Tag Archives: 1894

The Links Estate

Housing built on a former golf course, and named after it, south of the river Graveney and north of the railway line the connects Tooting and Streatham stations. The area was in the urban district of Mitcham and, despite the SW17 postcodes, is part of the London Borough of Merton today.

The area was part of the Furzedown Estate, owned by Sir Charles Seely, whose name was given to one of the roads. The golf course had been rented by the Tooting Bec Golf Club, who declined Sir Seely’s offer to sell it to them. Source: Golf’s Missing Links.

1894 OS map

From the Birmingham Mail – Thursday 15 February 1906

WHERE CHARLES PEACE WAS A VISITOR.

Furzedown Park, one of the few remaining country estates within the county of London, has been sold by Sir Charles Seely to a gentleman who intends to cut it up for building purposes. It lies between Streatham and Tooting, and its mansion commands an extensive view of the Surrey hills. Among notable visitors to the mansion was Charles Peace, who went uninvited, and carried away many interesting souvenirs in the form of plate and other valuables. Instead of entering by the front door, Charlie climbed a tree, and took advantage of a branch that almost touched window. The tree is regarded as one of the curious things of the neighbourhood, for Charles Peace was great man —in his way.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Mitcham Park

Mitcham Park is a road that runs from off the south side of Cricket Green by the Mitcham Police station, and connects to the east side of the London Road, north of the former Mitcham railway station.

As of 2018, Royal Mail lists four postcodes for this road:

CR4 4EN : odd numbers 1 to 31
CR4 4EG : even numbers 2 to 32 and East Lodge
CR4 4EP : odd numbers 29 to 59
CR4 4EJ : even numbers 34 to 106.

The block of flats on the corner with London Road, was built on the site of 389, 391 and 393 London Road in 2005/6. The block consist of 28 flats, and it was given the address of 59 Mitcham Park. See planning permission 04/P2012.

1953 OS map

Other OS maps below show the development of the road.
1894
1910
1933

An auction in 1902 describes the two semi-detached houses on the west side of Mitcham park: from the South London Press – Saturday 09 August 1902, via the British Newspaper Archives.

Close to Mitcham Common – TWO PAIRS of semi-detached ViLLAS, known as Nos. 1, 3, 5, and 7, Mitcham Park. Each house contains five bed rooms, two reception rooms, kitchen, and usual offices. No. 1 let at £60 per annum. Nos. 5 and 7 let at £55 per annum each. No. 9 will be sold with the advantage of vacant possession, but of the estimated rental value of £60 per annum, at which rental it now Iet. Lease about 90 years; ground rent £8 each.

Douglas Young & co. will sell the above by AUCTION, at the Mart, E.C., on Wednesday, September 10, 1902, at 2 o’clock precisely. Particulars and conditions of sale may be obtained at the Mart. E.C : of the Solicitors, Messrs. GEDGE, KIRBY, & MILLETT. 11, Great George-street. Westminster: or of the Auctioneers, 51, Coleman-street. K.C., and 213, Clapham-road. S.W.

These aerial photos of the houses show their single, high pitch roof which differs from the other houses that have double-pitched roofs.

Semis 1 & 3, and 5 & 7, Mitcham Park

West side of Mitcham park, from number 1 at the top to number 19 and the bottom

Occupants

1904
West Side
1, Miss COLES
5, John Marsh PITT
7, George BRIDGE
15, Rev. John EDGELL
19, William W. THOMSON
33, Hugh Knight
37, Reginald Pocock BARROW
39, Charles OGDEN
43, Evans FAWCUS
47, Joseph BEARDMORE
53, James W. BOWDING
55, Col. Ernest GRATTAN

East Side

East Lodge, James JOHNSON
2, Felix Andre Jules MOYSE
6, Francis Ringler THOMSON
10, P.A. LEON
12, Mrs HARVIE
14, A.I. SUCKLING-BARON
16, Arthur Ernest ANWYL
22, Miss ANDERSON
26, Arthur Henry BALFOUR
28, Alfred MILLER
32, Wilson ALDWINCKLE

Note that all of these houses, from 15 to 55, and 2 to 32, are of the same design, namely double-pitched roofs with square-U layout to rear.

1953 OS map

This map of 1894 shows the land around Mitcham Hall where Mitcham Park was built, up to Jeppos Lane.

1894 OS map

The land was auctioned in the same year, as listed in the Willesden Chronicle – Saturday 12 May 1894, via the British Newspaper Archive.

In a marquee on the Estate, on MONDAY, June 1, 40 Plots, first portion of the Mitcham Park Estate, adjoining the railway station, and in the centre of the town, fronting on the main road from London to Epsom.

Also, in one lot, the Freehold family Mansion, known as Mitcham Hall, with its beautifully-timbered pleasure grounds and gardens of five acres, and two excellent semi-detached villas.

Vender’s Solicitors. Messrs. Gedge, Kirby, and Millett, 1, Old Palace-yard, S.W.; Architect and Surveyor, W. Mac Thompson, Esq., Holly – cottage, Mitcham

This 1910 map shows the square U-shaped houses that were built:

1910 OS map

The 1933 map shows further development of smaller houses along the south side of the road, and between the gaps on the north / west side.

