Tag Archives: 1933

Hercules Ladies Athletic Club

From the Mitcham News and Mercury, 20th of October 1933, page 1

“Mitcham Odds and Ends”

RIFT IN THE LUTE

I am sorry to hear that trouble has arisen over the decision of the Mitcham Athletic Club at its recent annual general meeting, not to allow members under 16 years of age to vote at their meetings. This has been taken as a slight upon the young ladies who lately have flocked to the club in overwhelming numbers. Unfortunately it has led to the formation of another club, which may tend to cripple both organisations. Mr F.H. Priest, president of the Mitcham Athletic Club, informed me that every effort will be made to consolidate the Mitcham Athletic Club in the interests of young lady athletes.

HERCULES LADIES

Meanwhile, the new club, called the Hercules Ladies Athletic Club, has established its headquarters at Dahomey Road, Streatham. The officers are: Founders, Mr and Mrs R.O. Bale; committee chairman Mr R.C. Parr; honorary general secretary, ,Mr F.J.E. Meymes, 19 Crusoe Road, Mitcham; hon. Treasurer, Mrs F. Meymes; club captain, Mrs Bale; and trainer, Mr Bale. The club colours are navy blue with regulation tunic with scarlet facings. The object of the club, it is pointed out, is “furtherance of womanhood in athletics.” The club committee, in appealing to parents, states ”that Mrs O Bales (formerly Miss A.M. Stone, international runner and winner of many athletic events) is putting her whole efforts in turning their daughters into first class sport swimming, vide the club’s motto Factum non verbum (Deeds not words). “As solid foundations are essential, we feel that very careful attention given to girls under 15 years of age, will assure this being a first-class club eventually.”

THE LAVENDER MAN.

1933: Mitcham Boy Shot In Leg When After Rats

From the Mitcham News and Mercury, 20th of October 1933, page 1

Mitcham boy shot in leg

Accident When After Rats

Operation on Sunday

A number of lads were shooting rats with a small shotgun in Reader’s-yard, Lewis Road, Mitcham, on Saturday afternoon when George William Hutton (age 13), Lewis Cottages, Lewis Road, Mitcham, was accidentally shot in the right leg.

He told his parents, and his father at once took him to Wilson Cottage Hospital.

On Sunday the boy was operated upon at the hospital, and over 50 pellets were extricated from the leg.

He has since made satisfactory progress.

Mrs Hutton, the boy’s mother, told a “Mercury” reporter that her boy managed to crawl home with his leg bleeding, and his father carried him to hospital on the front of his bicycle.

“My boy told us it was not anybody’s fault,” she added. “The shooting was accidental while they were walking together in the yard. The shotgun belongs to one of the other boys and went off when they collided with each other.”

Collingwood Road

Road with houses only on its east side. At its north end is Fox’s Path. At the south end, the road is accessed from Blake Road, off Miles Road. On its west side is a trading estate, formerly the site of Thomas Parson’s varnish factory.

The houses are numbered even, from south to north, from 2 to 56. Royal Mail postcode website says there are 28 addresses, all with the postcode CR4 3DH.

1953 OS map

The road was probably built in the late 1920s, as it isn’t mentioned in the 1925 street directory.

