Tag Archives: 1925

Tamworth Villas

A terrace of 12 houses, built in 1907, on Commonside East, numbered 299 to 321. This part of the road is set back from the main road at its western end, and runs to Manor Road at its eastern end.

Tamworth Villas from the air

The facades of these houses have, near the roof, three small square bricks with the patterns English rose, circles, English rose. In addition there are two different friezes above and centred between each house. One of the friezes is of a man, possibly Bacchus as there is a keystone brick above the head with a bunch of grapes; the other is a woman, above whose head is a keystone of a flower.

The front door of each house is next to its neighbour, so that the first house, number 299, has its door on the right, and next to it, number 301 has its door on the left. Above each pair of doors is a frieze with the woman’s face.

Between each house there is the frieze of the man’s face.

However, when looking at the first house, number 299, the frieze with the man’s face is on the left, and a grapes keystone is left of the frieze near the edge of the wall (this bunch of grapes differs from the others in that it is angled to the right). At the other end of the terrace, at number 321, there is no extra frieze, and the keystone near the right hand edge is of a sunflower. Is no. 299 wider than no. 321?

There is an alleyway in the middle of the terrace, between numbers 309 and 311, which gives access to the back gardens. The alleyway has an arch which is formed of eleven segmental bricks, five on either side of the keystone brick. A pattern is repeated on each side consisting of two segments with a sunflower, one with grapes and two sunflowers again. The grapes and sunflower are repeated with the friezes, as described above. The keystone of the arch has a three petal flower.

Photo taken 3rd July 2020

Above the arch is a datestone showing the year 1907.

Photo taken 3rd July 2020

Above the datestone is a frieze of a sculpted face, and above that is another of the brick segment of grapes that is used in the arch.

Photo taken 3rd July 2020

This frieze, and the grapes segment above it, is repeated between alternate houses on either side of the alleyway. Between the other houses is a frieze with the sculpted face of a woman, and above that is a smaller face.

OS Maps

1910 OS map showing the terrace to the south east of Tamworth Lodge.

1910 OS map

The terrace was originally numbered sequentially, from 1 at the western end to 12 at the eastern end. The road was possibly renumbered after 1925, and the equivalent numbers are shown below.

Original Number Current Number
1 299
2 301
3 303
4 305
5 307
6 309
7 311
8 313
9 315
10 317
11 319
12 321

Occupants from Street Directories
1911-1912

1, Stanley REDPATH
2, Percy H. BUSS
4, Edward GREEN
6, James HIX
7, Arthur Ralph DAUNTON
8, William BILLINGTON
10, Edgar Arthur LETKEY

1925

1, William Alfred ROBERTS
2, Josiah WRIGHT
3, Robert Joseph EDWARDS
4, Charles Henry Joseph SAUL
5, Harry WOOD
6, Mrs NORTH
7, A. Ralph DAUNTON
8, William BILLINGTON
9, Charles H. PRIDIE
10, David A. SMITH
11, Ernest Joseph Alfred SHACKLE
12, William STILES


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Love Lane

Following the road as it is currently numbered, it starts as a footpath off Church Road along the eastern side of the parish churchyard, and continues to Western Road.

1954 OS map showing the start of Love Lane at Church Road

Eric Montague, in his book, 12 Church Street and Whitford Lane, chapter 6, said that Love Lane almost certainly dated back to the Middle Ages as it served as the access lane to strips of land that stretched north of it. These strips were around a furlong, or 22 yards, in length, and the layouts of roads such as Frimley Gardens and Rodney Road to Fox’s Path, another access lane.

Entrance to Love Lane from Church Road. Photo taken when four 3-bed houses were being built on this corner by the Beaver Housing Society in 1996/7, which is now numbered as 82A Church Road.

In Love Lane, the houses with even numbers 2, 4 and 6 are on the right in the first part of the footpath, then 8, 10 and 12 are round the corner as the path heads east.

Then there is a block of four houses numbered 14, 16, 18 and 20, that have a datestone identifying it as Laburnum Cottages.

LABURNUM COTTAGES W. F. 1853

This block can be seen on this 1866 OS map:

1866 OS map

After this block the footpath ends, and on the left is a terrace of 6 houses, numbered 1 to 11. This has a name plate in the middle, partially obscured by a drainpipe, which says ‘Hope Terrace’.

Opposite this terrace are houses built around 1983, as planning permission MER170/83 was granted on 21st April 1983. They are numbered with suffixes.

