Tag Archives: 1918

Gunner Robert Reader

Robert Reader enlisted in at Scotton Camp near Catterick in Yorkshire (now called the Catterick Garrison).

He was a gunner with the Territorial Force Battalion, 372nd Battery, Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery Regiment, service number 636288.

He died on 21st January 1918 in Mesopotamia, and is buried at the Baghdad (North Gate) War Cemetery, plot I row A grave 6, in Iraq.

His name is on the north side of the Mitcham War Memorial on Lower Green West.

Source:
Commonwealth War Grave Commission casualty record

His age isn’t shown on his grave details, but a Robert Reader, aged 29, was married to Amy Stacey, aged 30, on 17th November 1912, at the parish church in Church Road. His address at that time was number 4 Lewis Road, and hers was at number 2.

Assuming this is the same Robert Reader, then he died at the age of 35.

Rowland Birkett

Draper’s shop that was on the east side of the London Road, south of the Kings Head pub. This part of London Road was called The Broadway.

1917 ad for no. 2 The Broadway

In the 1918 Kelly’s directory, listed at 2, 3 and 4 The Broadway.

Mrs Rowland Birkett, draper, was listed in the 1930 commercial directory at 321 London Road.

The Swan Garage

Motor dealer and garage near the Swan pub on the western side of London Road, south of Eveline Road.

Business owned by Bertie Cyril DENDY.

He was married on 3rd August 1910 to Lilian Beatrice Mary MANSFIELD, aged 25, of 7 Spencer Road, Cottenham Park, Wimbledon. Her father is shown on the marriage certificate as Thomas Mansfield, carpenter. Bertie Dendy, also at the same address has his occupation shown as Coach Builder, the same as his father Adolphus.

The 1911 census shows him as a wheelwright:
Address: The Oakwood, London Road, Mitcham, Surrey

Adolphus DENDY, head, born 1854, aged 57, wheelwright
Frances Sarah Dendy, wife, born 1852, aged 59, married 33 years
Bertie Dendy, son, born 1881, aged 30, wheelwright
Lilian Beatrice Mary Dendy, son’s wife, born 1891, aged 20

His father Adolphus is listed in the 1915 street directory as a wheelwright at The Oakwoods, north of Oakwood Terrace. Adolphus Dendy was a District Chairman in 1907, and also landlord of the Ship pub. In the 1918 Kelly directory, Adolphus Dendy is listed as carriage & motor dealer.

From the 1925 street directory, listed in London Road going south:

Eveline villas :
10, William Arthur VLEACH
9, Ernest Alfred ARTHUR
8, Hugh ANDERSON
7, William DRAKEFORD
6, Latham Charles LATHAM

…. here is Eveline road

5, Sidney BOREHAM
3, J. W. AUSTIN & Son, provision dealers
2, Ernest REEVE, butcher
1, Miss L. FROUDE, confectioner

B. DENDY motor engineer
The Mitcham Cabinet Works (E. W. CLIFTON & C. OLDHAM, proprietors)
Swan inn, Roy DALE
B. DENDY motor engineer
Mrs. DENDY (The Oakwoods)

From the London Gazette, 2nd February, 1937:

NOTICE is hereby given that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us, the undersigned
Bertie Cyril Dendy and Arthur Henry Stanforth carrying on businees as Garage Proprietors at 174
London Road, Mitcham in the county of Surrey under the style or firm of “THE SWAN GARAGE”
has been dissolved by mutual consent as from the thirteenth day of December 1936. All debts due and owing to or by the late firm win be respectively received and paid by the said Berne Cyril Dendy.

The said business will be carried on in the future by the said Bertie Cyril Dendy.

—As witness our hands this 25th day of January 1937.

ARTHUR HENRY STAINFORTH.

BERTIE CYRIL DENDY.

