Tag Archives: 1894

Mitcham Park

Mitcham Park is a road that runs from off the south side of Cricket Green by the Mitcham Police station, and connects to the east side of the London Road, north of the former Mitcham railway station.

As of 2018, Royal Mail lists four postcodes for this road:

CR4 4EN : odd numbers 1 to 31
CR4 4EG : even numbers 2 to 32 and East Lodge
CR4 4EP : odd numbers 29 to 59
CR4 4EJ : even numbers 34 to 106.

The block of flats on the corner with London Road, was built on the site of 389, 391 and 393 London Road in 2005/6. The block consist of 28 flats, and it was given the address of 59 Mitcham Park. See planning permission 04/P2012.

1953 OS map

Other OS maps below show the development of the road.
1894
1910
1933

An auction in 1902 describes the two semi-detached houses on the west side of Mitcham park: from the South London Press – Saturday 09 August 1902, via the British Newspaper Archives.

Close to Mitcham Common – TWO PAIRS of semi-detached ViLLAS, known as Nos. 1, 3, 5, and 7, Mitcham Park. Each house contains five bed rooms, two reception rooms, kitchen, and usual offices. No. 1 let at £60 per annum. Nos. 5 and 7 let at £55 per annum each. No. 9 will be sold with the advantage of vacant possession, but of the estimated rental value of £60 per annum, at which rental it now Iet. Lease about 90 years; ground rent £8 each.

Douglas Young & co. will sell the above by AUCTION, at the Mart, E.C., on Wednesday, September 10, 1902, at 2 o’clock precisely. Particulars and conditions of sale may be obtained at the Mart. E.C : of the Solicitors, Messrs. GEDGE, KIRBY, & MILLETT. 11, Great George-street. Westminster: or of the Auctioneers, 51, Coleman-street. K.C., and 213, Clapham-road. S.W.

These aerial photos of the houses show their single, high pitch roof which differs from the other houses that have double-pitched roofs.

Semis 1 & 3, and 5 & 7, Mitcham Park

West side of Mitcham park, from number 1 at the top to number 19 and the bottom

The road may have had gates at each end. The evidence for this are these brick piers, topped by Gothic pier caps, next to Mitcham Police Station, shown in this 1910 postcard. The text ‘Mitcham Park’ can just be made on on the larger pier on the left.

Clip from 1910 postcard of Mitcham Police Station.

At the London Road end, the same style of piers, with the same sign, can be seen on this 1909 silent film by Cricks & Martin.

Further proof that this film shows the London Road end of Mitcham Park can be seen from the 1912-1913 street directory entry for the plumbers premises shown in the film.

From the 1912-1913 street directory

Occupants

1904
West Side
1, Miss COLES
5, John Marsh PITT
7, George BRIDGE
15, Rev. John EDGELL
19, William W. THOMSON
33, Hugh Knight
37, Reginald Pocock BARROW
39, Charles OGDEN
43, Evans FAWCUS
47, Joseph BEARDMORE
53, James W. BOWDING
55, Col. Ernest GRATTAN

East Side

East Lodge, James JOHNSON
2, Felix Andre Jules MOYSE
6, Francis Ringler THOMSON
10, P.A. LEON
12, Mrs HARVIE
14, A.I. SUCKLING-BARON
16, Arthur Ernest ANWYL
22, Miss ANDERSON
26, Arthur Henry BALFOUR
28, Alfred MILLER
32, Wilson ALDWINCKLE

Note that all of these houses, from 15 to 55, and 2 to 32, are of the same design, namely double-pitched roofs with square-U layout to rear.

1953 OS map

This map of 1894 shows the land around Mitcham Hall where Mitcham Park was built, up to Jeppos Lane.

1894 OS map

The land was auctioned in the same year, as listed in the Willesden Chronicle – Saturday 12 May 1894, via the British Newspaper Archive.

In a marquee on the Estate, on MONDAY, June 1, 40 Plots, first portion of the Mitcham Park Estate, adjoining the railway station, and in the centre of the town, fronting on the main road from London to Epsom.

Also, in one lot, the Freehold family Mansion, known as Mitcham Hall, with its beautifully-timbered pleasure grounds and gardens of five acres, and two excellent semi-detached villas.

Vender’s Solicitors. Messrs. Gedge, Kirby, and Millett, 1, Old Palace-yard, S.W.; Architect and Surveyor, W. Mac Thompson, Esq., Holly – cottage, Mitcham

This 1910 map shows the square U-shaped houses that were built.

