Tag Archives: 1878

Glebe Villas

c. 1910

Possibly built around the 1870s, there were six pairs of semi-detached houses along the west side of London Road. They were numbered northwards from 1 to 8, and 11 to 12. The gap between 8 and 11 was filled by a pair of semi-detached houses called Thrushcross and Hayworth which were built later by Athel Russell Harwood. He lived in Thrushcross and sold the other. They were destroyed by a V1 bomb in 1944. The names Thrushcross and Hayworth are taken from street directories and the 1911 census. Eric Montague, in his book Mitcham Histories : 12 Church Street and Whitford Lane, page 108, referred to these houses as Thrushcroft and Athelstan.

In this amended OS map of 1910, the house called Raydon is now number 326 London Road, which was later renamed Kellaway House.

1910 OS map

Occupants from Street Directories

1878

2, James CLARKE
3, John WALLIS
4, Henry HAYNES
5, Henry HILL
6, Thomas YOUNG
8, Charles COLLINS

11, Gustave MEINHARD
12, William PIPER
13, George BROMAGE
14, William WILLIAMS

1896

1, Walter THOMAS
3, Henry LOVE (surgeon)
4, Miss CHART (private school)
5, Mrs PALMER
6, Samuel William READING
7, Other Windsor BERRY
8, Oscar Berridge SHELSWELL

12, Henry M MARTYN
13, Samuel LOVE (assistant overseer and rate collector)
14, Mrs WILLIAMS

1911

2, Cyril CHARLES
3, Francis Albert COLLBRAN
4, Mrs HOLDEN
5, Percy IVISON
6, Charles Harold READING (surveyor)
7, John GAFFNEY
8, William Austin WEBB

Thrushcross, Athel Russell HARWOOD

Haworth, Harold BENTLEY (surgeon)

11, William REYNOLDS
12, John COLLINS
13, Charles PROCTOR

1925
This directory shows numbers 9 and 10 instead of their names

1, Mrs SMITH
2, William ELLIOTT
3, Frederick Allan MANSBRIDGE
4, Miss Nora HOLDEN, school
5, Percy A. EVISON
6, Charles Harold READING
7, Jack GAFFNEY
8, William Austin WEBB
9, Athel Russell HARWOOD
10, Mrs TUCKER
11, John Herbert HAWKINS
12, John William MOORE
14, Mrs G. LECLERQ

An article in the Mitcham Advertiser, 16th October, 1952, on page 1, lamented the loss of village relics, including the Glebe Villas, which were cleared away for the Glebe Court housing estate.

A row of three-storey, roomy and dignified semi-detached houses of the Victorian type, with bay windows, were built by George Hills, who was born in the Elizabethan house that once stood opposite Hall Place. Bricks used in Glebe Villas were made in Mitcham.

George Hills was the father of the last of the beadles of the parish and Parish Church.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

William Jeffery

1943-44 mayor of Mitcham. Born 1878, died 1966, aged 88.

Clip from Merton Memories photo 50493 (c) London Borough of Merton

Clip from Merton Memories photo 50493 (c) London Borough of Merton

COUNCIL KEEP ONE MINUTE’S SILENCE

A MINUTE’s silence was observed by Merton Council last week in memory of ex-Ald. William Jeffery who died recently.

Mayor of Mitcham from 1943-44, Mr Jeffery had been ill for some time. He was a remarkable man who retired from Mitcham Council in 1958 at the age of 80. He had completed 20 years of unbroken service.

He first came to the district in 1920 and lived at Colliers Wood before moving into the centre of Mitcham.

NEVER DEFEATED

He was elected to the Urban District Council in Mitcham in 1932 and he was never defeated in local elections.

He was chairman of many council committee meetings and was elected alderman in 1946.

The Mayor of Merton, Ald. Cyril Marsh, told Merton Council that he had written to Mrs Jeffery and had sent a wreath on behalf of the council.

Source: Mitcham News & Mercury, 4th February, 1966, page 1

CAMWAL

CAMWAL name formed from

Chemists’
Aerated
Mineral
Water
Association
Ltd.

Originally Chemists’ Aerated and Mineral Waters Association Limited, of group of chemists established and incorporated in 1878. By 1895 had factories in London, Bristol, Harrogate and Mitcham. Acquired by Barclay Perkins and Company Limited 1954.

London Metropolitan Archives
ACC/2305/03
Camwal Limited, Gifford Street, Caledonian Road, London

18950322 New Factory1895 New Factory

18950322 Pure Mineral Waters

18950322 Table Waters

Merton Memories Photos

1911
Ravenspring building 1
Ravenspring building 2


From Grace’s Guide – 1914 Who’s Who in Business

CAMWAL, Ltd., Mineral Water Manufacturers, 112, Pembroke Street, Caledonian Road, London, N.; and at Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol, Harrogate, and Mitcham.
Hours of Business: Varying according to time of year.
Established in 1878 as the Chemists’ Aerated and Mineral Water Association, Ltd.
Reconstructed in 1900 under the name of Camwal, Ltd.
Directors: Hayward M. Davenport (Chairman), Horace Davenport , Harry Kemp, Frank A. Gould.
Secretary: H. T. Butler, F.C.I.S.
General Manager: F. G. Pixie.
Specialities: Dry Ginger Ale and Stone Ginger Beer. A special Natural Water.
Inventions: Syphon Holders and Drip Catchers.
Branches: Harrogate; Manchester; Birmingham; Bristol; Mitcham, Surrey.
Connection: United Kingdom.
Telephones: (London) No. 547 North; (Manchester) No. 3761 Central; (Birmingham) East 15; (Bristol) No. 212; (Harrogate) No. 243; (Mitcham) No. 1221 Wimbledon.
Telegraphic Addresses: ” Camwal,” London, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol, Harrogate, or Mitcham.

Newspaper Articles

Daily Express, 26th November, 1900

— Camwal. Limited — the Chemists’ Aerated Mineral Waters Association, Limited—have issued a report to September 30, which is doleful reading when compared with the past history of this enterprise. The days when the old company used to pay 12 per cent. 20 per cent. seem to have quite disappeared for the moment. Expenses are high, and during the past year circumstances have been adverse in every way. But same comfort may be drawn from the fact that the reconstruction expenses have been cleared. As only £506 is being carried forward, it seems scarcely wise of the directors to distribute a dividend et the rate of 5 per cent per annum for the eight months.