Occupants from the 1933 Electoral Register

2, Charles Alfred and Emily CAIN
4, William Stanley and Ivy Gertrude LAWRENCE
6, Percival Arthur and Ada SPENCE
8, Edward Charles and Gertrude FOWLER; George and Alice GARDNER
10, Montague, Martha Lucy and Montague John MANDER
12, Thomas and Maggie Rose GAMBLE
14, Alfred Thomas and Beatrice Ellen MANLEY
16, Henry George, Alice, Annie Elizabeth and William Lawrence TINGEY
18, William and Esther GUENIGAULT; Joseph and Phyllis Irene GREEN
20, Frederick James and Winifred Louisa CLATWORTHY
22, George, Eliza, Mabel and Leslie LONG
24, Alfred and Annie GILLETT; Sydney and Mabel SCHMID
26, Arthur Stanley and Hilda PHELPS; Albert Fred GROVER
28, James and Margaret CONGRAVE
30, Percy Westlake and Fanny VEALE
32, Cecil Vaughan and Rhida Louise RICHE; Frderick and Phyllis WALTERS
34, James and Rose GRIMSHAW
36, Walter and Annie SMITH
38, Alfred and Winifred DAVIES; Henry EVANS
40, Albert Edward and Amelia Mary PAINTER
42, Cyril Brian and Maud Edith CARR
44, Albert Henry and Alice Jessie SNOSWELL
46, Henry Edward and Florence Lilian GIBBS
48, Walter and Isabel WILSON
50, Charles Henry William and Florence BARNES
52, George Walter and Dorothy Louise LONG; Minnie DAVIES
54, Charles Thomas and Nellie PAYNE
56, William Henry and Kathleen Gertrude GASTER


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Grove Lodge Garage

Grove Lodge Garage was described in a news item on page 1 of the 24th February, 1933, Mitcham News & Mercury, as being at Tramway Path, near Mitcham Station, and kept by Frank GUYATT, builder and contractor.

BIG BLAZE AT A GARAGE
Fighting the Flames in the Snow
Factory Saved

Considerable damage was done by a fire which broke out shortly before six o’clock on Saturday morning at Grove Lodge Garage.

The discovery was made by Mr George Potter, of London Road, who informed the police, and they summoned the Mitcham Fire Brigade..

Chief Officer Albert O. Wells promptly turned out with one engine and a complement of men. The other engine, also fully manned, followed shortly afterwards. There was a blizzard of snow at the time, and the firemen experienced great inconvenience. They found a large corrugated iron building ablaze from end to end. Plenty of hose and a good supply of water enabled the firemen successfully to cope with the outbreak and keep it from spreading. The direction of the wind helped them.

The Damage

The garage was burnt out, two motor cars and a miscellany of goods, machinery, etc. being destroyed, running into several hundreds of pounds. The fire attacked a neighbouring factory, but this was saved, though police and willing helpers salvaged a valuable quantity of chemical food stored therein to make sure the fire did not affect it.

The firemen were handicapped by many tons of burning rubber refuse in the buildings, which caused dense fumes. Several tons of copies of the Talmud (Jewish books of law), which were unfolded and unbound, caught fire and were destroyed.

At one time the blaze was so terrific that it was actually seen by a milkman in Carshalton Road, two miles away.

Nobody was hurt, and the firemen left after several hours’ hard work, during which they had the satisfaction of saving some very valuable property.

The chemical food referred to may have been Lactagol.

1933 Explosion – Slightly Injured List

From the Norwood News – Friday 31 March 1933, via the British Newspaper Archive

SLIGHTLY INJURED.

10 Belgrave Road
Mrs. MARY WALLS (aged 57)

12 Belgrave Road
Miss MAUD SEALEY (aged 17)
ELIZABETH SEALEY (aged 12)
PEGGY SEALEY (aged 10)

13 Belgrave Road
HENRY SEALEY (aged 29)

16 Belgrave Road
MYRTLE CONNOR (aged 15)

18 Belgrave Road
FREDERICK WELLER (aged 18)

20 Belgrave Road
Mrs CISSIE SPARROWHAWK (aged 42)

24 Belgrave Road
Mrs. MINNIE JARDINE (aged 40)
ALEC JARDINE (aged 17)

28 Belgrave Road
CHARLES WHITING (aged 30)
Mrs. MINNIE E. WHITING (aged 30)
ELIZABETH WHITING (aged 12)

30 Belgrave Road
Mrs. ETHEL GOODSELL (aged 48).

34 Belgrave Road
JOHN FOSTER (aged 48)

27 Queen’s Road
Miss ELLEN COOPER (aged 18)
ANNIE COLLINS (aged 18)

6, Stanley-road, Morden

FRANK CAPLIN (aged 28)
All these are suffering from bruises and cuts on head, body, and legs (not of a serious nature), caused by falling debris.

