Category Archives: Roads

1896 Street Directory

Agriculture
Benevolent Institution
Board Schools
Churches
Clubs, Societies etc.
Description of Mitcham
Land area and population statistics
Landowners
Manors
Missions
Parochial Officers and Public Institutions
Places of Worship
Railway Stations
Schools


Description of Mitcham

… (in Domesday Book called “ Michelham ”) is a parish and extensive village on the river Wandle and the Reigate road, with a station called Mitcham junction on the London, Brighton and South Coast railway; the Wimbledon and West Croydon line forms a junction here with the above line, and has a station at Lower Mitcham;

Distances to London and Croydon

it is 9 miles south-west from Westminster bridge and 3 north-west from Croydon ;

Divisions and Districts

the parish is in the North Eastern division of the county, Wallington hundred, Croydon union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Beddington, archdeaconry of Kingston and diocese of Rochester, and is under the jurisdiction of the Metropolitan police. The village is lighted with gas by a company, and supplied with water from works at Ditton, the property of the Lambeth Water Co.

Churches

The church of SS. Peter and Paul, rebuilt in 1821, is a building of flint, covered with cement, in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled tower on the north-east, with pinnacles and containing 8 bells: there are 1,100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a vicarage, average yearly value from tithe rent-charge £356, net income £500, with residence, in the gift of William Simpson esq. and held since 1859 by the Rev. Daniel Frederic Wilson M.A. of Wadham College, Oxford, and surrogate.

Christ Church is an ecclesiastical parish, formed August 10, 1875, out of the parish of Mitcham: the church, in Church road, is a building of white brick with stone facings, in the Gothic style, and consists of chancel, nave of three bays, north aisle, south porch and a western tower with shingled spire, containing 6 bells. The register dates from the year 1876. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £400, with residence, in the gift of the widow of William John Harris esq. and held since 1876 by the Rev. Francis Stewart Legg M.A. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge.

The Catholic chapel, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, and erected in 1889, has 320 sittings. Here is also a Congregational chapel with 350 sittings, and a Free Methodist chapel,erected in 1882 and seating 250 persons, also a Baptist chapel, seating 200 persons.

A Cemetery of 23 acres was formed in 1883 at a cost of £2,800 ; it has one mortuary chapel, and is under the control of the Parish Council, acting as a Burial Board.

Miss Tate’s Almshouses, on Lower Mitcham green, built and endowed in 1829, are for twelve females above 55 years of age ; the endowment is in £5,800 Consols; other charities, producing £130 yearly, are for distribution.

The fair is held yearly, on the 12th, 13th and 14th of August.

Sir Walter Raleigh lived at Mitcham; Dr. John Donne, dean of St. Paul’s in 1620, was also a resident. Gorringe Park is the residence of the widow of William John Harris esq.

Manors

The manors are four in number, viz : — Biggin and Tamworth, Ravensbury, Mitcham and Fauxhail. The first two are held by the Conservators of Mitcham Common, Mitcham manor by W. F. J. Simpson, and Fauxhail by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners ; these last two have assigned their rights over Mitcham Common to the Conservators.

Landowners

The principal landowners are Mrs. Harris, G. P. Bidder, John Watney and W. F. J. Simpson, esqrs. and the trustees of the late Rev. H. W. Sibthorp.

Agriculture

The soil, a rich black mould with gravel subsoil, is laid out partly in market gardens and partly for medicinal plants, such as roses, rhubarb, liquorice, lavender, mint, camomile, poppies, peppermint, wormwood and aniseed; some of these are used for the manufacture of cordials and perfumes, particularly peppermint water, oil of lavender and rose water.

There are numerous mills on the river Wandle.

Land area and population statistics

The area is 2,893 acres of land and 22 of water; rateable value, £55,392, and the population in 1871 was 6,498, in 1881 : 8,960, and in 1891 : 12,127, including 914 in the Holborn Union Workhouse and 518 in the Holborn Union Workhouse Industrial School (SS. Peter and Paul district in 1891 was 9,325; Christ Church district in 1891 was 2,802).

Parochial Officers and Public Institutions

MITCHAM PARISH COUNCIL.

Chairman Thomas Allen, Grove road
William Catt, London road, Lower Mitcham
John R. Chart, Upper Mitcham
Charles Dungate, Colliers wood, Mitcham
Stephen Gregory, Merton lane
Charles M. Hallward, Lower green
Harbour William, 6 Park villas, Park road
F. Jones, Brenley, Tamworth park
John M. Leather, Eastfields
Alfred Mizen, Eastfields
Ernest E. Mizen, Eastfields
Rev. Robert Richman, Douglas house, High st
John Stickings, Railway cottages, Lower Mitcham
The Rev. Daniel Frederic Wilson M.A. The Vicarage, Mitcham
Churchwardens, H. Rutter & T. P. Harvey
Overseers, William Catt, E. E. Mizen, Thomas Francis, William Harbour & S. Gregory
Vestry Clerk & Clerk to the Parish Council, Robert M.Chart F.S.I. Vestry hall, Mitcham

CROYDON RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL,
Vestry hall, Lower green, Mitcham.