1933 OS map

News Articles

From the Western Daily Press – Friday 16 August 1935:

The birth of a son at Mitcham Park, Mitcham, to Mrs Winifred Freeman — Miss Polly Ward, the revue actress and dancer is announced.

Mrs Freeman is the only daughter of Miss Winifred Ward, the principal boy, and granddaughter of the late Will Poluski, the Victorian comedian. She was married in 1928 to Mr Robert Sydney Freeman, ” the hero of her schooldays.”

Advert from Norwood News – Friday 20 February 1953

WANTED. Teacher, preparatory school for boys and girls. 6 to 7 1/2

Clarendon Preparatory School, 17 Mitcham Park, Mitcham. Tel. Mitcham. 1444

The widow of the Reverend Lipshytz lived at number 6.

The Medical Officer for Health, A.T. Till, lived at number 31, which was bombed in the Blitz.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Homefield House

House in Phipps Bridge, home to the Harland family. The varnish factory of William Harland & Sons Ltd. was just to the north, as can be seen on this 1894 map:

1894 OS Map

1894 OS Map

Merton Memories Photos
1920 view of factory buildings
aerial view of factory


Land registered in 1935 by New Ideal Homesteads Ltd., see London Gazette Publication date:10 September 1935 Issue:34197Page:5757

Demolished to make way for Homefield Gardens estate, built by Ideal Homesteads, the same builder of Bramcote Avenue and Denham Crescent.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Robinson Lane

Described in the 1891 street directory as in Tooting Graveney and being from Robinson Road to Mitcham Road.

The London Road south of Tooting railway station was called Mitcham Road possibly as far south as Tamworth Farm. Although not shown as Robinson Lane on this 1894 OS map, the road to the east of the railway line that leads to Swain’s Lane may be it.

1894 OS map

1894 OS map

There are 10 houses, arranged as two terraces of five houses each, on the south side with one house on the north side, as described in the 1891 street directory:

NORTH SIDE

Henry Taylor, cowkeeper

SOUTH SIDE

10, Daniel Quinton
9, Mrs Brockwell
8, John Richard Smith
7, Thomas Henry Parsons
6, Mrs Bentley
5, Alfred Nunn, grocer
4, Richard Pocock
2, Thomas Burge
H. Nicholls, market gardener

The 1896 Kelly’s London Suburban Directory lists Harry Nicholls as a market gardener in Robinson Lane.

Occupants in 1901 Kelly’s London Suburban Directory (Vol. II: Southern. Part 1: Street & Commercial Directories), listed as Robinson Lane, Mitcham Road:

Harry Nickolls, market gardener
5, Alfred Nunn, shopkeeper

The 1915 street directory no longer has a Robinson Lane, and the occupants of Swain’s Lane, from London Road, were:

SOUTH SIDE

Frederick Nicholls, market gardener (Swain’s Farm)
Reginald Rainger, poultry farmer (Rose Cottage)
5 George Green, laundry

It is possible then that, between 1901 and 1915:

a) the Mitcham Road south of Tooting railway station to Tamworth Farm was renamed London Road; and
b) Robinson Lane was renamed part of Swain’s Lane and the house numbers were changed to suit.

Swains Lane was later renamed Swains Road.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Tramway Terrace

Tramway Terrace was the name of 30 houses, south of Arney’s Lane, and north of Goat Road. They were numbered from 1 to 30 going from south to north.

In the 1925 street directory, the houses had been renumbered as part of Carshalton Road, going north to south as 24 to 53 inclusive.

Bing Birdseye view

Bing Birdseye view

1894 OS map

1894 OS map

Occupants

1915
3, George HART
4, Alfred George HALLIDAY
5, William Henry NEWTON
6, William Joseph JOHNSON
8, Arthur HENN
9, Frederick HURFORD
10, John DIXON
11, Reginald ABRAHAM
13, Arthur ANDREWS
14, Henry Edward ELVERSTON
18, Charles William NEWELL
19, John Childs TICEHURST
20, Thomas YATES
21, Benjamin MARSHALL
22, Robert BARKWELL
23, Thomas Henry BAND junior
24, George BARTLETT
25, Edgar John LAVERS
26, William BECKLEY
27, Vincent TAYLOR (insurance agent)
29, Frederick LORD
30, Harry SANDERS

World War 1 Connections
Private Frank Henn


Newspapers

From the Church Times, 29th June, 1900, page 755 :

Wanted situation as gardener. Orchid culture a speciality. Married. Communicant. Good Churchman. Bass voice for choir. Good reader and soloist. Excellent references.

Basso, 27 Tramway Terrace, Mitcham Junction, Surrey.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Arnold Road

Arnold Road is off the west side of London Road, south and parallel to Finborough Road. All properties in this road have the same postcode, SW17 9HU. Although in Mitcham, this road has a Tooting postcode as post was originally delivered from the Lower Tooting post office.

