Tag Archives: 1896

1896 Street Directory

Agriculture
Benevolent Institution
Board Schools
Churches
Clubs, Societies etc.
Description of Mitcham
Land area and population statistics
Landowners
Manors
Missions
Parochial Officers and Public Institutions
Places of Worship
Railway Stations
Schools


Description of Mitcham

… (in Domesday Book called “ Michelham ”) is a parish and extensive village on the river Wandle and the Reigate road, with a station called Mitcham junction on the London, Brighton and South Coast railway; the Wimbledon and West Croydon line forms a junction here with the above line, and has a station at Lower Mitcham;

Distances to London and Croydon

it is 9 miles south-west from Westminster bridge and 3 north-west from Croydon ;

Divisions and Districts

the parish is in the North Eastern division of the county, Wallington hundred, Croydon union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Beddington, archdeaconry of Kingston and diocese of Rochester, and is under the jurisdiction of the Metropolitan police. The village is lighted with gas by a company, and supplied with water from works at Ditton, the property of the Lambeth Water Co.

Churches

The church of SS. Peter and Paul, rebuilt in 1821, is a building of flint, covered with cement, in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled tower on the north-east, with pinnacles and containing 8 bells: there are 1,100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a vicarage, average yearly value from tithe rent-charge £356, net income £500, with residence, in the gift of William Simpson esq. and held since 1859 by the Rev. Daniel Frederic Wilson M.A. of Wadham College, Oxford, and surrogate.

Christ Church is an ecclesiastical parish, formed August 10, 1875, out of the parish of Mitcham: the church, in Church road, is a building of white brick with stone facings, in the Gothic style, and consists of chancel, nave of three bays, north aisle, south porch and a western tower with shingled spire, containing 6 bells. The register dates from the year 1876. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £400, with residence, in the gift of the widow of William John Harris esq. and held since 1876 by the Rev. Francis Stewart Legg M.A. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge.

The Catholic chapel, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, and erected in 1889, has 320 sittings. Here is also a Congregational chapel with 350 sittings, and a Free Methodist chapel,erected in 1882 and seating 250 persons, also a Baptist chapel, seating 200 persons.

A Cemetery of 23 acres was formed in 1883 at a cost of £2,800 ; it has one mortuary chapel, and is under the control of the Parish Council, acting as a Burial Board.

Miss Tate’s Almshouses, on Lower Mitcham green, built and endowed in 1829, are for twelve females above 55 years of age ; the endowment is in £5,800 Consols; other charities, producing £130 yearly, are for distribution.

The fair is held yearly, on the 12th, 13th and 14th of August.

Sir Walter Raleigh lived at Mitcham; Dr. John Donne, dean of St. Paul’s in 1620, was also a resident. Gorringe Park is the residence of the widow of William John Harris esq.

Manors

The manors are four in number, viz : — Biggin and Tamworth, Ravensbury, Mitcham and Fauxhail. The first two are held by the Conservators of Mitcham Common, Mitcham manor by W. F. J. Simpson, and Fauxhail by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners ; these last two have assigned their rights over Mitcham Common to the Conservators.

Landowners

The principal landowners are Mrs. Harris, G. P. Bidder, John Watney and W. F. J. Simpson, esqrs. and the trustees of the late Rev. H. W. Sibthorp.

Agriculture

The soil, a rich black mould with gravel subsoil, is laid out partly in market gardens and partly for medicinal plants, such as roses, rhubarb, liquorice, lavender, mint, camomile, poppies, peppermint, wormwood and aniseed; some of these are used for the manufacture of cordials and perfumes, particularly peppermint water, oil of lavender and rose water.

There are numerous mills on the river Wandle.

Land area and population statistics

The area is 2,893 acres of land and 22 of water; rateable value, £55,392, and the population in 1871 was 6,498, in 1881 : 8,960, and in 1891 : 12,127, including 914 in the Holborn Union Workhouse and 518 in the Holborn Union Workhouse Industrial School (SS. Peter and Paul district in 1891 was 9,325; Christ Church district in 1891 was 2,802).

