Tag Archives: River Graveney

Boscombe Road

Road between, and parallel to, Ascot and Cromer Road.

In this 1938 OS map, the north border of Mitcham can be seen along the River Graveney.

1938 OS map, courtesy of National Library of Scotland (re-use CC-BY)

From the 1910-1911 street directory:
Boscombe road, from Links road


1, Frank Andrews HOLLAND
2, Alfred NICHOLS
3, Frederick EDGSON
4, Charles John BUTLER
5, William MARSHALL
7, Charles James HANCOCK
8, Horace SPOONER
9, Thomas BLISS
10, Frederick KEMP
11, Sydney RICHTER
12, William AUSTIN
13, Robert JAQUES
14, Stanley NORTHCOTT
16, William KNOWLES
17, Ernest James WIGGINS
18, Charles Frederick WOOFENDEN
19, George Edward MARSHALL
20, Charles Cecil GRAMMER
22, Walter John SIMMONDS, insurance superintendent
23, Richard F. LAWSON
25, Mrs TURNER
27, John Thomas WILSON
28, Samuel HONEYBALL
29, Charles George TERRY


Westerham Villas:

1, Edgar Percy NICHOLSON
2, William GUNNETT
3, Charles KEYSELL
4, William AUSTIN
5, Frank TURNER
6, Harry BUNNING
7, Gilbert D. MOON
8, Harry JONES
10, Thomas GRIMSHAW
11, Stephen V. LOVEGROVE
12, Charles Ernest FOWLER

26, Albert W.J. FURSE
28 (Rosaville), William HENLEY
30, George RAMPTON
40, Otto KRISE
42, Douglas W. CLARK
44, William MUSK
46, Walter Frederick GARDENER
48, Alfred Henry BAILEY
50, W.H. Edwards
56, Thomas Henry YOUNG

The Links Estate

Housing built on a former golf course, and named after it, south of the river Graveney and north of the railway line the connects Tooting and Streatham stations. The area was in the urban district of Mitcham and, despite the SW17 postcodes, is part of the London Borough of Merton today.

The area was part of the Furzedown Estate, owned by Sir Charles Seely, whose name was given to one of the roads. The golf course had been rented by the Tooting Bec Golf Club, who declined Sir Seely’s offer to sell it to them. Source: Golf’s Missing Links.

1894 OS map

From the Birmingham Mail – Thursday 15 February 1906


Furzedown Park, one of the few remaining country estates within the county of London, has been sold by Sir Charles Seely to a gentleman who intends to cut it up for building purposes. It lies between Streatham and Tooting, and its mansion commands an extensive view of the Surrey hills. Among notable visitors to the mansion was Charles Peace, who went uninvited, and carried away many interesting souvenirs in the form of plate and other valuables. Instead of entering by the front door, Charlie climbed a tree, and took advantage of a branch that almost touched window. The tree is regarded as one of the curious things of the neighbourhood, for Charles Peace was great man —in his way.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.