Norwood News 5th May 1937 via the British Newspaper Archive

Norwood News – Friday 15th October 1937

MITCHAM’S SOLE AGENTS B. C. Dendy and Co.. Ltd., 180, London-road, Mitcham, has an advantage over other motor-dealers in Mitcham as he is the only agent in Mitcham for Morris and Ford cars. This advantage is also an advantage for prospective buyers of cars residing within easy reach of Mitcham, as one is able to see the car one wants in comfort.

Ford, of course, is known to all, as since 1903 the Ford organisation has made and sold over 25,000,000 ears. This unique record in manufacturing has only been made possible by the unusual value which Ford cars offer. The Ford “Ten” is the latest addition to Ford high-value ears, and one of the most outstanding announced for many years. It marks a new stage in the evolution of enjoyable but inexpensive motoring, offering exceptional roominess, high engineering quality. assured reliability, with remarkable economy.

His other sole agency. that of Morris cars, gives prospective buyers the opportunity of examining cars which have a reputation for fast, safe, and comfortable riding. The Morris “24” is designed in such a way that the most careful attention has been paid to those three dominating points.

The new overhead valve power unit has been thoroughly proved over an eveonsive mileage and combines surging power with the absolute reliability and smooth running for which Morris engines have been famed in the past. With a top speed of 70 miles per hour and an mildly impressive performance on the lower gears, it is more than capable of holding its own even with cars of much higher horsepower. It Is the car for the man who desires comfortable motoring.

Listed in the 1938 commercial directory as B.C. Dendy & Co., motor car agents, 174 London Road.

The Cottage Laundry

Laundry on Streatham Road, north of corner with Graham Avenue.

1911 OS Map

1911 OS Map

Listed in the 1911 commercial directory as:

S. L. Munday & Son, laundry, The Cottage laundry, Streatham road, Upper Mitcham

The size of the business can be seen when Mrs S.L. Munday goes to the Mitcham Military Service Tribunal as reported on 22nd February, 1918

Mrs. S. L. Munday, a widow, carrying on a laundry business, asked for exemption of her son, her manager. Owing to her age, it was impossible for her to carry on. She employed one hundred women, and had between three and four hundred customers. Her son’s health was not good. She had released eight men for military service, and had only appealed for this one. He was passed C8.

The Chairman: The position is exactly the same as last ?
—Yes.

Conditional exemption was granted.

The 1915 electoral register lists Selina Louisa MUNDAY living at Russelton, Graham Avenue.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

1918 Queens Road

Occupants of Queens Road, Mitcham in 1918, from the electoral registers.

Odd numbers, south side

1, Alice Elizabeth and Arthur HEALEY
1, Amy READER
3, Emma Elizabeth and Frederick Henry PENNELL
5, Edith Elizabeth and Lewis James BLOCK
7, Jane and Joseph MUNT
9, Sarah Ann and Thomas GOOD
11, Alice and William HETHERINGTON
13, Walter DIGHTON
15, Elizabeth and George SEALY
17, Clara and Frederick SEMANTS
21, Rebecca JAMES
23, Harriett KING
25, Matthew MARNEY
27, Minnietta JAMES
29, Annie AYRES
31, Esther and Matthew BRAZIL
33, William DAVIS
35, Alfred and Ocean JAMES
37, Alice and William Edward BOXALL
37, Lavinia and William Collins
39, Dorothy and Richard John CHAPMAN
41, Ethel and Luke Francis WHITEMAN
43, Kate and Charles ALLEN
45, Mabel and George COOK
47, Adelaide and William Frederick HOOKINS
51, Caroline Elizabeth and Albert MUNT