Parochial Officers and Public Institutions

MITCHAM PARISH COUNCIL.

Chairman Thomas Allen, Grove road
William Catt, London road, Lower Mitcham
John R. Chart, Upper Mitcham
Charles Dungate, Colliers wood, Mitcham
Stephen Gregory, Merton lane
Charles M. Hallward, Lower green
Harbour William, 6 Park villas, Park road
F. Jones, Brenley, Tamworth park
John M. Leather, Eastfields
Alfred Mizen, Eastfields
Ernest E. Mizen, Eastfields
Rev. Robert Richman, Douglas house, High st
John Stickings, Railway cottages, Lower Mitcham
The Rev. Daniel Frederic Wilson M.A. The Vicarage, Mitcham
Churchwardens, H. Rutter & T. P. Harvey
Overseers, William Catt, E. E. Mizen, Thomas Francis, William Harbour & S. Gregory
Vestry Clerk & Clerk to the Parish Council, Robert M.Chart F.S.I. Vestry hall, Mitcham

CROYDON RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL,
Vestry hall, Lower green, Mitcham.

ELECTED MEMBERS FOR MITCHAM.

Mizen Edward Johnson, jun. Oakleigh, Eastfields, Mitcham
Pitt Mrs. Priscilla, Berkeley house, Mitcham
Simpson W F. J. Park place, Mitcham
Tomlin Francis, Upper green, Mitcham
Clerk to Rural District Council, James Wilson, 49 London road, Croydon
Consulting Surveyor to the Council, R. M. Chart F.S.I
Surveyor, Charles Law Green C.E
Surveyor’s Assistant, James Heath
Collector of Poor Rates, Samuel Love, 13 Glebe villas, Mitcham
Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator, No. 6 District, Croydon Union, Edward Marshall
Medical Officer of Health, Croydon Union & Rural District Council, L. W. Darra Mair M.D., D.P.H. 49 London road, Croydon & Fieleside, Beddington lane, Beddington
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages & Relieving & Vaccination Officer, Frederick Garniss Ebbutt, Lower green
Metropolitan Police Station (W Division), Causeway, Lower Mitcham, Station-Sergeant George Pomeroy, in charge & 4 section sergeants & 19 constables
Merton Fire Brigade, High street, Colliers wood, Merton; Charles E. S. Bill, capt. ; Frederick James Chadwick, supt
Mitcham Fire Brigade Station, Lower green, George Haselden, superintendent
Collector of Taxes,Daniel Sewell, Upper green
Sanitary Inspector for the Rural District Council of Croydon, Levi White, 10 King’s road, Upper Mitcham Holborn Union Workhouse, for 1,052 in¬mates, Western road; T. W. Norman, master ; Mrs. G. Norman, matron ; Rev. Sydney Jackson, chaplain ; Oscar Berridge Shelsweli L.R.C.P.Lond.,M.R.C.S.Eng. medical officer
Croydon Rural District Council Sewage Works Pumping Station, Byegrove road, Henry James Snook, manager
Turncock, H.J.Schneider, 2 Finboro’ rd.Tooting

Places of Worship

with times of Services.

SS. Peter & Paul’s Church, Church rd. Rev. Daniel Frederic Wilson M.A. vicar; 8.30 & 11 a.m. & 3.30 & 7p.m.; thurs. 7.30p.m.; saints’ days, 4 p.m

Christ Church, Church road, Merton, Rev. Fras. Stewart Legg M.A. vicar ; 11 a.m. & 7 p.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m.; saints’ days, 4p.m

School Church (St. Mark’s Mission District), Rev. W.M.C. McAllister B.A. Radstock house, Cedars avenue, mission clergyman; 8 & 11 a.m. & 7 p.m

SS. Peter & Paul, Catholic, Causeway, Lower Mitcham, Rev. John Warner ; 7.30 & 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; daily, 8 a.m

Baptist Chapel, Clarendon grove, Upper Mitcham, Rev. J. Thorold Figg, 3 Sandown villas, Grove road, pastor ; services, sun. 11 а.m. & 6.30 p.m

