Tag Archives: 1931

Council depot, Church Road

Council depot that had its main entrance on Church Road, east of Church Place. Shown on this OS map of 1953 as Corporation Depot, this site is now the housing estate of Morland Close.

1953 OS map

Parts of the north wall along Love Lane remain, and an entrance, now bricked up, can be seen at the junction with Edmund Road.

Photo taken April 2016

New Articles
Norwood News – Friday 06 March 1931

FIRE AT COUNCIL DEPOT.

Mitcham Fire Brigade were called on Tuesday morning to an outbreak at the Council’s depot in Church-road. When they arrived with their appliances, they found the surveyor’s motorcar was ablaze. It transpired that an explosion, caused by a petrol leak in the carburettor, had started the fire. The brigade quickly extinguished it, and saved Mr. Riley Schofield his car, only the fabric being damaged.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

1931 : the last agricultural worker in Mitcham

Charles William Blackburn, the last agricultural labourer left in Mitcham, died, aged eighty-nine. For over fifty years he worked at Sherwood Farm, on the edge of Mitcham Common. The farm is now covered with streets of new houses.

Source: Illustrated Police News – Thursday 15 October 1931 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)

Grove Cottage 183 Commonside East

House, also known as Grove Cottage, on Commonside East, west of the corner with Cedars Avenue. Now demolished. Site to corner has a block of flats.

According to the London Gazette (Publication date : 15 December 1931
Issue : 33780 Page : 8077 ), the land was registered in December 1931 with H.M. Land Registry by Ellen Dorothy Bird of 1, Camomile Road, Mitcham,

The 1867 private residents directory has a Misses Ewer living at Grove Cottage, Mitcham Common.

There are three photos of this cottage, taken in 1978, on the Collage website:

alt='Image courtesy of Collage - The London Picture Library - http://collage.cityoflondon.gov.uk'


1978 Image courtesy of Collage – The London Picture Library – http://collage.cityoflondon.gov.uk

alt='Image courtesy of Collage - The London Picture Library - http://collage.cityoflondon.gov.uk'

1978 Image courtesy of Collage – The London Picture Library – http://collage.cityoflondon.gov.uk

alt='Image courtesy of Collage - The London Picture Library - http://collage.cityoflondon.gov.uk'


1978 Image courtesy of Collage – The London Picture Library – http://collage.cityoflondon.gov.uk

183 and 185 Commonside East

183 and 185 Commonside East

Swimming Baths

Built on the site of George Shepherd & Son, coach builders, on London Road.

Mitcham Baths edited

Possibly 1970s

1932 Baths Hall

1932 Baths Hall

1932 swimming pool

1932 swimming pool

From the 1932 Medical Officer of Health Report for Mitcham, from the Wellcome Trust

SWIMMING BATH.

The new Swimming Bath was opened by the Chairman of the Council on November 28th, 1932.

The Surveyor has kindly supplied the following data :—

Construction was commenced in June, 1931, and was carried out as an unemployment relief scheme.

The building is used as a public hall in the winter months, with movable stage and dance floor over the swimming pool.

The swimming pool, 100 ft. by 36 ft., has a depth of water varying from 3 ft. to 8 ft. 6 in., with a diving area 20 ft. long.

The floor of the pool is covered with terrazzo and the sides lined with white glazed interlocking bricks.

The dressing rooms are between the entrance hall and bath hall, with showers and foot baths adjacent, ensuring that bathers use the shower and foot baths before entering the pool.

The filtration plant comprising three vertical pressure filters, giving a maximum rate of 200 gallons per square foot per hour and capable of filtering the whole of the 126,000 gallons in four hours. Aeration is carried out both before and after filtration. Chlorination is by the automatic liquid gas type to Ministry of Health recommendations of 0.2 to 0.5 parts per 1,000,000.

Washing accommodation comprises :—

Eight slipper baths and one spray bath for men.
Six slipper baths and one spray bath for women.
Space has been allowed for future extensions.

