Tag Archives: 1907

Tamworth Villas

A terrace of 12 houses, built in 1907, on Commonside East, numbered 299 to 321. This part of the road is set back from the main road at its western end, and runs to Manor Road at its eastern end.

Tamworth Villas from the air

The facades of these houses have, near the roof, three small square bricks with the patterns English rose, circles, English rose. In addition there are two different friezes above and centred between each house. One of the friezes is of a man, possibly Bacchus as there is a keystone brick above the head with a bunch of grapes; the other is a woman, above whose head is a keystone of a flower.

The front door of each house is next to its neighbour, so that the first house, number 299, has its door on the right, and next to it, number 301 has its door on the left. Above each pair of doors is a frieze with the woman’s face.

Between each house there is the frieze of the man’s face.

However, when looking at the first house, number 299, the frieze with the man’s face is on the left, and a grapes keystone is left of the frieze near the edge of the wall (this bunch of grapes differs from the others in that it is angled to the right). At the other end of the terrace, at number 321, there is no extra frieze, and the keystone near the right hand edge is of a sunflower. Is no. 299 wider than no. 321?

There is an alleyway in the middle of the terrace, between numbers 309 and 311, which gives access to the back gardens. The alleyway has an arch which is formed of eleven segmental bricks, five on either side of the keystone brick. A pattern is repeated on each side consisting of two segments with a sunflower, one with grapes and two sunflowers again. The grapes and sunflower are repeated with the friezes, as described above. The keystone of the arch has a three petal flower.

Photo taken 3rd July 2020

Above the arch is a datestone showing the year 1907.

Photo taken 3rd July 2020

Above the datestone is a frieze of a sculpted face, and above that is another of the brick segment of grapes that is used in the arch.

Photo taken 3rd July 2020

This frieze, and the grapes segment above it, is repeated between alternate houses on either side of the alleyway. Between the other houses is a frieze with the sculpted face of a woman, and above that is a smaller face.

OS Maps

1910 OS map showing the terrace to the south east of Tamworth Lodge.

1910 OS map

The terrace was originally numbered sequentially, from 1 at the western end to 12 at the eastern end. The road was possibly renumbered after 1925, and the equivalent numbers are shown below.

Original Number Current Number
1 299
2 301
3 303
4 305
5 307
6 309
7 311
8 313
9 315
10 317
11 319
12 321

Occupants from Street Directories
1911-1912

1, Stanley REDPATH
2, Percy H. BUSS
4, Edward GREEN
6, James HIX
7, Arthur Ralph DAUNTON
8, William BILLINGTON
10, Edgar Arthur LETKEY

1925

1, William Alfred ROBERTS
2, Josiah WRIGHT
3, Robert Joseph EDWARDS
4, Charles Henry Joseph SAUL
5, Harry WOOD
6, Mrs NORTH
7, A. Ralph DAUNTON
8, William BILLINGTON
9, Charles H. PRIDIE
10, David A. SMITH
11, Ernest Joseph Alfred SHACKLE
12, William STILES


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Ascot Road

Road built on a former golf course, hence the name the Links Estate, in around 1907. Between Seely Road and Links Road.

1913 OS map

1913 OS map

From the minutes of the Croydon Rural District council
Volume XII 1906 to 1907
Highways and New Streets and Buildings
10th January 1907

Application number 4129 from Mac Callum Bros. to build 50 houses in Ascot Road.


Occupants rom the 1915 street directory

from Links Road:
WEST SIDE

1, Alfred John SEWELL
3, Charles Robert STEGGALL
7, John BACON
9, Henry ROCHE
11, Amos JEFF
13, William J White
15, Ernest CROOK
17, James Cameron PARHAM
19, William JOHNS
21, Bertie John SAUNDERS
23, Mrs M.A. WHITE
25, Joseph OLSTEAD
27, William BUNDOCK
29, Edward WALTERS
31, Miss DELPLANQUE
33, Charles Henry GODWIN
35, Augustus WRIGHT
37, George PARTRIDGE
39, George Campbell GRACE
Ascot Villa, William BALDRY

EAST SIDE

2, William COOK
4, Ercole RAFFONI
6, Henry John TESTER
8, Francis BLACKWELL
10, Edmund George NEALE
12, Lascoff HUMPHREYS
14, Edward James FERGUSON
16, Charles Frederick Durrie MULFORD
18, Mrs MANDER, nurse
20, Walter John ELLIS
22, Daniel Chant WILLIS
24, William John COX
26, Lewis ESCOTT
28, John SANTRY
30, William Joseph McCARTNEY
32, Walter Henry JORDAN
34, Thomas WEATHERSTON
36, James Arthur TILLOTT
38, Chalres James SCREECH
40, Mrs CLARK
42, Frederick Robert GREEN
44, Henry SPOONER
46, Arthur James REEVE
48, Herbert CROSSLAND
50, Mrs TAYLOR
52, Charles MORITZ
58, William WEXHAM
60, William Henry JULIAN

From a 1939 auction:

SALE TUESDAY EVENING NEXT.

LEONARD DAVEY & HART Have been instructed to offer by Auction, at the Greyhound Hotel. Croydon, on TUESDAY. 28th MARCH, at 6.30 p.m. The following properties:-

9, ASCOT ROAD, TOOTING JUNCTION.

— Attractive centrally situated Villa, producing £65 gross. Lease 67 years at £5.


Minutes of meetings held by the Croydon Rural District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.