Baptist Church, Longley road, Tooting Graveney, G. H. Rumsey, 1 Havelock villas, Park road, Merton, pastor; services, sun. 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; monday, prayer meeting, 7.30 p.m. ; thurs. service, 7.30 p.m. & Saturday 7.30 p.m

Congregational, Zion, Upper green, Rev. Robert Richman, Douglas house, High street, pastor; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m

United Methodist Free Church, High street, Colliers wood, Merton, Rev. W. H. Proudlove, minister; services, sun. 11 a.m. & б.30 p.m. ; wed. 7.45 p.m

United Methodist Free Church, Lower green, Rev. Henry Codling, minister; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; thurs. 7 p.m

Gospel Hall, Longley road, Tooting Graveney

Woodite Chapel, Mitcham Common

Missions

Baptist Mission Room, Crown rd. Morden rd

Mission Room, Bath road

Christ Church Mission Room, Church road, Merton

Parish Church Mission Room, Rock terrace, Mitcham

Parish Church Mission Room, Half-Acre

Salvation Army Barracks, Gladstone road

Board Schools

A School Board of 7 members was formed in 1871, increased to 9 in 1886; W. J. Dickisson, Causeway, Lower Mitcham, clerk to the school board ; Thomas Tomkins, 4 King’s road, Grove road, attendance officer

Lower green, Mitcham, formerly National school & transferred to school board in 1871, for 260 boys, 100 girls & 160 infants; average attendance, 230 boys, 90 girls & 90 infants ; Thomas A. Compton, master ; Miss E. Rutherford, mistress ; Miss Caroline Brooks, infants’ mistress

Lower Green Boys’ School (temporary); George R. Waters, master

Killick’s lane, Upper Mitcham, built in 1884, for 400 girls & infants ; average attendance, 148 girls & 158 infants ; Miss Annie Fawcett, mistress; Miss Alice Sears, infants’ mistress

Singlegate, Church road, Merton, erected in 1874, boys, girls & infants; average attendance, 200 boys, 133 girls & 209 infants & enlarged in 1884; William Harbour master ; Miss A. Campbell, mistress ; Miss Mary Edwards, infants’ mistress

Schools

British, Upper green (girls & infants), erected in 1842, for 250 children ; average attend-ance, 240 ; Miss E. Kenyon, mistress

Christ Church Sunday Schools, Church road, Merton

Lower Mitcham, Catholic (mixed), erected about 1867, for 120 children; average at-tendance, 90; Miss Sarah M. Dawson, mist

Holborn Union Industrial, High street, Upper Mitcham, William George Benton, superintendent; Mrs. Annie Benton, matron ; Thomas R. Knight, schoolmaster; Miss Elizabeth Boto, schoolmistress

Benevolent Institution

Almshouses, Causeway, Lower Mitcham

Clubs, Societies etc.

Convalescent Home, 92 Longley road, Tooting Graveney; Miss Caroline Goldsmid, proprietress ; Miss Julia Salinger, matron

Liberty Hall, The Broadway, Mitcham

Mitcham Conservative & Unionist Club, Upper green, H. W. White, sec

Mitcham District Mutual Building Society, Vestry hall, Mitcham ; G. T. Hodges, sec

Prince’s Golf Club, Mitcham common; Robt. H. Cox, managing director

Village Club & Working Men’s Institute, High street, Colliers wood, Merton

Railway Stations

L. B. & S. C. Railway.

Mitcham Junction, Horace William B. East- land, station master

Lower Mitcham, Walter Thomas Martin, station master

Commonside West

Road from Upper Green East towards the junction with Madeira Road. Buildings are on one side only, as the other side is Three Kings Piece, which is a part of Mitcham Common. An exception being the sports changing rooms opposite Madeira Road.

