Tag Archives: 1934

Edenvale Road

Road that runs northward from Gorringe Park Avenue, crossing St Barnabas Road to Ashbourne Road. Its shape seems to follow the path that separated Gorringe Park House from the farm on its east side, as shown on this OS map of 1911.

1911 OS map

The 1925 street directory names the road as Eden Vale and lists the properties from number 79 Ashbourne Road:

East side.

North Mitcham Improvement Association Sports Ground
William TYRELL, poultry farm

West side.

1 through 17

… here is Milton rd

19 through 33

This directory only lists odd-numbered houses on the west side of the road. The electoral register for Autumn 1925 also lists only the odd numbers, and the occupants were:

1, Frederick Walter and Ethel CATTERMOLE
3, David MUSTARD; Thomas TAYLOR
5, Joseph William GOBBY; Kezia Maude ADAMS
7, Marguerite BROWITT
9, Harold and Mary Elizabeth ODAM; Mary Elizabeth WOOD
11, David and Annie McGREGOR
13, John Joseph HANDCOCK; William John BATTLE
15, Frederick LIFE; Charles BECKETT
17, George Frederick GOODBODY; Ernest WALLER
19, Thomas Robert and Ethel Elizabeth BLACKMORE; Francis LAMBLE
21, Frederick William HALLET; Bertram Charles AGATE
23, Cecil Armfield WAKELING
25, Elizabeth WISEMAN; Sydney William EADE
27, Walter William and Emily STALLWOOD
29, James Thomas and Hilda JACKSON
31, Minnie TURNER

North Surrey Poultry Farm, Albert and Louise TYRELL

The Autumn 1926 electoral adds some even-numbered houses:

2, Alonzo James & Margaret Mary SHARP
4, William and Jemima and Harold Percy BULL
6, Nellie Hannah GREENSTREET
8, Arthur and Gertrude HULKS
10, Albert George and Lucy Matilda CONSTABLE

North Surrey Poultry Farm, Albert and Louise TYRELL

In the 1929 electoral register appears more even-numbered houses, from 12 to 28:

2, Victor and Florence ANGLE
12, Bernard Eden and Dorothy Charlotte CANDY
14, Frank and Mabel Winifred CHEESMAN
16, George Boswell and Getrude Maud CHAMPNISS; John William McFarlane and Margaret Josephine KIDD
18, Ernest Leslie and Emily Beatrice ANSTY Joseph John and Elsie Mabel IVE
20, Hedley Frank and Margaret Gertrude JACKSON
22, Thomas Joseph and Annie Esther SAGE
24, Frederick William and Rebecca Esther EAGLESTONE
26, Benjamin Frederick James and Norah Winifred BALDWIN; Percy Edward and Kathleen DODSWELL
28, Ivan Albert and May and Ellen WEALE

North Surrey Poultry Farm, Albert and Louise TYRELL

1932 is the last year that the poultry farm is listed in the electoral registers. In 1934 there are more even-numbered houses from 30 to 36.

This 1950 OS map shows ‘Tennis Courts’ on the east side of Edenvale Road. These were on the North Mitcham Improvement Association sports ground referred to in the 1925 street directory.

1950 OS map


Embed from Getty Images

High jump athlete Dorothy Tyler-Odam MBE moved to Edenvale Road as a young girl with her parents. From the 1925 electoral register, she lived at number 9. She died in 2014, aged 94.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

C.E. Spence

Newsagent and stationer who had a shop from around 1914 at number 5 the Broadway,
which was later renumbered as 323 London Road, as shown in this ad from the 1934 Official Guide to Mitcham:

1934 ad

Text of ad:

The Mitcham Circulating Library
Also SUBSCRIPTION LIBRARY

in connection with
MESSRS. W. H. SMITH & SON
2d. Volume – – No Deposit.

C. E. SPENCE

ARTISTIC PRINTER :: STATIONER
BOOKSELLER AND NEWSAGENT
BOOKBINDER :: PICTURE FRAMER
FANCY NEEDLEWORK :: TOYS

(Agent for Pullar’s Dye Works).

323 London Road, LOWER MITCHAM

In the 1913 directory, the newsagent is listed as John James KENYON. In the 1915 directory it is C.E. SPENCE.


From Ancestry:

In the 1939 register, Charles Edward SPENCE, stationer newsagent, born 1872, lived at 323 London Road with his wife Fanny E.M.B. SPENCE.

