Tag Archives: 1926

Caesar’s Walk

Road that runs south westerly from Cranmer Road to the footpath alongside the tram line. On this 1932 OS map, the footpath is shown as Tramway Path.

1932 OS map

Road sign at corner of Caesars Walk and Cranmer Road. The Wilson Hospital can be seen in the background.

The name of the road refers to Sir Julius Caesar Adelmere who, it was believed, had a mansion on the site where the Wilson Hospital is now. In 1598 he entertained Queen Elizabeth I. From this the names of the roads off of Caesars Walk are related to that monarch.

However, Eric Montague, in his book Mitcham Histories:11 The Cranmers, The Canons and Park Place, page 70, says that local records indicate that Sir Julius’s residence was actually south of the Burn Bullock, on the London Road.

Sir Isaac Wilson had bought in 1926 the Cranmers and surrounding land that stretched across the South London and Sutton railway line to the junction of Cranmer Road/Willow Lane with Carshalton Road. He built the eponymous hospital, which opened in 1928, as well as the Garden Village. In between the two he developed Caesars Walk, Burghley Place, Cecil Place, Walsingham Road and Hatton Gardens.

Ad for number 29, on the corner with Walsingham Road, from the Norwood News – Friday 27th October 1933

MITCHAM COMMON

(7 mins, Mitcham Junction Station, 20 mins, Town); semi-detached freehold house; built 6 years; garage; 3 bed, 2 reception,bathroom. kitchenette; gas, e. l., hot water; re-decorated; excellent condition; £650. – Owner, 29, Caesars-walk. Mitcham.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Lilian Road

Road that runs in a southwesterly direction from Greyhound Terrace and was in of the Mitcham Urban District, but is now considered as in Streatham.

This OS map of 1952 shows the boundary line running through Leonard Road to the west, and Greyhound Line to the north.

1952 OS map

Houses are numbered odd on the east side, and even on the west side, ascending from north to south.

At number 1A, on the north east corner with Greyhound Terrace, the pub called The Mitcham Mint opened in 1968. It had previously been an off-license.

Next are two terraces, numbers 1 to 11 and 13 to 21. These can be seen on this 1910 OS map:

1910 OS map

As this area is shown on the 1897 OS map as nurseries, with no roads laid out, it is likely that this road was built around 1900 to 1910.

Note that on this 1910 map, Greyhound Terrace is shown as Manor Road, which continued along the present Rowan Road to Manor Road to the Common. The name of the road signified it being the boundary of the manor. Parts of that road were renamed in 1926 when it became necessary to renumber the houses.

On the west side of the road, houses numbered 28 to 38 and 42 to 54 appear to have been built around 1910. The current numbers 49 and 42 were built in 2008, see planning application 08/P0773.