The Official Report on the Explosion also has names and addresses of those affected, with details of buildings damaged.

Mitcham Park

Mitcham Park is a road that runs from off the south side of Cricket Green by the Mitcham Police station, and connects to the east side of the London Road, north of the former Mitcham railway station.

As of 2018, Royal Mail lists four postcodes for this road:

CR4 4EN : odd numbers 1 to 31
CR4 4EG : even numbers 2 to 32 and East Lodge
CR4 4EP : odd numbers 29 to 59
CR4 4EJ : even numbers 34 to 106.

The block of flats on the corner with London Road, was built on the site of 389, 391 and 393 London Road in 2005/6. The block consist of 28 flats, and it was given the address of 59 Mitcham Park. See planning permission 04/P2012.

1953 OS map

Other OS maps below show the development of the road.
1894
1910
1933

An auction in 1902 describes the two semi-detached houses on the west side of Mitcham park: from the South London Press – Saturday 09 August 1902, via the British Newspaper Archives.

Close to Mitcham Common – TWO PAIRS of semi-detached ViLLAS, known as Nos. 1, 3, 5, and 7, Mitcham Park. Each house contains five bed rooms, two reception rooms, kitchen, and usual offices. No. 1 let at £60 per annum. Nos. 5 and 7 let at £55 per annum each. No. 9 will be sold with the advantage of vacant possession, but of the estimated rental value of £60 per annum, at which rental it now Iet. Lease about 90 years; ground rent £8 each.

Douglas Young & co. will sell the above by AUCTION, at the Mart, E.C., on Wednesday, September 10, 1902, at 2 o’clock precisely. Particulars and conditions of sale may be obtained at the Mart. E.C : of the Solicitors, Messrs. GEDGE, KIRBY, & MILLETT. 11, Great George-street. Westminster: or of the Auctioneers, 51, Coleman-street. K.C., and 213, Clapham-road. S.W.

These aerial photos of the houses show their single, high pitch roof which differs from the other houses that have double-pitched roofs.

Semis 1 & 3, and 5 & 7, Mitcham Park

West side of Mitcham park, from number 1 at the top to number 19 and the bottom

Occupants

1904
West Side
1, Miss COLES
5, John Marsh PITT
7, George BRIDGE
15, Rev. John EDGELL
19, William W. THOMSON
33, Hugh Knight
37, Reginald Pocock BARROW
39, Charles OGDEN
43, Evans FAWCUS
47, Joseph BEARDMORE
53, James W. BOWDING
55, Col. Ernest GRATTAN

East Side

East Lodge, James JOHNSON
2, Felix Andre Jules MOYSE
6, Francis Ringler THOMSON
10, P.A. LEON
12, Mrs HARVIE
14, A.I. SUCKLING-BARON
16, Arthur Ernest ANWYL
22, Miss ANDERSON
26, Arthur Henry BALFOUR
28, Alfred MILLER
32, Wilson ALDWINCKLE

Note that all of these houses, from 15 to 55, and 2 to 32, are of the same design, namely double-pitched roofs with square-U layout to rear.

1953 OS map

This map of 1894 shows the land around Mitcham Hall where Mitcham Park was built, up to Jeppos Lane.

1894 OS map

The land was auctioned in the same year, as listed in the Willesden Chronicle – Saturday 12 May 1894, via the British Newspaper Archive.

In a marquee on the Estate, on MONDAY, June 1, 40 Plots, first portion of the Mitcham Park Estate, adjoining the railway station, and in the centre of the town, fronting on the main road from London to Epsom.

Also, in one lot, the Freehold family Mansion, known as Mitcham Hall, with its beautifully-timbered pleasure grounds and gardens of five acres, and two excellent semi-detached villas.