The cost, exclusive of the land and furnishing, was £27,350.


1952

1952


The electric lighting was supplied by Ward Electrical Co. Ltd. who submitted the lowest tender of £506 7s.

The terrazo paving was supplied by the Camden Tile and Mosaic Co. who submitted a tender of £1480 8s. 6d.

Source: 1931 Mitcham Urban District Council minutes, pages 414 and 445, volume 17.

The first superintendent of the Baths Hall was Mr. C. P. WALKER, according to the Mitcham News & Mercury on 3rd February, 1933. He is quoted as having been previously at Hull.

List of Newspaper Stories

Date Headline Newspaper Page
03/02/1933 (Boxing) Exhibition Contests at the new Baths Mitcham News and Mercury 1
22/07/1933 A tour of inspection by Labour Party Members Mitcham and Morden Guardian 7
29/07/1933 The success of the new Baths Mitcham and Morden Guardian 5
30/09/1933 Baths Committee’s scheme for another Bath Mitcham and Morden Guardian 3
02/12/1933 All-in wrestling banned Mitcham and Morden Guardian 7
03/12/1937 Indoor bowling rink opened Mitcham News and Mercury 1
03/12/1937 Indoor bowls for Mitcham Mitcham News and Mercury 3
18/05/1939 Foam baths for Mitcham Mitcham and Tooting Advertiser 14
05/01/1951 New cycle parking blocks Mitcham and Morden Guardian 1
12/04/1951 Foam baths re-opened Mitcham and Tooting Advertiser 1
28/05/1953 Slot machines for hair drying Mitcham and Tooting Advertiser 5
02/07/1953 Record for Baths Mitcham and Tooting Advertiser 1
08/04/1954 Preparation for swimming season Mitcham and Tooting Advertiser 1
06/10/1955 Boom year at Mitcham Baths Mitcham and Tooting Advertiser 3
06/10/1955 Proposal re longer hours Mitcham and Tooting Advertiser 1
26/04/1956 Two enthusiasts celebrate Mitcham and Tooting Advertiser 1
27/04/1956 First dips of the season Mitcham News and Mercury 8
03/05/1956 Baths Hall bookings hit by T.V.? Mitcham and Tooting Advertiser 10
04/05/1956 Few people hire Baths Hall Mitcham News and Mercury 9
21/06/1956 Too wet to go to the Baths? Mitcham and Tooting Advertiser 20
07/12/1956 Local bathers toughening up Mitcham and Morden Guardian 7
07/12/1956 Swimmers getting tough Mitcham News and Mercury 9
15/03/1957 A risky plunge at the Baths Mitcham News and Mercury 1
05/07/1957 Record attendance Mitcham News and Mercury 1
02/08/1957 No chance for a high diver Mitcham News and Mercury 1
29/05/1958 Clubs denied swim? Mitcham and Tooting Advertiser 1
10/10/1958 Baths get a £1,000 facelift Mitcham News and Mercury 9
15/10/1959 Baths record Mitcham and Tooting Advertiser 2
22/10/1959 Special bus to Baths too expensive Mitcham and Tooting Advertiser 1
09/12/1960 Poor swim season – weather blamed Mitcham News and Mercury 7
23/02/1961 New Baths Chief Mitcham and Tooting Advertiser 1
24/02/1961 Baths Superintendent is retiring in May Mitcham News and Mercury 8
02/03/1961 No house for Baths official Mitcham and Tooting Advertiser 1
30/03/1961 Baths schedule in hot water Mitcham and Tooting Advertiser 1
21/04/1961 Mitcham Baths Superintendent Mitcham and Morden Guardian 1
03/08/1961 Eskimo rolling in Baths Mitcham and Tooting Advertiser 8
25/01/1962 £9000 plan to re-equip Baths in three years Mitcham News and Mercury 9
02/11/1962 Council to revise their charges Mitcham News and Mercury 1
24/01/1963 £9000 plan to re-equip Baths in three years Mitcham and Tooting Advertiser 1
27/02/1963 Swimming pool for estate Mitcham News and Mercury 9
02/01/1964 A second pool for Borough? Mitcham and Tooting Advertiser 1
14/01/1964 Estate to plead for pool Mitcham and Tooting Advertiser 1
29/05/1964 Swimming baths? Lets build them Mitcham News and Mercury 11
27/11/1964 Swim pool – no move yet Mitcham News and Mercury 1
24/12/1964 £350000 for new swim pool Mitcham News and Mercury 1
24/12/1964 New pool would cost £350000 Mitcham and Tooting Advertiser 1
31/12/1964 Negative attitude to swimming pool Mitcham and Tooting Advertiser 1
19/02/1965 Scheme for Mitcham winter swimming pool Mitcham and Morden Guardian 5
19/02/1965 Tenants ask for swim pool Mitcham News and Mercury 1
30/07/1965 Conditions at Mitcham criticised Mitcham News and Mercury 1
09/09/1965 Loan needed Mitcham and Tooting Advertiser 1
17/09/1965 New boiler for Mitcham Baths Mitcham and Morden Guardian 6
24/09/1965 Investigation team clears the Baths Manager Mitcham News and Mercury 1
20/12/1968 New boiler for Mitcham Baths Mitcham News and Mercury 11
12/12/1969 Swim to cost 25 per cent more Mitcham News and Mercury 13
18/12/1970 Archery at the Baths Mitcham News and Mercury 1
11/04/1974 Mayor to open new Training Pool Mitcham News and Mercury 1
08/08/1975 Taking the plunge as heatwave soars Mitcham News and Mercury 11
09/07/1976 Quick dips only at the Baths Mitcham News and Mercury 2
20/01/1978 Neighbours slam new pool nuisance fears Mitcham News and Mercury 49
27/01/1978 Longer dips in pools bathers told Mitcham News and Mercury 51
03/02/1978 Chlorine firm blacklists Merton Swimming Baths Mitcham News and Mercury 5
06/06/1980 Baths will close Mitcham News and Mercury 1
13/06/1980 New pool planned Mitcham News and Mercury 1
18/07/1980 Residents say no to new swimming pool Mitcham News and Mercury 3
30/10/1980 Petition to save swimming pool Mitcham News and Mercury 64
13/02/1981 Baths will close Mitcham News and Mercury 5