1910 OS map

The 1933 map shows further development of smaller houses along the south side of the road, and between the gaps on the north / west side.

1933 OS map

News Articles

From the Western Daily Press – Friday 16 August 1935:

The birth of a son at Mitcham Park, Mitcham, to Mrs Winifred Freeman — Miss Polly Ward, the revue actress and dancer is announced.

Mrs Freeman is the only daughter of Miss Winifred Ward, the principal boy, and granddaughter of the late Will Poluski, the Victorian comedian. She was married in 1928 to Mr Robert Sydney Freeman, ” the hero of her schooldays.”

Advert from Norwood News – Friday 20 February 1953

WANTED. Teacher, preparatory school for boys and girls. 6 to 7 1/2

Clarendon Preparatory School, 17 Mitcham Park, Mitcham. Tel. Mitcham. 1444

The widow of the Reverend Lipshytz lived at number 6.

WW2 Civilian Casualties

16th September 1940
Marjorie Alice GEORGE, aged 30; Gertrude Mary WILSON, aged 46, both at 28 Mitcham Park

12th November 1940
Albert Thomas TILL, aged 40, at 31 Mitcham Park


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Homefield House

From The Builder, page 245, 26th Feb 1881:

The two view (exterior and interior) which we give in our present number, illustrate a portion of the alterations and additions recently made to this residence, comprising chiefly the construction of a central hall opening to the staircase, with a stone arcade, the erection of a new wing containing a drawing-room, with guests’ rooms and boudoir over, the re-modelling and re-erection of tbe conservatory in a new position, and various alterations and additions to the kitchen and domestic offices.

Tho hall is panelled the whole height in wood-work, the decoration of the panels resembling “Tarsia” work, the ceiling being also panelled, and having moulded beams with pendants at the intersections.

The general effect of the decoration is a golden brown, the floor is of marble mosaic, and the stonework and steps, and shafts are of red Mansfield stone and Belgian “T” grey marble, the windows being filled with stained glass. Teo chimney-piece, in red Dumfries stone, deeply recessed, moulded, and carved, and having a carved and traceried hood in wainscot, running up to the ceiling cornice, with a central painting (by Weekes), forms a picturesque feature.

The lower portion of the staircase has been reconstructed, and now faces the hall, a screen, with carved and moulded shafts bearing a cusped arcade with carved spandrels, being carried across the entrance vestibule; the newels to stairs are also moulded and carved, having between them pierced and carved panels. The wall-surfaces of the staircase are decorated in tones of blue, the woodwork being black.
Tbe drawing-room is panelled to a height of about 8 ft., finished with a moulded and embattled cornice. The architraves to doorways are enriched with carved beads and moulded shafts, carrying coved heads with moulded ribs, open baluster work, cresting, and pendants.

The ceiling has a geometrical setting-out of plaster ribs with enriched pendants at the intersections, and a frieze in low relief, and the floor has a central filling of French oak, “ herringbone,” with a border of wainscot, walnut, and ebonised pear-wood.

The present scheme of colour is kept light, but low in tone, with some gold, increased richness being intended to be given later on by the painted frieze and the introduction of figure subjects,— possibly illustrative of some poem or legend,— in the panels, in colour on a gold ground.

Externally the work is executed in old brickwork, red Mansfield stone, and brown tiles, the roofs of the turrets and all the finials being of copper ; the barge-boards are moulded and carved, and all the mullions and woodwork to the windows, turrets, &c., are fully moulded.

The general contract work was carried out by Mr. Geo. Amer, builder, of Catford, and the whole of the decorative and art work generally by Messrs. Harland & Fisher, who also executed the stained glass and the marble mosaic pavement; Messrs. Strode, Turpin, and Tagnon respectively providing the gasfittings, parquet, and marble work; the whole being executed from the designs and under the superintendence of Mr. Alfred Jowers, architect, of Gray’s Inn-square, London.

House in Phipps Bridge, home to the Harland family. The varnish factory of William Harland & Sons Ltd. was just to the north, as can be seen on this 1894 map:

1894 OS Map

1894 OS Map

Merton Memories Photos
1920 view of factory buildings
aerial view of factory


Land registered in 1935 by New Ideal Homesteads Ltd., see London Gazette Publication date:10 September 1935 Issue:34197Page:5757

Demolished to make way for Homefield Gardens estate, built by Ideal Homesteads, the same builder of Bramcote Avenue and Denham Crescent.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.