Even numbers, north side

2, Jane and Oliver Compton CRESSWELL
6, Christina and Richard Samuel BULL
8, George JELLY
8, Louisa and John NOVELL
10, Annie and George Thomas JARDINE
12, Alice and Robert MARA
14, Sarah and William JELLY
16, Annie and Edward DIXIE
22, Rebecca and Matthew MARNEY
24, Victoria Helen and Archer BLOCK
26, Mabel and Henry SALLIS
28, Fanny and Jack KINGETT
30, Jesse and Emily ADAWAY
32, Emily and William ACKERMAN
34, Adelaide and Thomas Arthur NEWSOM
36, Emily BOWERS
38, Elizabeth & David DALE
40, Florence and Tom JORDAN
42, Walter MUNT
44, Maud and Walter BOWERS
46, Ada Caroline and Charles BROOKS
48, Florence Baxter and George Thomas JEAL
50, Mary Ann and Joseph MUNT
52, Elizabeth and James SWANSBURY
54, Ada May and Herbert George TRUELOVE
56, Richard PHAROAH

A. & C. Jenner, Ltd.

Clarendon Works
5 Commonside East

Listed in the Borough of Mitcham List of Factories as General Engineers
Available at Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library. Reference L2 (670) MIT


This ad from 1973 shows that the firm was part of the Marryat Group.

From the 1918 Directory of Manufacturers in Engineering and Allied Trades courtesy of Graces Guide:

Jenner, A. & C.,
Clarendon Works,
Mitcham.
Phone : Mitcham 831
T/A : Jenner, Engineers, Mitcham.

War Work

Screw gauges. Plug and ring gauges. Press tools. Jigs and small machine tools. Millwrighting.

Pre-War Work

Press tools. Repairs to machine tools and millwrighting. General motor work. Grinding work.

Employees : Male 30, Female 0.

In 1915, Alfred and Charles Jenner lived in separate houses in nearby Clarendon Grove.

In the 1911 commercial directory:

Jenner, Alfred & Charles, mechanical engineers, Common side east

1918 Elementary Schools

From 1918 street directory

PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS.
A School Committee of 12 members was formed in 1903, increased to 18 in 1912.

Chairman, Alfred Mizen c.c
Clerk to the Committee, William Junes Dickisson, 37 Church road, Mitcham
School Medical Officer, T. Henry Jones M.D, C.M. Edin., D.P.H.
camb. 13 Penrhyn road, Kingston-on-Thames
Attendance Officer, C. W. Sanders, 42 Albert road, Mitcham

Fortescue road (boys, girls & infants), erected in 1911 for 330 boys, 330 girls & 300 infants; Harry J. Davis, master; Miss Annie Fawcett, mistress; Miss Elizabeth Freshwater, infants’ mistress

Gorringe Park, built in 1907, & enlarged in 1911, for 330 boys, 360 girls & 300 infants; manual instruction & cookery & domestic centre; Robert Thomas Jones, master; Miss Emily Fagg, mistress; Miss Sarah Ellen Waddington, infants’ mistress

Links, erected in 1912, for 350 boys, 330 girls & 300 infants ; Martin A. Fayers F.R.H.S. master; Miss S. Blake, mistress ; Miss Maria Marlow, infants’ mistress

Lower Mitcham, Church road, built in 1897, for 280 boys, 280 girls & 320 infants & enlarged in 1913 for 380 boys, 880 girls & 320 infants; John D. Clarke, master; Miss Annie Roes, mistress; Miss Ellen Smith, infants’ mistress

Lonesome, East fields (mixed), erected in 1903, for 258 children; Miss Edith H. Magee, mistress

Singlegate, Christchurch rood (boys), erected in 1911, for 360; (girls), erected in 1897 & enlarged in 1907, for 350; (infants), erected in 1874 & enlarged in 1897 & 1907, for 350 ; Archibald W. Dall B.A.Lond, master; Miss F. K. Taylor L.L.A. mistress; Miss Mary Edwards, infants’ mistress

Upper Mitcham, built in 1884, enlarged in 1912, for 330 girls & 340 infants; boys’, erected in 1896 & removed in 1912 to new building for 350, on Commonside east; George R. Waters, master; Miss Amy Sophia Beddoe, mistress; Miss Jessie Hunt, infants’ mistress

Lower Mitcham, Catholic (mixed) erected about 1867 & enlarged in 1807, for 148 children; Miss Elizabeth Davey, mistress