From the Mitcham News & Mercury, 3rd February, 1950:

The outside of Mitcham Baths is to be painted at a cost of £349 8s. 2d. The tender of Messrs. Cannon and Roaf was the lowest/ The job will take six weeks.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Chapel Road

Around 1965

Chapel Road possibly 1965


This photo is looking west, from the Church Road end, at numbers 10 on the left, 8, 6 and 4 on the right. As the new Phipps Bridge development of flats can be seen in the background, this photo is assumed to be after 1965. Note the four chimney pots for each house.

World War 1 Connections
Private Leonard Ralph Bradshaw

Private Frederick Albert Simmonds

Maps

1950 Chapel Road map evens only


News Articles

Croydon Advertiser and East Surrey Reporter – Saturday 17 April 1886

Alleged Theft from a Child.—Yesterday (Friday), before Mr. T. R. Edridge, chairman the Croydon County Bench, a girl named Emily Varnum (14), Chapel-road, Mitcham, described as a nurse, was charged with stealing 5d., from small child, whose name did not transpire.

— Mr. Edridge, without formally going into the case, asked the prisoner what she did with the money.

— She said she only had fourpence, with which she bought cakes and sweets, and gave the other twopence away.

— Mr. Edridge, in discharging the prisoner, warned her to be very careful of her future conduct, and ordered her mother to pay Mrs. Mellor, the other child’s grandmother, the money which had been lost.


Gloucester Citizen – Thursday 13 September 1928

GASWORKER GASSED.

