Tag Archives: Tooting Junction

1879 : Beating the Bounds

From the Croydon Advertiser and East Surrey Reporter – Saturday 31 May 1879, via the British Newspaper Archive


On Ascension Day, May 22nd, and the day following, was witnessed in the parish of Mitcham the now almost obsolete practice of “Beating the bounds of the parish,” which had not taken place since 1835, although a dispute as to boundary occurred in 1847 which was settled by the now fashionable means of arbitration. The arrangements having been kept somewhat secretly, prevented the assembling of so large a concourse of people as might have been expected, the weather being on the first day all that could be desired. We understand that there bad not been a general invitation to the parishioners to attend, but it extended only to the clergy and parish officers. But before giving any further details of the day’s proceedings it may interest many of our readers to give a short account of perambulations in general, and that of Mitcham in particular.

It is stated in Shaw’s Guide to parish law, published upwards of century ago, that “The boundaries of parishes being now settled by custom care is and ought to be taken to preserve them by annual perambulations, which should be kept up at the usual time, and the boundaries of the parishes so carefully viewed and settled in them as to leave no room for any doubt or contest about them. In the times of Popery these perambulations were performed in the nature of processions, with banners, handbells, lights, staying at crosses, &c., and therefore, though such processions were forbidden by the injunctions of Queen Elizabeth, yet by the same injunctions, the useful and innocent parts of perambulations were and are still retained.”

The earliest account that we can find of a perambulation of the parish of Mitcham is obtained from the oldest volume of Churchwardens’ accounts, which covers a period from 1653 to 1680, for in the accounts for the year 1662, the following item occurs: —“ Pd for our dinner and the boyes att our perambulatinge 7s. 2d.” Whether the boys underwent the bumping and whipping generally understood to take place upon those occasions, to indelibly impress the doubtful and difficult parts of the boundary in the juvenile mind, is not here stated, but in the year 1663 is this entry, “Expended on those who went perambulatinge in the Rogation weeke for victualls and drinke the sum of £1 0s. 4d.” and again under date 1670, “ Expended at the perambulacon on those that went ye bounds of ye Pish, £3 2s. 2d.” In the year 1673 the the description of the fare provided upon these occasions is more fully expressed thus for meat, drinke, and cheese, for those that went the perambulation.” No further mention is found of the matter until 1678, when “Expended at the perambulacon on Holy Thursday £3 0s. 0d. for horse hyre that day, 1s.” These items distinctly prove that perambulations of the parish were much more frequent in the 17th than 19th century. Passing over a few years we find that these gatherings did not always pass off quietly as could be wished, as is shown by the following extract from the minutes of a vestry held 20th June, 1731 :- “It is the opinion or the parishioners now in vestry assembled that the churchwardens, against whom actions are brought by William Farrer, Esq., Henry Downs, clerk, Thomas Green and Osmond King, For going in their perambulations on Ascension Day last thro’ a place called the new grounds formerly taken out of Mitcham Heath, ought to bee indemnified by the parish from all costs and charges that shall arise concerning the same.” The foregoing is followed by resolution passed at a vestry held on Sunday, 27th of same month, that “It is the oppinion of the parishioners that Mr. Peter’s be employed to make a case concerning the perambulatious, &c.” The bounds were also ordered to be walked in 1771 and 1772. With the following two entries from the churchwardens’ accounts we shall close our notice of the ancient perambulations of the parish:- “3 May, 1733, Paid for the dinner, wine, bread, beer, cheese, &c., when Mr. Hatsell and the churchwardens, with a great number of the other inhabitants of Mitcham, went the whole perambulation of the parish of Mitcham, £6 19s. 5d.” The Mr. Hatsell here mentioned was the Rev. William Hatsell, eldest son of Sir Henry Hatsell, Baron of the Exchequer. He was instituted vicar of Mitcham 13th July, 1724, and resigned 13th January, 1733-4. “23 May, 1724, To the Wid Boddison was due to her late husband for drink at the perambulation 3 May, 1733, and left unpaid, 10s. 6d. Paid for the dinner, wine, bread, beer, cheese, &c., when the churchwardens, and great number of the parishioners of Mitcham went again the perambulation on the south side of the parish, taking in all Mitcham Common as usual, together with the 80 acres called new grounds, antiently taken out of Mitcham Heath, £6 10s. 0d.”

The place of rendezvous selected on Thursday was the Goat Inn, situated about half-a-mile from Mitcham Junction, and punctually at eight a.m. the perambulation was commenced. Amongst the company present were the following:- Rev. D. F. Wilson, M. A., vicar, Rev. H. G. Dod, curate, Mr. Churchwarden Nobes, who bore his wand of office, the three overseers, viz., Messrs. W. R. Harwood (who carried a staff inscribed Mitcham Parish,” apparently a relict of long defunct bumbledom), S. Love, and J. Lewis. A few other parishioners and friends joined later on.

