From the Mitcham News and Mercury, 20th of October 1933, page 1
Mitcham boy shot in leg
Accident When After Rats
Operation on Sunday
A number of lads were shooting rats with a small shotgun in Reader’s-yard, Lewis Road, Mitcham, on Saturday afternoon when George William Hutton (age 13), Lewis Cottages, Lewis Road, Mitcham, was accidentally shot in the right leg.
He told his parents, and his father at once took him to Wilson Cottage Hospital.
On Sunday the boy was operated upon at the hospital, and over 50 pellets were extricated from the leg.
He has since made satisfactory progress.
Mrs Hutton, the boy’s mother, told a “Mercury” reporter that her boy managed to crawl home with his leg bleeding, and his father carried him to hospital on the front of his bicycle.
“My boy told us it was not anybody’s fault,” she added. “The shooting was accidental while they were walking together in the yard. The shotgun belongs to one of the other boys and went off when they collided with each other.”