Alfred H. Stokes, 29, of Chapel-road, Mitcham, was excavating in High-street, Tooting, on Wednesday, for the Wandsworth, Wimbledon and Epsom District Gas Company, when an escape of gas rendered him unconscious. He was taken to St. James’s Hospital, where oxygen was administered, and after a time he recovered, and was later allowed to go home.

Surrey Mirror – Friday 24 April 1931

While repairing the pavement in Chapel-road, Mitcham, on Saturday three Mitcham Council workmen felt the ground give under their feet. They were just in time to leap to safety as the surface fell into well 8ft deep, containing 2ft. of water. The well is bricked one side and heavily the other, and appears to connect with an underground watercourse extending about 30ft. under the pavement.


Gloucester Citizen – Friday 11 November 1932

SCRAP OF PAPER CLUE
“TELEPHONE COIN-BOX KING” ALLEGATION

A piece paper dropped by a prisoner was mentioned at Croydon when Percy Wallis (41), of Chapel-road, Mitcham, was charged on remand with conspiring with Thomas Robins, Constantine Ferrari, and others to steal money from telephone coin boxes.

Wallis was described at the last hearing as the “telephone coin box king,” and the master mind behind numerous telephone box raids, but he denied it.

Mr. Gordon Fraser, for the Post Office, said that the losses from telephone coin-boxes were very large indeed. In April two men were convicted at the Old Bailey. While one was on remand he dropped a paper, picked it up quickly, and tried to destroy it. That paper gave Wallis’s telephone number and address. After that observation was kept almost continuously on him.

Wallis was remanded and bail refused.

Source the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required).


1973 : Life is hell for the forgotten residents

Road stopping up order in the London Gazette Publication date:12 May 1988 Issue:51331 Page:5634


Occupants in the 1911 street directory

27,Mrs Bartripp shopkeeper


1915 Electoral Register
Odd numbers, south side

Skinner, William 5
Ward, Thomas Edward 7
Simmons, Frederick Albert 9
West, George 11
Pinegar, Robert 13
Clark, Thomas 17
Lambert, Charles 19
Homewood, William 21
Elliott, George Henry 23
Franklin, William 25
Howe, John 27
Pearce, Arthur 29
Ferrier, Thomas Arthur 33
Stagg, William 35
Salter, Henry 37

Even numbers, north side

Whale, Charles Frederick 4
Forgham, James 6
Hawkins, Thomas 8
Skilling, John 10
Arnold, Thomas John 12
Jardine, Thomas 14
Winter, James 16
Marshall, Robert 18
Thompson, Thomas 22
Thurtle, Arthur 24
Halestrap, Henry William 26
Davis, John 28
Bradshaw, Henry 30
Stock, John William 32

1933 Electoral Register
Odd numbers, south side

Priscilla SKINNER 5
Alfred MAY 5
Christion MAY 5
Mary WARD 7
Thomas Edward WARD 7
John Henry WARD 7
Alice Maud WHITE 9
Moses Frank WHITE 9
Alice Maude NYE 9
Emily May SIMMONDS 9
Alice WEST 11
George WEST 11
Marjorie Alice WEST 11
Annie PENEGAR 13
George Robert PENEGAR 13
William Robert PENEGAR 13
Emily FROST 15
William Jeremiah Thomas FROST 15
Douglas CLEMENTS 15
Amy Isobel CLEMENTS 15
Eliza CLARK 17
Edmund HOMEWOOD 17
Violet HOMEWOOD 17
William WARREN 19
Florence WARREN 19
William MORLEY 21
Mabel MORLEY 21
George ELLIOTT 23
Rose Mary ELLIOTT 23
Joseph Richard ELLIOTT 23
Job COLLISON 25
Mary Ann COLLISON 25
Annie HOWE 27
John HOWE 27
William HOWE 27
Florence HOWE 27
Minnie PEARCE 29
Alfred Hanson REEVES 31
Robert Thomas ALEXANDER 31
Grace Winifred ALEXANDER 31
Alfred WHEATCROFT 33
Emily WHEATCROFT 33
Arthur Edward CHAPMAN 35
Lucy Alexandra CHAPMAN 35
Henry SALTER 37
Maud Louisa SALTER 37
Albert William SALTER 37

