Tag Archives: 1986

Mitcham Building Society

Building society that was at number 173 London Road, CR4 2JB, on the corner with Downe Road.

According to the Building Societies Association Handbook (pdf), the Mitcham Building Society merged with the South Metropolitan Permanent in July 1977 to form the Mitcham & Metropolitan. It also had a branch at 38 Stafford Road, Wallington, SM6 9AA. Transfer was then made to the Sussex County in April 1986.

c. 1987 clip from Merton Memories photo reference Mit_​7_​1-93 copyright London Borough of Merton

Established 1883 according to this account book from 1970:

Account book with a start date of January 1970