Next to these houses on the right side of Love Lane is a three storey block of 12 flats called Frimley House, which has numbers 22 to 44. Possibly built late 1930s or post-WW2 as the block is not shown on the 1933 OS map.

Opposite Frimley House, and past Hope Terrace, are two pairs of semi-detached houses, numbers 11A and 15, 17 and 19. Next to 19 is number 21, a detached house that is on the corner with Frimley Gardens.

After this the roadway turns right into Church Place but Love Lane continues as a footpath until Edmund Road. On the right can be seen the remains of the entrance to the council depot.

Breeze block filling where entrance to depot was. Photo taken 20th April 2016.

Past Harwood Avenue, the next houses on Love Lane are a pair of semi-detached on the left numbered 23 (Hope Cottage) and 25 (Rose Cottage). This is the only remaining pair of such cottages from those that were built in the early 19th century. The 1896 street directory describes walking from Church Street to Western Road, i.e. in a easterly direction, and the occupants were:

Samuel BEALES (Hope Cottage)
John HUSSEY (Rose Cottage)

23 and 25 Love Lane. Photo taken 21st May 2020

Rose Cottage was the childhood home of William Henry SLATER, who emigrated to Australia in the late 1850s where he was one of the founders of the Mitcham township, now a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria.

This is followed by a terrace of 12 houses, numbered 27 to 49, which has the nameplate in the middle of ‘Douglas Cottages’. These were built in the first decade of the 20th century according to Montague., and were numbered 1 through 12, from west to east. In the 1915 directory Stewart Daniel SLATER, florist, is listed at no. 12.

1954 OS map

After Douglas Cottages is currently a nursery school, built in the early 1960s after a pair of semi-detached cottages, numbered 55 and 57, called Dent’s Cottages, was demolished. The Mitcham News & Mercury had an article in the 2nd September 1960 issue: 132-year old Love Lane cottage to come down.

Further along on the left hand side, after Dearn Gardens, are two detached houses that are set back from the road side at an angle, number 75 and number 77, the latter of which may have been called Glendene when it was occupied by George Victor DEARN, who developed Dearn Gardens.

75 Love Lane with its arched chimney stacks. Photo taken 21st May 2020

Next is a 3-storey block of 6 flats, numbered 79, 81, 83 and 79a, 81a, 83a. After which is a block of 2 houses, 85 and 87, with a third added on, number 89.

Corner of Love Lane and Taffy’s How shows no. 85, 87 and 89 Love Lane. Photo taken 15th July 2020

Houses numbers 103 to 121 were built in 1934 as part of the Pear Tree Close estate.

An older terrace of 4 houses, numbered 123 to 129, north of the corner with Westfield Road, dated from the 1880s, as are the similar houses on the north side of Westfield Road, according to Montague. The 1910-1911 street directory lists these houses as Knapdale Villas, with these occupants:

1, Frederick NEWSOM
2, Thomas ARTHUR
3, John HINCKLEY

A photo from around 1970 on Merton Memories, incorrectly labelled as Gladstone Road, shows these houses with their original slate roofs.

From Merton Memories, photo reference Mit_Streets_D_LEW_29-2

From the current footpath that leads to the Glebe Path and Queen Anne’s Gardens, on the right hand side of Love Lane northwards, were 6 pairs of semi-detached houses, five of which can be seen in this aerial photo from 1937.

1937 aerial photo from Britain From Above. Love Lane is on the right. Detached houses from right to left shown are numbers 100/102, 104/106, 108/110, 112/114, and 116/118.

Numbers 100/102 arent shown on this 1954 OS map, so may have been destroyed in the war. All six were demolished by the end of the 20th century and replaced by houses and bungalows.

1954 OS map

This 1910 OS map shows all 6 of the semi-detached houses.

1910 OS map

In the 1925 street directory, these houses were numbered from the Western Road end, from 1 sequentially to 12.

1, William John UPTON
2, John BICKNELL

3, John CARRETT
4, George William SLATER

5, Samuel Henry BATEMAN
6, Arthur Goodwin FUNNELL

7, Mrs GEORGE
8, Henry James STEERS

9, Hoseph George WHITE
10, Henry DEARN

11, Hames Joseph GRACE
12, Leonard George FORTNAM

In the 1898 street directory, no. 6 was also known as Ivy Cottage and no. 7 as Jasmine Cottage.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.