Even numbers, north side

Leonard SIMS 2
Charles Frederick WHALE 4
Minnie WHALE 4
Edna WHALE 4
James FORGHAM 6
Sarah FORGHAM 6
Ethel Evelyn FORGHAM 6
James Harold FORGHAM 6
Albert James LIDDLE 8
Nellie LIDDLE 8
Elsie WALLIS 10
Reginald PUTTEE 10
Maud PUTTEE 10
Amelia Maria ARNOLD 12
Thomas John ARNOLD 12
William James NORMAN 12
Mary JARDINE 14
Thomas JARDINE 14
Rhoda JARDINE 14
Cecil Frank CRITTENDEN 16
Edith Maud CRITTENDEN 16
Charles BLACKBURN 16
Annie BLACKBURN 16
Margaret MARSHALL 18
Robert MARSHALL 18
Edward SMITH 18
Doris May SMITH 18
Frank WALLACE 20
Gertrude WALLACE 20
Harry TANNER 20
Rebecca TANNER 20
Lizzie Bullock THOMPSON 22
William THOMPSON 22
Olive Eunice THOMPSON 22
Arthur THURTLE 24
Grace Lilian THURTLE 24
Henry William HALESTRAP 26
Cissie PRIOR 26
Alice Elizabeth DAVIS 28
John DAVIS 28
John James DAVIS 28
Eliza BRADSHAW 30
Henry BRADSHAW 30
Harry BRADSHAW 30
Amy BRADSHAW 30
Emily Jane JOHNSON 32
William Henry JOHNSON 32
Amy Emily JOHNSON 32

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Typke and King

1910 OS Map showing location of Crown Chemnical Works as north of Commonside East and west of Manor Road.

1919 Association of British Chemical Manufacturers Official Directory, from the Internet Archive

1909

1919


1921

1921


In 1938 directory

Typke & King Ltd. chemical mfrs. Crown chemical works, 295 Commonside east. T A “Valerianic, Mitcham;” T N 2136 (2 lines)


1886 Chemist and Druggist as for Typke and King

1886


From the East Mitcham Log of 7th July 1932

A Local Industry

Recent discussions regarding Incorporation have reminded our readers of the many industries in Mitcham whose products are known throughout the world, and probably a desire has arisen for further information.

Interesting to report that Messrs. Typke & King Ltd., Commonside East, were established in 1883 by the late Mr. P.G.W. Typke, F.I.C., F.C.S., and the late Mr. W.R. King, for the manufacture of chemicals for the rubber and allied trades.

At that time there were just a few wooden cottages on Commonside East, about 12 houses in Manor Road, and our Sherwood Park estate of today was then Sherwood Farm. Wheat was grown at the end of Manor Road, and there was a large forest adjacent, while between the Works and Streatham Park Cemetery were meadows and beds of osier, used for basket making.

The land now covered by Messrs. Typke & King’s Works, which occupy about 9 acres, was formally an orchard, but today a very different sight meets the eye.

Many of their products are made in large wooden vats provided with powerful mechanical agitators to ensure thorough mixing. Material is then dried in specially constructed rooms at a temperature and it does not exceed a certain maximum, and finally milled and passed through a fine silk or metal sleeve to remove all traces of grit.

Power is provided by three large Lancashire Boilers, supplemented by one of a smaller vertical type and by several gas engines driven by gas produced on the spot. One of these gas engines operates on an Air compressor which pumps water from the firms Artesian Wells rate of 5000/6000 gallons per hour. The large water storage tank is a familiar sight to habitues of Mitcham Common.