Houses are numbered sequentially, from 1 (Newton House) to 72, which is part of the News of the World Houses. Between the Cold Blows footpath and the entrance to Park Places is currently only the Windmill pub and Merton Sea Cadets, but there were houses near the pub. Numbers 51 and 52 were demolished in 1967.

c.1900 : Newton House on the right in this clip from Merton Memories photo reference Mit_​2_​10-9 copyright London Borough of Merton

Occupants from Street Directories
Listed below in order from the Upper Green towards Madeira Road. The beer retailer referred to in these listings is for the Windmill pub.

1896
This directory lists the road as Mitcham Common (west side), and Cold Blows is shown as St Mary’s Avenue, which was a temporary renaming of that footpath.

John RICHENS (Newton House)
William WILLIAMSON (Holly Cottage)
Mrs SAHLER (Maori Cottage)
Christopher ROBINSON (The Lawn)
William BARNES, engineer
Mrs Lilian IRLAND, music teacher
Mrs DREWETT senior
Thomas GARDNER, furniture dealer

…. here is St Mary’s Avenue

Thomas Bodle LAWRENCE (Avenue Cottage)
James BROOKSON
James SAYERS, beer retailer
Charles GOULD
George SAWYER
John THOMPSON, diaryman
William F.J. SIMPSON (Park Place)

1904

John RICHENS (Newton House)
William Rutherford McLEOD (Holly Cottage)
William James DICKISSON (Trent Cottage)
Charles LESTER (The Lawn)
William BARNES, engineer
Thomas LAWSON, shopkeeper
Alfred GARDNER, furniture dealer

PILLAR LETTER BOX

…. here is Cold Blows

Thomas LAWRENCE
Miss SHEPHERD
Alexander Tully GRANT, beer retailer
John THOMPSON, diaryman
William F.J. SIMPSON (Park Place)

1911

Mrs RICHENS (Newton House)
William Rutherford McLEOD (Holly Cottage)
William James DICKISSON (Trent Cottage)
Charles LESTER (The Lawn)
William Howard BARNES, confectioner
William BARNES, engineer
Thomas LAWSON, shopkeeper
Alfred GARDNER, furniture dealer

LAMP POST LETTER BOX

…. here is Cold Blows

Thomas LAWRENCE, decorator
Miss SHEPHERD
Henry Edward CLISBY, beer retailer
John THOMPSON, diaryman
William F.J. SIMPSON (Park Place)

1915

Mrs RICHENS (Newton House)
William Rutherford McLEOD (Holly Cottage)
Ernest Frederick GOERING (The Nook)
Charles LESTER (The Lawn)
Mrs TURNER (Meriden)
Frank JAMES (Allesley)
William Howard BARNES, confectioner
William BARNES, engineer
George Frederick LOCKYER
Alfred E. GARDNER, furniture dealer

LAMP POST LETTER BOX

…. here is Cold Blows

Thomas LAWRENCE, decorator
James JORDAN
James BOXALL, beer retailer
John THOMPSON, diaryman
William F.J. SIMPSON (Park Place)

1925
Note that Cold Blows is not named as such, but is shown as ‘footpath to Lower Green’ i.e. the cricket green

Thomas George BAKER, builder (Newton House)
William Rutherford McLEOD (Holly Cottage)
Charles LESTER (The Lawn)
Alfred DREWITT (Fernhurst)
Mrs TURNER (Meriden)
Henry Willam ORFORD (Allesley)
William H. BARNES (Malvern)
William BARNES
George Frederick LOCKYER (The Cottage)
Alfred Ernest GARDNER, furniture dealer (Homeside)

.. footpath to Lower green ..

George Oliver NASH (North Lodge)
Lawrence Thomas BODLE, builder (Avenue Cottage)
James JORDAN
Alfred KILLICK
Harry LOCK
George WEST
Benjamin HILLS
Thomas HIGGS, confectioner
James BOXALL, beer retailer
Charles Thomas SEARS
George SAWYER
Mrs ODELL
John THOMPSON, dairy
William Charles HINES
News of the World Sports Ground (Leonard WHITE, hon. sec.) (Park Place)

In the 1938 commercial directory, T.G. BAKER is listed as builder at no. 1 Commonside West, telephone number 2915.