The arrangements for the day were principally under the direction of Messrs. E. and R. M. Chart, the latter of whom carried a ribbon map of the boundaries, upwards of 25 feet in length. The proverbial “boys,” six in number, especially told off for the duty, beat the various boundary posts and streams of water, &c., with willow wands. The “State” was represented by two policemen, who apparently enjoyed this somewhat novel form of duty.

Starting from the Goat Inn the party followed the river, leaving McRae’s tannery on the left, a man provided with waterman’s boots defining the boundary down the stream, but it was found advisable to take a punt where the water was particularly deep and muddy. Searl’s and Ashby’s mills were passed in due course, and the various boundary posts having been beaten by the boys after the Vicar had pronounced, whilst the perambulators stood bare-headed, “ Cursed be that removeth his neighbour’s land mark.” Entering the grounds of the late Mr. G. P. Bidder, the stream was followed to Rutter’s snuff mills, then through the grounds of Morden-hall, and past Phipp’s-bridge to Merton Abbey Station. Merton bridge was reached at 12.15 p.m., where a stick was floated under, the waterman being in mid stream ready to receive it as it came out on the other side.

The company then adjourned to the Six Bells for lunch, which was admirably served by Host Giles. The chair was taken by Rev. H. G. Dodd, the Rev. D. F. Wilson having left the party, but rejoined it later on in company with Rev. F. S. Legg, vicar of Christ Church, Singlegate, Mr. Churchwarden Nobes taking the vice chair. After all had done justice to the collation.

The Chairman rose and in a short but pointed speech proposed, “The Queen,” which the company heartily responded to by singing the National Anthem. The Vice-Chairman, in rising, said he had much pleasure in being present on that occasion. It was the first time he had walked the bounds of Mitcham, although he had done so in another parish. He spoke of perambulations being an ancient custom and alluded to Lord Nelson having resided at Merton, upon the verge of which parish the company were then assembled. After complimenting the overseers and Mr. Chart upon their excellent arrangements, he concluded by calling for three cheers for those gentlemen.

Mr. W. R. Harwood, in an appropriate speech, returned thanks for the overseers, and Mr. Chart, whom said they were all indebted.

The perambulations were again commenced, through the garden of the Six Bells, over part of what was once the Wandsworth and Croydon tramway, the boundary here being somewhat intricate, to the back of Child’s flour mill, and Byegrove-mead, where the new sewage works are in course of and up to the wall of Garrett Cemetery. The railway crossed in several places, the axe being used on the various boundary posts to show that none had been passed over. Some little time was spent in defining a small detached part of the parish, which being at last satisfactorily settled, the party made towards Tooting Junction, some of them going through a house that had been built over the parish boundary. Tooting Junction was reached at 4.30 p.m. and after crossing the garden of the house supposed to have been the residence of Daniel de Foe, the company separated, having had a somewhat tiring but agreeable day.

The weather on Friday morning looked very threatening, and heavy showers were experienced during the day, but nevertheless at a few minutes after 8 a.m. the Rev. H. G. Dodd, the overseers, and others arrived Tooting Junction, and immediately the perambulation was recommenced under the guidance, as before, of Messrs. E. and R. M. Chart. Following the course of the Graveney, a tributary of the Wandle, to Streatham-lane, where noted the bridge over the stream, called Roe Bridge,” which connects the parishes of Mitcham and Streatham, has a stone let the north side, bearing the Merchant Taylor’s arms, and inscribed, “This bridge was built at the cost of the Worshipful Company of Merchant Taylors, 1652.” Still following the river to the railway, which was crossed near Streatham Rifle Butts, the party proceeded to Lonesome, passing over the race course and leaving the stand the left. Here several posts put up by Croydon parish were duly marked with a cross. Passing through the wood to the extreme north east corner of Mitcham Common, which was reached at ll a.m., and at that point, the rain having cleared up for a short time, an enjoyable al fresco lunch supplied by Mr. Marchant, of the Horse and Groom, was partaken of. The common was then skirted to Beddington station, and after going down Beddington-lane for a short distance the fields were entered on the right, and a walk straight across country passing over the railway en route brought the company out of the plantation near Beddington Corner. Mr. Chart informed us that the enclosure of this piece of ground, about 80 acres in extent, was the cause of considerable litigation which was finally settled about 1816 by the Court of King’s Bench. The vicar here joined the party, and skirting the plantation, reached the post opposite the Goat Inn at 1 p.m., and against it “the boys” received the orthodox bumping, although of a mild description, which brought the perambulation to close.

We cannot conclude without commenting upon the orderly manner in which the proceedings were conducted throughout, and which reflected great credit upon all concerned.

The overseers expressed their determination place iron boundary posts at various points decided upon during the perambulation.

Robinson Road

Road named possibly after Robinson Crusoe story. Crusoe Farm Dairy was named by its owner on the possible residence of nearby Tooting Hall by Daniel Defoe, author of Robinson Crusoe.