The firm takes great precautions to prevent the escape into the atmosphere of any objectionable fumes or odours. There is a large absorption plant in the middle of the works to which gases are conducted on the suction from a fan. As a final precaution the residual air is passed through a bed of absorbent material. The opinion has been expressed that gasses created during the manufacture of certain products are injurious to the operatives, but this is not so, as several of the Firm’s Pensioners can testify.

Is not generally appreciated that pure rubber is hardly ever used in practice as it has very little elasticity or strength, it gets very hard in cold weather and very sticky in hot weather. In order to correct this it has to be vulcanised, i.e., it is mixed with sulphur and heated under definite conditions. There are other methods of vulcanising but this is by far the most common and this simple mixture produces rubber such as is used for winding golf balls. Even then the rubber is not suitable for many purposes and it is thus necessary to modify it still further. This is done by the incorporation of various powders, the actual powder used depending on the purpose for which the rubber is intended.

It is in the production and sale of these powders that Messrs. Typke & King Ltd. specialise. Thus they make the red compound which is extensively used in inner tubes, football bladders, etc., and which, besides giving a pleasing colour, prevents the rubber from perishing rapidly.

Another product for which they are famous is a material known as Factice or rubber Substitute. This is vulcanised vegetable oil, and its principal use is in the waterproofing trade. The rubber in Macintoshes for example may contain 75% of Rubber Substitute, which is added in order to give a smooth silky feel to the rubber, to prevent rapid perishing, and to allow the material to be applied to the cloth with greater ease. In other forms, rubber Substitute will act as a kind of lubricant for vulcanised rubber and thus allow it to be worked more easily.

Nowadays, rubber articles can be obtained in all kinds of pleasing colours, but this has only been accomplished by patient research work. Very few colours can be used in rubber, as some will be destroyed during vulcanising, some will cause the rubber to perish very rapidly, and some will bleach or darken when the rubber is exposed to sunlight. Messrs. Typke & King Ltd. have always specialised in suitable colours, and actually make several at their Mitcham Works.

They also have selling agencies for many powders which it is impossible for them to make. One of the most important of these is Carbon Black which is used to an enormous extent the manufacture of tyres, and rubber shoe soles. The latter may contain 50% of Carbon Black, the object of which is to produce a rubber which has great strength, small stretch, and great resistance to cutting and abrasion. This Carbon Black is made in America where vast quantities of natural gas issue from the ground in certain localities. The gas is burnt in special burners so as to give a smoky flame and the soot so produced is collected and refined. Many thousands of tons of this soot are used annually in the rubber trade in England alone.

It will be realised that in order that they may meet the exacting requirements of the present day, it is necessary for Messrs. Typke & King Ltd. to have special research facilities. Their Laboratory contains a complete miniature rubber plant, which not only allows them to test out their products exact way in which they will be used, but enables them to carry out research work which not only benefits the rubber manufacturer, but eventually is to the advantage of the small purchaser, either because he gets better value for his money or similar quality at a lower price.

It will thus be seen that Messrs. Typke & King Ltd. are well to the fore in an industry which has today reached such tremendous dimensions, and their work has made the name of Mitcham known throughout the world.


From The Scotsman – Friday 27 November 1931, via the British Newspaper Archive.

LAND AND MONEY TO BOY SCOUTS TROOP

Paul George William Typke, (45), of Lawn House, Sycamour Grove, New Malden, Surrey, founder of Typke & King (Ltd.), Mitcham Common, manufacturers of fine chemicals, &c.

Net personalty, £19,671; gross £39,431.

He gives a piece of land in New Malden and £100 towards the erection of a pavilion thereon to the First Malden Troop of Boy Scouts, 200 Ordinary shares in Typke & King (Ltd.) to James Bray, 100 shares each to Thomas Dawson and Albert Mayland, £ 200 each to Constance Stevenson and Margaret Oakey, £100 to Harold Bond and £50 each to Terry Constable and Harry Wilkinson “in recognition of their services to me.”

Note: age given in newspaper article differs to that in Grace’s Guide entry on the firm.