There were 20 large houses, or villas, that were built sometime before 1880. They were each converted into 2 self-contained flats, according to planning application MER456/75, which was granted in January 1976.

This OS map of 1894 shows five linked semi-detached houses on both sides of the road.

1894 OS map

These 20 houses were numbered sequentially from 1 to 10 on each side.

They were built before 1880, as occupants are shown in that year’s directory :

(Note that this directory doesn’t say which side of the road these houses are on, and so it has been deduced from later directories.)

NORTH SIDE

1, John Frederick BUCCLEUGH
2, James Henry COLLINGWOOD
3, Samuel BENIAMS
5, William ANCELL
6, Mrs AUSTIN
7, Mrs MORTON
8, Frederick GRITTEN
9, Samuel PRENTICE
10, William JONES

SOUTH SIDE

3, John YOUNG
5, Miss OWEN
6, Frank MULLINS
Fairlight Villa, Mrs TOHLER
9, George TYLER

The 1891 street directory describes the road as from the western end to the Mitcham Road, as that part of London Road was called at the time.

NORTH SIDE

10, Miss Mary JONES
9, W.G. ROLFE (Hazeldene)
5, Mrs ARMITAGE
4, John YOUNG
3, Theo George SCHOMBURG
2, James Henry COLLINGWOOD

(Note that there were no entries for 1, 6, 7 and 8)

SOUTH SIDE

2, Horace Godbold DARBY
3, John BECKETT
4, Miss TURNER
5, Henry CHATAWAY (Waltair)
7, J. HOLMAN (Fairlight villa)
8, Mrs. OSWIN (Brooklyn)
9, H.W.TAYLOR (Wraxall)
10, Edward HORSEY

(Note that there were no entries for 1 and 6)

The 1894 street directory shows more houses occupied and gives more house names.

NORTH SIDE

10, Miss Mary JONES
9, W.G. ROLFE (Hazeldene)
8, Mrs KNIGHT (Glynavon)
7, Mrs PRITCHARD (Avondale)
6, Mrs Mary DAVIS
5, William BRIGHTWELL
4, Mrs SHEAR (Defoe)
3, Theo George SCHOMBURG
Ernest THOMPSON (Cwmbrook)

(Note that a number is not shown for Cwmbrook, which could be either 2 or 1)

SOUTH SIDE

1, Thomas R. KNIGHT
2, Charles A. BURNE
3, Leonard A. NEWSOM
4, Claude Albert MILLARD
5, Charles FISHER (Waltair)
7, Thomas Edward B. SWALLOW (Fairlight)
8, Joseph Wallis HEWETT (Brooklyn)
9, Mrs H.W. TAYLOR (Wraxall)
10, Spencer SOAN
Mrs Elizabeth TAYLOR, cow keeper

(cowkeeper Mrs Taylor is likely to be the same at Crusoe Dairy Farm, at the western end of Arnold Road)

In the 1912 street directory, the houses have been renumbered even on the north side and odd on the south, from London Road. Except one, the house names are no longer shown.

NORTH SIDE

2, James Edward WHEELER
4, David Scott WILLIAMSON
6, Robert Arthur SIMMONS
8, Mrs Edgley
10, Henry Claude TAYLOR
12, Henry THOMPSON
14, George THOMAS
16, Richard FRYER
18, Mrs HARDING
20, Charles P. LOWS

SOUTH SIDE

1, Thomas R. KNIGHT
3, Mrs STRATTON
5, Charles MILLISH
7, Harry George ROUSE
9, Mrs MOORE
11, Cyrus COOMBS
13, Sydney Adolphus CURRY
15, Joseph Wallis HEWETT (Brooklyn)
17, William SEAGER
19, Thomas TAYLOR, cowkeeper

This OS map from 1951 shows the numbering of the houses as they are today.

1951 OS map

The map shows the addition of another house on the north side, numbered 2A/2B, and a garage on the south side, the front of which can be seen in this 1952 photo:

clip from 1952 photo on Merton Memories, photo reference Mit_Streets_Lon_38-40

Lex Garages Ltd., was listed in the 1954 phone book as at 66 London Road, telephone MIT 3951.

In the 1971 phone book it was the Monza Garage service station, which sold Lada cars at some point, with telephone numbers 01-648 9559 and 4091.

At the same address, in the warehouse at the back of the garage was Bearmach (London) Ltd., exporter of motor components, telephone 01-648 9654. This company employed me for £20 a week as a summer job in 1973. The job included taking Land Rover spares out of their boxes and putting them into Bearmach boxes for sale abroad.

This warehouse was redeveloped in 2016 into 4 town houses called Tota Mews, according to planning application 16/P0833, which was granted in May that year. The townhouses have their entrances in Arnold Road, with their rear gardens and garages backing onto Swains Road.

In 2020, the garage site on the London Road is a Halfords Autocentre.


World War 1 Connections

Trooper Leslie Seymour EDGLEY

From the Surrey Recruitment Registers:

A ELMS of 7 Arnold Road, Tooting Junction, aged 24 Years 9 Months, Painter. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 11 December 1915 to the Army Service Corps (K Coy).

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.