Spring Gardens, Church Road

A terrace of eight houses that were on the western side of Church Road, at the north corner with Aberdeen Road.

1894 OS map

Occupants in the 1896 street directory

1,John SEARS
2,Mrs SMITH
3,Mrs RUSSELL
4,James WHITE
5,Charles WESTERN
6,Joseph SIMMONS
7,Charles EDWARDS
8,Thomas MURRAY

Occupants in the 1904 street directory

1,Edward THOMPSON
2,Mrs SMITH
3,Mrs RUSSELL
4,William HUSSEY
5,Charles WESTERN
6,Alfred KNIGHT
7,Walter WATLING
8,Charles SIVIOUR

The terrace is shown on the 1911 OS map but not listed in the Kelly street directory for that year.

1911 OS map

The terrace of six houses to the north, on the same side of Church Road, is listed as Marrianne Cottages.

The terrace is not shown in the 1952 OS map:

1952 OS map


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Bridge Road

Road that was off east, or right-hand, side of Christchurch Road, opposite Runnymede. It was closed in 1966.

In this 1952 OS map, the road is shown with a single terrace of eleven houses on the north side, numbered sequentially 1 to 11.

1952 OS map

1952 OS map

Aerial photo from 1947 shows the row of houses on the left side of the road.

29th April 1947 from Britain From Above

29th April 1947 from Britain From Above

Aerial photo from 1949 shows the road looking to the west. The dome atop the tower on the right was Frys Metals factory.

19th March 1949 from Britain From Above

19th March 1949 from Britain From Above

It is not mentioned in the 1891 street directory, but there are two houses listed in the 1896 street directory and all eleven in the 1904 street directory:

1896

1, James CAVENDER, stationer
2, John STOPHER, greengrocer

1904

1, James CAVENDER, stationer
2, Arthur Thomas THORNS, greengrocer
3, Auburn Frederick ISACKE
4, Austin C HOLLANDS
5, William SHARPE
6, Arthur Albert FRISBY
7, Charles TAYLOR
8, Arthur SWINDELL
9, Robert SWINDELL
10, Edwin YOUNG
11, William YOUNG

The road was closed in 1966:

Bridge Road is to be closed down

Bridge Road, a cul-de-sac off Christchurch Road, Mitcham is to be closed. Merton Council have given planning permission to Frys Metal Foundries Ltd., for redevelopment which involves the closing of the road.

The road was originally the principle means of access to residential properties which have since been demolished. It now serves the factory premises only.

RIGHTS OF ACCESS

The council agreed to give permission provided the council’s right of adequate access to the public sewers were preserved.

Also provided that the owner of the factory should take over the responsibility for the street lamps and cables in the road, and also bear any costs incurred in closing the road.

Frys have also offered land near Bridge Road to the council free of charge for the proposed widening of Christchurch Road. The offer has been accepted.

Source: Mitcham News & Mercury, 13th May, 1966, page 1.

Occupants in 1939

1, Leonard Douglas and Elizabeth HAYNES
2, Mary Jane and Rosa FISK
3, William Charles and Alice Louisa and Christopher ADAMS
4, James and Maude BURLING
5, Robert and Gertrude MARSHALL
6, Alfred and Mabel Frances FORD
7, Robert and Doris May TAYLOR; Edith Mahala FRISWELL
8, James Alfred and Sarah Ellen DURLING
9, Henry William and Rose Florence and Florance DALTON
10, Ernest John and Flora BURLING
11, Charles Walter and Susan FRANCIS


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Romeo Villas

A row of 3 detached houses, each split into 2 residences, south of Lime Tree Cottages, on the western side of the London Road, south of Church Path. Opposite where the Baron Grove road is today.

1910-os-map-lime-tree-cottages

1910 OS map

Occupants in the 1911 street directory numbered from north to south:

3,Charles POPKINS
4,William James KENYON
5,William LUNT (market gardener)
6,Richard TICKNER & Son (furniture dealers)

Occupants in the 1896 street directory

1,George Joseph DALE
2,Miss RUTHERFORD
3,Albert Charles KNIGHT
4,Lewis McGREGOR
5,William LUNT (market gardener)
6,John James PERRY


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Gladstone Road

No longer exists. The Sadler Close housing estate was built over it, the name being kept for one of the blocks, Gladstone House.

