Tag Archives: Sandy Lane

Guyatt Gardens

Road with houses built by Wates Ltd on the site of the Mitcham Stadium, which they bought in 1955.

The road is reached from Eastfields Road by Roper Way, and Sandy Lane by Ormerod Gardens and Priestley Road at each end. Along with Fowler Road, these five roads were collectively called the Laburnum Park Estate.

c.1956 view of houses being built on stadium site; clip from Merton Memories photo reference Mit_Buildings_61-2

OpenStreetMap extract October 2018

Houses are on the northerly side only, arranged as three terraces (two of five houses each and one of four), and are numbered sequentially from 1 from the north west end to 14 in the south east end. All have the postcode CR4 2LN.

Possibly named after Guyatt’s Pit, a gravel excavation nearby.

Mitcham Stadium

Sports stadium, which occupied around 8 acres, north of Eastfields Road and opposite the football ground in Sandy Lane, was built in 1935 and was sold to property developer Wates Ltd in 1955.

1952 OS map

1953 aerial photo showing football and rugby posts on the field. Fernlea Road is on the left, with Sandy lane at the top.

Mitcham Borough council minutes of 6th December 1934, volume 1, page 89, record a letter received from Mr S.E. Parkes:

26. LAND, EASTFIELDS.

Read letter from Mr. S. E. Parkes stating that he had had under consideration a scheme for the
utilisation of the disused gravel pit in Eastfields Road for the purpose of a Rugby football ground, and asking whether any objection would be raised by the Council in connection with
the user of this land for the purpose under the provisions of the Town Planning Scheme.

Resolved, That Mr. Parkes be informed that no objection will be offered by the Council.

A detailed history of the stadium can be found at the Gandermonium blog.

Mitcham News & Mercury, 18th May, 1935

Norwood News, 6th September 1935, showing construction of one of the two stands. 300 tons of steel was used in each stand, and by comparison, the Majestic cinema had 350 tons.

Norwood News, 6th September 1935 advertising the opening of the stadium the next day.

In addition to rugby, Irish games such as hurling were played at the stadium.

In 1954, the stadium was called ‘A White Elephant’ in this article in the 1st July issue of the Mitcham & Tooting Advertiser:

The site was sold to Wates Ltd who built housing with Guyatt Gardens, Ormerod Gardens, Fowler Road, Priestley Road with Roper Way connecting to Eastfields Road.

Mitcham and Tooting Advertiser, 26th May 1955, page 1.

House for sale ad in 1965 referred to the former Mitcham Stadium.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

The Driftway

Road off east side of Streatham Road, north of Sandy Lane, built in 1933/34. From the minutes of the Mitcham Urban District Council, volume 17, page 574:

Road leading to Mitcham Wanderers Football Ground. Read letter from My. E. J. Peacock stating that he thought the question of the name of this road should be left to the Highways Committee of the Council. Resolved, That this road be named “The Driftway”.

1952 OS map

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Colwin and Leighton Cottages

12 houses at southern end of Fernlea Road.

Described in 1925 street directory:

from Sandy Lane
no.s 1 to 95 odd
…here is Graham Road
…here is Graham Avenue
Colwin Cottages: no.s 1,2,3,4
Leighton Cottages: no.s 8 to 1 inclusive

From the 1911 commercial directory:

William Ernest Brown, shopkeeper, 4 Colwin cottages, Fernlea rd