Tag Archives: 1954

Hatton Gardens

A cul-de-sac road that is off of the east side of Caesars Walk, after Walsingham Road.

1954 OS map

The name refers to Christopher Hatton, Lord Chancellor to Elizabeth I. See wikipedia entry.

This road, and the other roads between the railway line and the Wilson Hospital were on the former estate of The Cranmers which was bought by Isaac Wilson in 1926. All these roads have names related to Elizabeth I.

As entered from Caesars Walk, the houses on the left, north side, are numbered odd from 1 to 35, with three terraces of six houses each. At the end of the road is a square, offset to the north, with a terrace of six houses, numbered 37 to 47, and then a smaller terrace of three houses, which is at right angles to the rest of the road, numbered 49 to 53. The houses on the south side of the road are numbered even from Caesars Walk end from 2 to 36, also in three terraces of six houses. This is followed by two terraces of three houses each, numbers 38 to 42, and 44 to 46. At the end of the square, at right angles, is a terrace of four houses, numbered 48 to 56.

All even house numbers have the postcode CR4 4LG, and odd houses have CR4 4LJ.

No. 37 was extended and 37A added to its side, as per planning application 18P0893.

Occupations from the 1939 Register
Duplicates have been removed.

Assistant Serving Manager United Dairies
Automobile Tester (One Man Business )
Bench Hand Fitter
Book-Keeper (Full Set of books)
Builders Labourer
Builders Labourer Heavy Worker
C O Accountant Generals Dept G P O London
Carpenter
Carpenter & Joiner
Carpenter & Joiner Incapacited
Certificated Teacher
Cinema Attendant
Clerical Officer Inland Revenue
Clerk Civil Engineering Public Works & Buildings
Clerk Incapacited
Clerk Shorth-hand Typist Secretary
Coach Painter
Coal Merchant
Coal Merchants Junior Clerk
Cook
Court Dressmaker
Currier Machine Leather Heavy Worker
Dealer in Meat (Manager ) 148-50 Rushey Green S E 6
Domestic Cook
Driver Cooked Meat Salesman
Electrician-Wireman Building Trade
Embosser (Soft Toys )
Engineers Tool & Jig Maker
Filler (Motor Work)
Foreman Paint Grinder Heavy Worker
Gas Service (Area Representative) Gas Co
General Clerk
Home Duties
Hotel Proprietress Retired
Household Duties
Household duties (unpaid)
Housekeeper
Housewife
Import Stock Clerk
In Partnership Also Clerical Painter, Paperhanger Decorator
Incapacitated
Incapacitated (T B )
Insurance Agent
Junr Draughtsman
Lift Engineer Fitter
Lift Engineers Mate
Lift Erector (Electrical Mechanical) Heavy Work
Literary Editor
Lorry Driver
Machine Shaver Leather Dresser Heavy Worker
Mechanic
Medical Student
Mess Room Attendant
Motor Driver
Motor Lorry Driver (Gas Stone) Delivery Heavy Worker
Motor Transport Garage Hand
Motor Transport Operation Clerical
Motor Vehicle Building & Repairing Senior Clerk Wages Dept
Museum Clerk & Supervisor (Medical )
Now Woodworking Min Foreman Carpenter & Joiner Setter As
Old Age Pension
Old Age Pensioner
Omnibus Conductor
Order Typist
Packer at Pains Fireworks Factory
Paint Manufacturer Manager
Plasterer
Pneumatic Driller & Driver Heavy Worker
Printers Estimating & Cost Clerk
Printers Reader
Printers Warehouseman Heavy Worker
Production Clerk
Rag Dealer
Railway Relief Clerk Qualified Stationmaster
Railway Ticket Inspector Travels Qualified Station Master
Record Clerk Manufacturing in Charge Chemists
Relief Foster-Mother County Council Childrens Homes
Retired Baker
Retired Pensioner NCO Royal Mariner
School Caretaker
Sheet Metal Worker
Sheet Metal Worker (General)
Shop Assistant (Shoes)
Shop Assistant Grocery
Shorthand Typist
Signalman Southern Railway
Sports Trade Wood Worker
Supervising Sorting Clerk & Telegraphist G P O
Synthetic resins & Varnish Maker
Telephone Operator
Tester of Valves
Unpaid Domestic Duties
Upholsteress
Wages Clerk Gas Co
Waitress
Wife
Wire Worker Lampshades etc. Manufacturing

1967 postcard addressed to Mr & Mrs Gower, 26 Hatton Gardens


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Denham Crescent

Road off east side of Bramcote Avenue, both of which were built in 1935 on land that had been the market gardens of Mr W. Carlton.

possibly taken in 1935 after the road had been built – the view is looing south along the longest part of the road

Google StreetView of the road:

The road is a square rather than a crescent, as can be seen in this 1954 OS map.

1954 OS map

The houses are numbered odd, from 1 to 67, on the outer part of the square, and even from 2 to 28 on the inner part. The first house, no. 1, and the last house, no. 67, are physically attached to terraces in Bramcote Avenue, with the entrance door facing Denham Crescent. Odd numbered houses all have the postcode CR4 4LZ, and the even numbered houses have CR4 4LY.

The pair of semi-detached houses in the south corner, no.s 47 and 49, were demolished and a smaller pair built allowing access to a new road, called Canons Close, two pairs of semi-detached houses. Planning application 09/P2248, which had around a dozen objections, was given permission on 25th June 2010:

Demolition of existing properties at 47-49 Denham Crescent and the construction of 6, four bedroom semi detached houses with accommodation over 2 storeys and the roofspace including a pair of properties adjacent to 45 Denham Crescent with a new road providing access to four semi detached properties at the rear of the site.

The houses in Canons Close all have the postcode CR4 4FJ.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.