Mitcham.

2nd : in a small shop near Mitcham Station

This photo from 1895 shows part of the words ‘Post Office’ above the shop.

clip from Merton Memories, photo reference Mit_Public_Services_18-2, copyright London Borough of Merton

3rd : a purpose built building in the Broadway

The words ‘Post Office’ can be seen etched in the windows on the building on the right in this photo of around 1910:

clip from Meton Memories, photo reference Mit_streets_Lon_38-25, copyright London Borough of Merton

According to Eric Montague in his book Mitcham Histories : 4 Lower Mitcham, pages 127-8, this post office was

erected in about 1900 … a three-storeyed building … its rather fussy facade including false timber framing to simulate an Elizabethan structure.”

4th : Post Office and Telephone Exchange building on the corner of London Road and Elmwood Road

Built around 1920, shown here in this 1953 photo:

clip from Merton Memories photo, reference Mit_Streets_Lon_38-46, copyright London Borough of Merton

5th : Langdale Parade

In 1961 the post office moved to Langdale Parade in the Fair Green. The telephone exchange building remains.

Currently, in 2019, the Langdale Parade post office has moved to a smaller shop nearby at number 5:

Post Office at no. 5 Langdale Parade. Photo taken 23rd April 2019

189/191 London Road

189-191 London Road, Mitcham CR4 2JB, was built in 1962/3 in front of the Mitcham Baptist Church.

c.1987 clip from Merton Memories photo reference Mit_​8_​1-25 copyright London Borough of Merton

Previously there was open space in front of the church which is set back from the road, as shown in this 1951 OS map:

1952 OS map

Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland

Norwood News, 5th October 1962 via the British Newspaper Archive

C.E. Spence

Newsagent and stationer who had a shop from around 1914 at number 5 the Broadway,
which was later renumbered as 323 London Road, as shown in this ad from the 1934 Official Guide to Mitcham:

1934 ad

Text of ad:

The Mitcham Circulating Library
Also SUBSCRIPTION LIBRARY

in connection with
MESSRS. W. H. SMITH & SON
2d. Volume – – No Deposit.

C. E. SPENCE

ARTISTIC PRINTER :: STATIONER
BOOKSELLER AND NEWSAGENT
BOOKBINDER :: PICTURE FRAMER
FANCY NEEDLEWORK :: TOYS

(Agent for Pullar’s Dye Works).

323 London Road, LOWER MITCHAM

In the 1913 directory, the newsagent is listed as John James KENYON. In the 1915 directory it is C.E. SPENCE.


From Ancestry:

In the 1939 register, Charles Edward SPENCE, stationer newsagent, born 1872, lived at 323 London Road with his wife Fanny E.M.B. SPENCE.

He died in 1941 and left £590 4s. to his widow Fanny Emma Mary Broadridge SPENCE.

From Norwood News – Friday 24 January 1941

NEWSAGENT FOR MANY YEARS

Mr. Charles Spence

THE death of Mr. Charles Edward Spence, well-known bookseller and newsagent, 323 London-road, Mitcham, has come as a great shock to his many friends and acquaintances.

Mr. Spence. who was 68 years of age, originally came to Mitcham from Cheam, where he had been associated with the Mitcham and Cheam Brewery.

For 26 years he was a prominent tradesman in Mitcham, and around him made a very large circle of friends and customers. He was a member of the Mitcham Chamber of Commerce, Mrs. Spence being on the Social Cornmittee.

Mr. Spence has been in the choir at St. Dunstan’s Church, Cheam, since boyhood, and it was in the graveyard of this church that the funeral took place.

Numerous floral tributes included one from the Tooting and Mitcham Newsagents’ Federation, of which he was an active member, testifying to the esteem in which he was held.

The funeral arrangements were carried out by Mr. Donald S. Drewett, Upper Green, Mitcham.