The Mission Hall seen in the map of 1952 was opened in 1939, see Merton Memories.

From Croydon Rural District Authority Minutes read in the Local Studies Centre at Croydon library, the following plans were approved:

21/10/1897:
– Mr JM Pitt of Mitcham to erect four houses Gladstone Road, Mitcham

Occupants in the 1896 street directory
From Western Road to Sibthorp Road
NORTH WEST SIDE
Cromwell Terrace:

1,Joseph WHITEMAN
2,George SHEPPARD
3,George TOPLIFFE
4,Alfred GRAY
5,William MAYES
6,John HUMPHREYS
7,Edward Gray ARTHUR
8,John PILLINGER
9,George CRESSWELL
10,John Thomas NIGHTINGALE

5,Edmund BALL (coal dealer)

SOUTH EAST SIDE
Salvation Army Barracks


World War 1 Connections
Private William Richard Angliss

Private Henry James Collins

Private Harry George Sheppard

Youth Club details in 1949 Youth Handbook.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Glebe Villas

c. 1910

Possibly built around the 1870s, there were six pairs of semi-detached houses along the west side of London Road. They were numbered northwards from 1 to 8, and 11 to 12. The gap between 8 and 11 was filled by a pair of semi-detached houses called Thrushcross and Hayworth which were built later by Athel Russell Harwood. He lived in Thrushcross and sold the other. They were destroyed by a V1 bomb in 1944. The names Thrushcross and Hayworth are taken from street directories and the 1911 census. Eric Montague, in his book Mitcham Histories : 12 Church Street and Whitford Lane, page 108, referred to these houses as Thrushcroft and Athelstan.

In this amended OS map of 1910, the house called Raydon is now number 326 London Road, which was later renamed Kellaway House.

1910 OS map

Occupants from Street Directories

1878

2, James CLARKE
3, John WALLIS
4, Henry HAYNES
5, Henry HILL
6, Thomas YOUNG
8, Charles COLLINS

11, Gustave MEINHARD
12, William PIPER
13, George BROMAGE
14, William WILLIAMS

1896

1, Walter THOMAS
3, Henry LOVE (surgeon)
4, Miss CHART (private school)
5, Mrs PALMER
6, Samuel William READING
7, Other Windsor BERRY
8, Oscar Berridge SHELSWELL

12, Henry M MARTYN
13, Samuel LOVE (assistant overseer and rate collector)
14, Mrs WILLIAMS

1911

2, Cyril CHARLES
3, Francis Albert COLLBRAN
4, Mrs HOLDEN
5, Percy IVISON
6, Charles Harold READING (surveyor)
7, John GAFFNEY
8, William Austin WEBB

Thrushcross, Athel Russell HARWOOD

Haworth, Harold BENTLEY (surgeon)

11, William REYNOLDS
12, John COLLINS
13, Charles PROCTOR

1925
This directory shows numbers 9 and 10 instead of their names

1, Mrs SMITH
2, William ELLIOTT
3, Frederick Allan MANSBRIDGE
4, Miss Nora HOLDEN, school
5, Percy A. EVISON
6, Charles Harold READING
7, Jack GAFFNEY
8, William Austin WEBB
9, Athel Russell HARWOOD
10, Mrs TUCKER
11, John Herbert HAWKINS
12, John William MOORE
14, Mrs G. LECLERQ

An article in the Mitcham Advertiser, 16th October, 1952, on page 1, lamented the loss of village relics, including the Glebe Villas, which were cleared away for the Glebe Court housing estate.

A row of three-storey, roomy and dignified semi-detached houses of the Victorian type, with bay windows, were built by George Hills, who was born in the Elizabethan house that once stood opposite Hall Place. Bricks used in Glebe Villas were made in Mitcham.

George Hills was the father of the last of the beadles of the parish and Parish Church.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.