Tag Archives: Mitcham Road

Girdlers Radio Ltd

Radio and television shop started by Edward Girdler.

In the 1930 commercial directory, and the 1933 ad shown below, his shop was at 245 London Road, Mitcham, which was part of The Parade, the Edwardian shops between the Fair Green and the telephone exchange.

In the 1952 Chambers of Commerce, the address for Girdlers Radio Ltd is 293 Mitcham Road, Tooting. See the ad on the front cover of the North Mitcham Improvement Association below.

1950 OS map

1950 OS map

1933 ad

1933 ad

Text of ad:

WIRELESS ACCESSORIES Phone Str. 605. VACUUM CLEANERS ON HIRE

EDWARD GIRDLER

REGISTERED ELECTRICAL ENGINEER & CONTRACTOR
231b STREATHAM ROAD, MITCHAM
AND AT 245 LONDON ROAD, MITCHAM

OUR OWN HIRE PURCHASE TERMS ON 18 MONTHS, ANY SET OVER 12 GNS.

PHILIPS 4 VALVE, 2 S.G., ELECTRIC 16 Gns. CASH or 18 monthly payments of 19/7.

This is the electrical age, and an electrical gift is the most useful and acceptable gift. We have in stock countless Shades, Standards. Fittings. Irons, Fires, Radio Sets, etc. at the LOWEST POSSIBLE PRICES.

We shall be pleased to make suggestions and help you in every possible way.

August 1950 front cover of The Sentinel magazine of the North Mitcham Improvement Association

August 1950 front cover of The Sentinel magazine of the North Mitcham Improvement Association


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Robinson Lane

Described in the 1891 street directory as in Tooting Graveney and being from Robinson Road to Mitcham Road.

The London Road south of Tooting railway station was called Mitcham Road possibly as far south as Tamworth Farm. Although not shown as Robinson Lane on this 1894 OS map, the road to the east of the railway line that leads to Swain’s Lane may be it.

1894 OS map

1894 OS map

There are 10 houses, arranged as two terraces of five houses each, on the south side with one house on the north side, as described in the 1891 street directory:

NORTH SIDE

Henry Taylor, cowkeeper

SOUTH SIDE

10, Daniel Quinton
9, Mrs Brockwell
8, John Richard Smith
7, Thomas Henry Parsons
6, Mrs Bentley
5, Alfred Nunn, grocer
4, Richard Pocock
2, Thomas Burge
H. Nicholls, market gardener

The 1896 Kelly’s London Suburban Directory lists Harry Nicholls as a market gardener in Robinson Lane.

Occupants in 1901 Kelly’s London Suburban Directory (Vol. II: Southern. Part 1: Street & Commercial Directories), listed as Robinson Lane, Mitcham Road:

Harry Nickolls, market gardener
5, Alfred Nunn, shopkeeper

The 1915 street directory no longer has a Robinson Lane, and the occupants of Swain’s Lane, from London Road, were:

SOUTH SIDE

Frederick Nicholls, market gardener (Swain’s Farm)
Reginald Rainger, poultry farmer (Rose Cottage)
5 George Green, laundry

It is possible then that, between 1901 and 1915:

a) the Mitcham Road south of Tooting railway station to Tamworth Farm was renamed London Road; and
b) Robinson Lane was renamed part of Swain’s Lane and the house numbers were changed to suit.

Swains Lane was later renamed Swains Road.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.