Vender’s Solicitors. Messrs. Gedge, Kirby, and Millett, 1, Old Palace-yard, S.W.; Architect and Surveyor, W. Mac Thompson, Esq., Holly – cottage, Mitcham

This 1910 map shows the square U-shaped houses that were built:

1910 OS map

The 1933 map shows further development of smaller houses along the south side of the road, and between the gaps on the north / west side.

1933 OS map

News Articles

From the Western Daily Press – Friday 16 August 1935:

The birth of a son at Mitcham Park, Mitcham, to Mrs Winifred Freeman — Miss Polly Ward, the revue actress and dancer is announced.

Mrs Freeman is the only daughter of Miss Winifred Ward, the principal boy, and granddaughter of the late Will Poluski, the Victorian comedian. She was married in 1928 to Mr Robert Sydney Freeman, ” the hero of her schooldays.”

Advert from Norwood News – Friday 20 February 1953

WANTED. Teacher, preparatory school for boys and girls. 6 to 7 1/2

Clarendon Preparatory School, 17 Mitcham Park, Mitcham. Tel. Mitcham. 1444

The widow of the Reverend Lipshytz lived at number 6.

The Medical Officer for Health, A.T. Till, lived at number 31, which was bombed in the Blitz.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

1933 : Husband and wife buried in one grave

From the Mitcham News & Mercury, 6th January, 1933, page 2

IN DEATH THEY WERE NOT DIVIDED

Husband and Wife Buried in One Grave

“In death not divided” is a truism in regard to Mr. Thomas Cornelius Ware
and his wife, Mrs. Annie Jane Ware, of ” St. Olave’s.” Ashbourne-road, Mltcham.

Within four hours after his wife had been brought home dead from a London
hospital, Mr. Ware passed away. He practically foretold his death, for he
remarked to the members of his family after he had made up his accounts on
Saturday, “I shall go when mother comes home.” Mrs. Ware had died on December 29, and Mr. Ware on December 31.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Ware were 70 years old, and highly reepected in Mitcham,
where they had lived a great number of years. Mr. Ware was a retired compositor, having worked 27 years for Odham’s Press, Ltd., London.

Mrs. Ware was an active worker on behalf of the Mitcham and Tooting
Floral and Horticultural Society, and a member of the committee. She also
took a great interest in the St. Barnabas’ Church Mothers’ Union, being a Sunday-school teacher and a member of the Parochial Council.

Mr. Ware made gardening his hobby. In three years’ time Mr. and Mrs. Ware
would have celebrated their golden wedding. They formerly resided in Longley-road. Tooting.

One daughter, Miss M. A. Ware, head-mistress of the junior mixed department, Singlegate School, and four sons, all married, mourn the loss of devoted parents.

THE FUNERAL

The funeral was a double one, both Mr. and Mrs. Ware being buried in the
same grave in the new Mitcham Cemetery, London-road, on Wednesday after-
noon. The burial was preceded by a service in St. Barnabas’ Church. conducted by the Vicar. the Rev. E. J. Baker, assisted by the Rev. E. M. Vanston. The service was fully choral, with Mr. J. H. Humphries (a former organist of St. Barnabas’) at the organ. The music included Schubert’s Unfinished Symphony, Mendelssohn’s Funeral March, and two favourite hymns, ” Jesu, Lover of my soul.” and “Allelulia, Sing to Jesus.”

A large number of relatives and friends followed to the burial ground to witness the remains laid to rest.

FLORAL TRIBUTES.

The floral tributes were many and beautiful, and included those from:

… companions at Odham’s Press; St. Barnabas’ Mothers’ Union; St. Barnabas’ Working Party; North Mitcham Improvement Association; staff of Singlegate Junior Schools; friends at Gorringe Park School; Messrs. H.C.F. and F. Weber; employees of Messrs. J.F. Renshaw & Co., Ltd.; … Mr E.J. and Mr and Mrs E.E. Mizen; Mr A. Mizen and the Misses Mizen; Miss Alice Mizen; …