Tag Archives: Western Road

Santoy Works, Western Road

From an ad in 28th December 1917 issue of The Mercury newspaper:

Wanted, first-class tuner for tool making. – Apply Arthur Ryner & Co., Ltd., Santoy Works, Western-road, Merton Abbey, S.W. 19.

This 1921 aerial photo shows the factory of Ryner, Wilson Ltd Engineers:

1921 Ryner Wilson aerial photo

1930 : Reburial of bodies from Zion Chapel

From the Norwood News – Friday 11 April 1930, via the British Newspaper Archive.

80 BODIES BEING RE-BURIED.

The Closing of a Mitcham Cemetery.

SECOND COMMITTAL SERVICE.

A somewhat gruesome business has been started upon this week at the burial ground of Zion Congregational Chapel, Western-road, Mitcham.

Owing to the sale of the property, it became necessary to remove the human remains interred in the old burial ground. There are about 86 bodies buried in the graveyard, dating back to a hundred years ago, when the chapel was founded. A licence from the Secretary of State for the Home Department was required for the removal of the remains, and this having been obtained, the work of removing the human remains, monuments, and tombstones from the burial ground commenced on Monday.

HOW IT IS DONE.

Mr. Donald S. Drewett, undertaker, of Upper Green, Mitcham, was given the task, and with an efficient staff of workmen carried out the task very expeditiously and reverently.

Canvas awning is erected around the graves, and the operations of the diggers is hidden from the public gaze. The strictest privacy is maintained, and only the medical officer’s representative and the Mitcham Council’s chief sanitary inspector, along with the minister (Rev. T. King), are allowed in the grounds during the operations.

Liberty was afforded the relatives of any deceased person, whose remains it was proposed to remove, to undertake themselves the removal of such remains, and a few availed themselves of the privilege; but the removal and re-interment are being carried out by the same workmen.

A SECOND SERVICE.

Large shells, or coffins, six feet long, are being utilised for the removal of the remains, and these are being conveyed in the undertaker’s van and re-interred in the Council’s new burial ground, London-road, where the Rev. T. King has conducted a second committal service, the reburial being a very reverent and solemn affair.

A gravedigger told our representative : ” The work is proceeding without much ado, except that we are screened off from the public gaze. Now and again we have met with a spring of water, and this has somewhat interfered with our operations a little. Most of the coffins fall to dust soon after they are exposed to the air. We collect the bones and put them carefully into new shells or coffins. A plan of the burial ground shows the positions of the graves and the monuments, and the names of the buried persons, as far as they can be ascertained, are kept as a record. The monuments and tombstones are being pulled down, and will be re-erected in the new cemetery. Every care is being taken that the remains are reinterred and the monuments re-erected in a manner that will give no offence to anybody.”

Dorset Road

Road off north east side of Western Road, south of Heyford Road. Built around 1929/30 by H. Poulson. The name was approved by the Mitcham Urban District Council as stated in minutes on page 254, volume XV.

1952 OS map

The houses are numbered odd, from 1 to 27, on the west or left hand side as seen from Western Road, and even from 2 to 32 on the east or right hand side. All properties have the postcode CR4 3ES.

Number 11A was built between numbers 11 and 13, in around 1988. Source:
planning application 88/P0752.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Urban District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Heyford Road

Road off north east side of Western Road, south of Western Road school. Built around 1929/30 by H. Poulson. The name was approved by the Mitcham Urban District Council as stated in minutes on page 254, volume XV.

1952 OS map

The houses are numbered even, from 2 to 48, on the left hand side as seen from Western Road, and odd from 1 to 45 on the right hand side. Postcodes CR4 3EU are for even addresses, and CR4 3EW for odd.

In around 2005/6, garages at the rear of number 45 were demolished, Heyford Road was extended, parallel and to the west of Laings Avenue. A terrace of houses was built, numbered 1 to 9 sequentially, with the address Peppermint Mews, 47 Heyford Road, postcode CR4 3FD.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Urban District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Microplas Ltd.

Western Road

News Articles
Mitcham News & Mercury, 24th February, 1961

LATEST creation in fibre-glass by Microplas Ltd., Western Road, are two 2,000-gallon storage tanks for Vinyl ProductsLtd., Carshalton.

They are nine feet in diameter and five feet across and will hold six tons of liquid. For extra strength the tanks are bound with special continuous filament fibre-glass.

Microplas also make plastic boat shells and are at present negotiating for a big order from Sweden.

Florogen Ltd.

Listed in the 1938 commercial directory as perfume manufacturers, at 132 Western Road, Mitcham. Telephone numbers 2027 and 2028.

A fire at Florogen Works, Western Road, on 30th May 1933 was mentioned in the Fire Brigade minutes on 13th June.

ad from Norwood News – Friday 17 March 1939
Image © Trinity Mirror. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. via the British Newspaper Archives

From the Norwood News – Friday 1st September 1961:

FLOROGEN LTD.,

have vacancies for female staff in their factory for the packaging of perfumes and toilet preparations.

Hours 8 a.m.- 6 p.m. or part-time, 2 p.m – 6 p.m.

Apply 132 Western-rd., Mitcham.

Not listed in the 1963 List of Factories, so it may have gone out of business by then, or moved.

Nine schools in big reshuffle in 1960

From the Mitcham News & Mercury, 20th May, 1960, page 1.

NINE SCHOOLS IN BIG RESHUFFLE

A DEVELOPMENT plan to provide an academic stream in all Surrey secondary schools
will start next year. Nine Mitcham schools will be affected, five of which will be closed.

The scheme was due to be started early next year and completed by 1966, but too little
money was allocated by the Ministry of Education, and the completion date will not be for some years.

Top priority on the list is Gorringe Park Secondary Boys School. As the present building
is needed for the primary pupils, new premises will be built.

The boys from Rowan Road Secondary School, which is closing, will be transferred to the
new school, where it is planned to run one academic, one technical and two general courses.

TO BE ENLARGED

Rowan Road Secondary girls will have the entire school building, at the moment divided between the boys and girls school. They will have one academic, one home economics and two general courses.

Pollards Hill Secondary School will be enlarged. It Will take six instead of four entry classes each year and will have one academic, one commercial and four general courses.

Western Road Boys’ School will close and the girls will take over the entire building. With an academic and a commercial course there will be two general courses.

Singlegate Boys’ School will close, and open in a new building on a new site with one academic, one technical and two general courses.

Fortescue Girls’ and Links’ Girls’ schools will both be closed.

Merton Memories Photos
Fortescue Road School in 1925

Gorringe Park School (6 photos)

Pollards Hill School : Football coaching in 1955

Rowan Road School (10 photos)

Western Road School in 1954