Tag Archives: 1927

St. Barnabas Road

Road that runs north west from west side of Streatham Road. It is parallel to, and north of, Gorringe Park Avenue. It was possibly built in the early 1920s.

1950 OS map

The houses are numbered odd on its north side, from 1 to 75 at Streatham Road, all with the postcode CR4 2DW, and even from 6 to 62, with postcode CR4 2DU.

At its western end it leads into Thirsk Avenue and on the corner is St Barnabas church. Edenvale Road cuts across the road around half way and connects to Gorringe Park Avenue.

Occupants

The road was originally called Annie Road, and its only occupant in the 1925 street directory was Francis KERBEY, at Orchard Bungalow.

In the 1930 commercial directory, Louis GOLDSTEIN, tailor, was at no. 49.

Licensed Coffee Stalls in 1927

From the UDC minutes, volume 12, pages 721/2

All were licensed for one shilling per year. Home addresses are in brackets.

Mr Osborne near Club House, Mitcham Cricket Club , Lower Green
Mr George (35 Haydons Road) Leonard Road
G. Gunner (50 Covelton Road) Croydon Road
A. Cobb (6 Acre Road) Waterfall Bridge
P. Loader (30 Grenfell Road) London Road
G.T. Harwood (23 Mount Road) Waterfall Bridge
C. Pearson Christchurch Road
C. Tortalano (3 Portland Place) near Mitcham Junction Station