ELECTED MEMBERS FOR MITCHAM.

Mizen Edward Johnson, jun. Oakleigh, Eastfields, Mitcham
Pitt Mrs. Priscilla, Berkeley house, Mitcham
Simpson W F. J. Park place, Mitcham
Tomlin Francis, Upper green, Mitcham
Clerk to Rural District Council, James Wilson, 49 London road, Croydon
Consulting Surveyor to the Council, R. M. Chart F.S.I
Surveyor, Charles Law Green C.E
Surveyor’s Assistant, James Heath
Collector of Poor Rates, Samuel Love, 13 Glebe villas, Mitcham
Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator, No. 6 District, Croydon Union, Edward Marshall
Medical Officer of Health, Croydon Union & Rural District Council, L. W. Darra Mair M.D., D.P.H. 49 London road, Croydon & Fieleside, Beddington lane, Beddington
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages & Relieving & Vaccination Officer, Frederick Garniss Ebbutt, Lower green
Metropolitan Police Station (W Division), Causeway, Lower Mitcham, Station-Sergeant George Pomeroy, in charge & 4 section sergeants & 19 constables
Merton Fire Brigade, High street, Colliers wood, Merton; Charles E. S. Bill, capt. ; Frederick James Chadwick, supt
Mitcham Fire Brigade Station, Lower green, George Haselden, superintendent
Collector of Taxes,Daniel Sewell, Upper green
Sanitary Inspector for the Rural District Council of Croydon, Levi White, 10 King’s road, Upper Mitcham Holborn Union Workhouse, for 1,052 in¬mates, Western road; T. W. Norman, master ; Mrs. G. Norman, matron ; Rev. Sydney Jackson, chaplain ; Oscar Berridge Shelsweli L.R.C.P.Lond.,M.R.C.S.Eng. medical officer
Croydon Rural District Council Sewage Works Pumping Station, Byegrove road, Henry James Snook, manager
Turncock, H.J.Schneider, 2 Finboro’ rd.Tooting

Places of Worship

with times of Services.

SS. Peter & Paul’s Church, Church rd. Rev. Daniel Frederic Wilson M.A. vicar; 8.30 & 11 a.m. & 3.30 & 7p.m.; thurs. 7.30p.m.; saints’ days, 4 p.m

Christ Church, Church road, Merton, Rev. Fras. Stewart Legg M.A. vicar ; 11 a.m. & 7 p.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m.; saints’ days, 4p.m

School Church (St. Mark’s Mission District), Rev. W.M.C. McAllister B.A. Radstock house, Cedars avenue, mission clergyman; 8 & 11 a.m. & 7 p.m

SS. Peter & Paul, Catholic, Causeway, Lower Mitcham, Rev. John Warner ; 7.30 & 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; daily, 8 a.m

Baptist Chapel, Clarendon grove, Upper Mitcham, Rev. J. Thorold Figg, 3 Sandown villas, Grove road, pastor ; services, sun. 11 а.m. & 6.30 p.m

Baptist Church, Longley road, Tooting Graveney, G. H. Rumsey, 1 Havelock villas, Park road, Merton, pastor; services, sun. 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; monday, prayer meeting, 7.30 p.m. ; thurs. service, 7.30 p.m. & Saturday 7.30 p.m

Congregational, Zion, Upper green, Rev. Robert Richman, Douglas house, High street, pastor; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m

United Methodist Free Church, High street, Colliers wood, Merton, Rev. W. H. Proudlove, minister; services, sun. 11 a.m. & б.30 p.m. ; wed. 7.45 p.m

United Methodist Free Church, Lower green, Rev. Henry Codling, minister; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; thurs. 7 p.m

Gospel Hall, Longley road, Tooting Graveney

Woodite Chapel, Mitcham Common

Missions

Baptist Mission Room, Crown rd. Morden rd

Mission Room, Bath road

Christ Church Mission Room, Church road, Merton

Parish Church Mission Room, Rock terrace, Mitcham

Parish Church Mission Room, Half-Acre

Salvation Army Barracks, Gladstone road

Board Schools

A School Board of 7 members was formed in 1871, increased to 9 in 1886; W. J. Dickisson, Causeway, Lower Mitcham, clerk to the school board ; Thomas Tomkins, 4 King’s road, Grove road, attendance officer

Lower green, Mitcham, formerly National school & transferred to school board in 1871, for 260 boys, 100 girls & 160 infants; average attendance, 230 boys, 90 girls & 90 infants ; Thomas A. Compton, master ; Miss E. Rutherford, mistress ; Miss Caroline Brooks, infants’ mistress