He died in 1941 and left £590 4s. to his widow Fanny Emma Mary Broadridge SPENCE.


Mitcham Tyre Mart

Tyres etc. service since 1934.

Listed as 408 London Road in the 1952 Chamber of Commerce, the 1971 telephone directory and shown in this ad from 1963:

ad from Mitcham and District Advertiser, 3rd January, 1963.

Proprietor A. PAYNE

According to the MGM Services website:

When the owners retired around 2013 the premises of Mitcham Tyre Mart at 339 London Road, CR4 4BE, were taken over by MGM.

Screenshot of MGM Services website, dated 2013, in case it is taken down.

See also MGM Automobile Engineer

Surrey Arms coat of arms

Photo taken 2016. The pub sign is no longer hanging from its frame on the pub sign post.

Photo taken 2016. There are two coat of arms signs on the flanking walls of the pub building.

The coat of arms displayed on the walls of the Surrey Arms pub are for the county of Surrey. These arms were in use from 8th August 1934, and were replaced on September 20, 1974.

The description or blazon of these arms :

Per pale Azure and Sable a Fess per pale Ermine and Or in chief a representation of the Crown of King Edgar proper and a Sprig of Oak fructed Argent.

King Edgar, as well as several other Saxon kings, were crowned in Kingston. The ermine underneath the crown is from the arms of the Borough of Richmond. When Kingston and Richmond became part of Greater London, they left Surrey and so these arms were changed.

The sprig of oak and the colours azure and sable (blue and black) have been retained on the current arms for Surrey, see the Heraldry of the World website.

Woodland Way

Road off west side of Streatham Road, which runs south from Ashbourne Road and bends westward to Edenvale Road.

The road was started early 1920s. The 1921 electoral register shows two houses, named Elm View and Shalimar.

Elm View, Charles and Catherine WILSON; Cordelia REES
Shalimar, Lionel Thomas PAY

The 1925 street directory describes the road from 123 Ashbourne Road:

West Side
21 Mrs C.E. REES
23 Captain Ivor THOMAS

The 1927 electoral shows

21, Catherine WILSON; Cordelia and Malan REES
23, Tuda Iver Griffith THOMAS

The 1935 electoral register lists odd numbers 1 to 53, and even numbers 2 to 60.

This 1949 OS map shows the road, including the North Mitcham Improvement Association Hall.

1949 OS map

1949 OS map

News Articles
1923 burglary of Miss Cordelia Rhys (presumably the same Cordelia Rees in the electoral registers)


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Prince Georges Road

Road off east side of junction of Christchurch Road and Church Road, opposite Liberty Avenue. It was within the Mitcham Urban District although as letters were delivered from Merton, it acquired a SW19 post code.

In the 1891 street directory it was listed as Prince of Wales Road, probably in connection with the nearby Prince of Wales pub.

Prince of Wales road (Merton)
from Merton Lane
William Croft, pig dealer
Walter Shepherd, pig dealer
Henry Davison, pig dealer
Benjamin Bolton, pig dealer
Stephen Holloway, pig dealer
Charles Leaver, pig dealer
George Thatcher, pig dealer
Joseph Randall, pig dealer
Singlegate Schools

1895 OS map

1895 OS map

In this 1895 map, it is shown as Prince’s Road.

1911 OS map

1911 OS map

The 1915 directory shows 2 pig dealers:

Prince’s Road (Merton)
from Western Road

NORTH SIDE

Singlegate Council Schools
(girls & infants)

3 Robert Davison, pig dealer
11 William Whittick, pig dealer

The road led to land that used by London colleges as playing fields, as shown in the 1930 Commercial Directory:

Battersea & Chelsea Polytechnics, athletic ground, Princes rd. T N 0852
The Esco Sports & Social Club (A. P. Lawson, sec. ),Princes rd
James Ferguson & Sons Ltd. ebonite dust mfrs. Princes rd. T A “ Nestorius, Toot; ” T N 2283

Which has led to the names of the business parks College Fields, at the eastern end of Prince Georges Road and Chelsea Fields, off Western Road.

The name of this road was changed after a request by the London County Council. They said that there were 10 Prince’s Roads in the LCC area with 4 of these were in the SW19 district. The Borough of Mitcham decided in 1934 to change Princes Road to Prince Georges Road.

1952 OS map

1952 OS map