The 1862 map by Stanfords shows a road called Robinson’s Lane running from Merton Road west to Pig’s Marsh. In 1868 the railway line between Tooting station and Wimbledon (the next station was Merton Abbey) had been built, cutting through this lane. It is possible then that the road west of the railway line became known as Robinson Road, the east of it retained Robinson Lane, as far as Swain’s Farm, from there to the London Road being called Swain’s Lane.
Later, Robinson Lane became part of Swains Lane, which itself was renamed Swains Road.

1895 OS map

1895 OS map

1911 OS map

1911 OS map

Occupants from the 1891 street directory:

Robinson road, Colliers wood (Tooting Graveney),
from Merton road to Lyveden road


Rev. W. Hope Davison (Tudhoe lodge)
— here is Park road
William A. Richards (Clock house)

Denmark villas:
1, Robert Dyson
2, William Charles Parkes

Ravensbury villas:
1, S.J. Blazdell
2, Clarence Piper
3, Walter Buckley
— here is Norfolk road
Edward William Thaire (Eagle house)
George Drake (Eagle villa)
Nathaniel Moore (Belmont villa)
T.T. Ginns (Devon villa)
Frederick Thursby (Chilton)
Mrs. Radford (Clifton house)
Mrs. Jackson (2 Brunswick villas)
S.J. Cary (Rockbeare)
W.E. Pledge (Elmstead)
Mrs. Nelson (Annesley cottage)


Cecil Russel (Thistledown)
Francis Baker, florist

Cambridge villas:
1, Frederick Scotlied
2, George Palliversa

Lorne villas:
1, Henry Cleaver
2, Miss Bridge
3, Henry Mayes
4, John Charles Parrott
5, Joseph Tayler
6, Mrs Moseley
7, George Billings
8, Edward Watkins

Carisbrooke villas:
2, Arthur James Cove
1, James William Freeman

Capt. E.J. Parker (Rothsay)

Wood villas:
1, John Walter West
2, George Spiller Cooling
4, Mrs Burtenshaw

Miss Greener (Haslemere)

Victoria villas:
8, James Danks
7, H.A. Moncrieff
6, George Duggua
5, Arthur Spiller
4, Mrs Thompson
3, J. Sparkes, boot maker
2, Mrs Brown
1, W. Rayner

Horace Cath (Clan-y-mor)
Mrs Beane (Holbrooke)

Gothic villas:
8, Mrs Snudden
7, Henry Berger
6, Arthur P. Berger
5, Leon Friax
4, James Willis
3, T.G. Fisher
1, Mrs Hunt
— here is Lyveden road

World War 1 Connections
Private Harry Thomas Charles Bullock

Private Sidney Henry Cath

Private Ernest Henry Hollamby

From the Surrey Recruitment Registers:

F W BALZELL of 8a East Gdns Robinson Road, aged 39 Years 11 Months, Piano Tuner. Conscripted on 11 December 1915 to the Essex Regiment (17th Batn).

C T BENTLEY of 105 Robinson Rd, aged 33 Years 1 Months, Clerk. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 11 December 1915 to the Suffolk Regiment (1st Batn).

T W DAVIS of 21 Robinson Rd, aged 35 Years, Accountant. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 11 December 1915 to the East Surrey Regiment (4th Batn).

R A S DISBOROUGH of 9a East Gardens Robinson Rd Tooting, aged 20 Years 2 Months, Clerk. Conscripted on 10 December 1916 to the Royal Sussex Regiment (3rd Batn).

W FRANKLIN of 64 Robinson Rd Tooting, aged 39 Years 4 Months, Milkman. Conscripted on 12 December 1915 to the Army Service Corps (mt).

H C HIBBARD of 48 Robinson Road Mitcham, aged 37 Years 4 Months, Milkman. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 9 December 1915 to the Royal Garrison Artillery.

S J KENWRIGHT of 76 Robinson Rd Colliers Wood, aged 34 Years 11 Months, Decorator. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 12 December 1915 to the Royal West Kent Regiment (12th Batn).

A F LOOKER of 112 Robinson Road, aged 38 Years 11 Months, Clerk. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 10 December 1915 to the Norfolk Regiment (6th Batn).

C J H RICKARD of 73 Robinson Road, aged 20 Years 9 Months, Sugar Boiler. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 20 November 1916 to the East Surrey Regiment (10th Batn).

From the Military Service Tribunals:

5th July, 1918

Another adjourned case, Mr. F. P. Lock, was heard. He was in grade 1 and the Tribunal had referred him to re-medical examination. He appealed on medical grounds. He now stated his appeal for re-examination was refused.

Ald. Chart: So you are still in grade 1? -Yes.
Applicant said his age was 36, and be resided at West-gardens, Robinson-road, Merton. He was a carpenter and ship’s joiner by trade. He was totally rejected first of all, he said.
Chairman: In the circumstances, he is a grade 1 man. We have no alternative.
Applicant: It seems to me, sir, when I went to the County Hall that those who can afford to get a certificate from a Harley-street specialist or get a solicitor can get a hearing.
Chairman: That does not really affect us.

The appeal was disallowed.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.