Lower Green Boys’ School (temporary); George R. Waters, master

Killick’s lane, Upper Mitcham, built in 1884, for 400 girls & infants ; average attendance, 148 girls & 158 infants ; Miss Annie Fawcett, mistress; Miss Alice Sears, infants’ mistress

Singlegate, Church road, Merton, erected in 1874, boys, girls & infants; average attendance, 200 boys, 133 girls & 209 infants & enlarged in 1884; William Harbour master ; Miss A. Campbell, mistress ; Miss Mary Edwards, infants’ mistress

Schools

British, Upper green (girls & infants), erected in 1842, for 250 children ; average attend-ance, 240 ; Miss E. Kenyon, mistress

Christ Church Sunday Schools, Church road, Merton

Lower Mitcham, Catholic (mixed), erected about 1867, for 120 children; average at-tendance, 90; Miss Sarah M. Dawson, mist

Holborn Union Industrial, High street, Upper Mitcham, William George Benton, superintendent; Mrs. Annie Benton, matron ; Thomas R. Knight, schoolmaster; Miss Elizabeth Boto, schoolmistress

Benevolent Institution

Almshouses, Causeway, Lower Mitcham

Clubs, Societies etc.

Convalescent Home, 92 Longley road, Tooting Graveney; Miss Caroline Goldsmid, proprietress ; Miss Julia Salinger, matron

Liberty Hall, The Broadway, Mitcham

Mitcham Conservative & Unionist Club, Upper green, H. W. White, sec

Mitcham District Mutual Building Society, Vestry hall, Mitcham ; G. T. Hodges, sec

Prince’s Golf Club, Mitcham common; Robt. H. Cox, managing director

Village Club & Working Men’s Institute, High street, Colliers wood, Merton

Railway Stations

L. B. & S. C. Railway.

Mitcham Junction, Horace William B. East- land, station master

Lower Mitcham, Walter Thomas Martin, station master

Tonstall Road

Road that runs from the east side of Lansdell Road to Laburnum Road.

1953 OS map

News Articles

Mitcham News & Mercury, 22nd November, 1957

LANDOWNER FIGHTS COUNCIL

Compulsory purchase order is ‘unjust and unfair’

He stands to lose 900 pounds

A 75 year old man battled with Mitcham Council on Wednesday In an attempt to prevent them compulsorily purchasing his land.

Under the Housing Act of 1957 the council have made a compulsory purchase order for a small plot of ground – now used as allotments at the junction of Tonstall Road and Lansdell Road, Mitcham.

But Mr Leonard H. Munday, a retired council officer, appealed against their decision at a public enquiry on Wednesday.

Mr Munday said he thought the council were unjust and unfair. “As a result of their actions I may be deprived of some of my savings that I shall need in my old age” he added.

Mr Arthur Gadd, counsel for Mr Munday said he would be losing £900 by the deal. Mr William Roots, who represented the council said the land will be used as a building site for 8 houses for old people.

“There is a substantial waiting list for this type of accommodation. The availability of land for this purpose Is extremely limited, and this particular site is near all the amenities that old people need,” he said.

“The council regard the provision of houses for old people as a vital service,” he said.

Mr Riley Schofield, the Borough Engineer, told the Ministry of Housing inspector (Mr F. Greaves) that there were more than 340 people waiting for this type of housing. About 173 on the council list and the remainder in houses that were too large for them – “they’re waiting to be moved,” he said.

“Without weighing the scales at all, isn’t it true to say that there is as much need for houses for ordinary people?” asked Mr Gadd.

He decided to sell

Mr Gadd explained that his client bought the land in 1934 hoping to build a house on it for himself. Later he intended building two further houses and letting them.

But the war ended his plans as building costs increased. So he allowed local residents to use the land as allotments without charge.

Mr Munday then decided to sell the land and this year we were met with a building contracting firm in Tolworth.

Mr Philip Ferrer, a director and surveyor for the firm, said they proposed to build 2 semi-detached houses and four terraced houses on the site.

“When my application to build was made I did not know about the council’s proposed compulsory order. I did not know they were even interested in the land,” he commented.

“The real claim is for some compensation,” said Mr. Roots. we can express our sympathy to Mr Munday but we cannot give anything more concrete.”

Mr Munday will lose money if the council allowed to go ahead with their plans because fixed payments will be decided by the District valuer. The compulsory purchase order was made on July 18, but Mr Munday will have to wait several months before he is notified of the Minister of Housing’s final decision.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Carshalton Road

Road that is the start of the A237 and runs south from the junction with Commonside West, Cedars Avenue and Croydon Road, heading towards Carshalton.

On the west side there is a junction with Cranmer Road and Willow Lane, and on the right just after this is the entrance road to Mitcham Junction railway station and the Mitcham Golf Club. The road goes over the railway and tram lines on a bridge that was rebuilt and widened in the mid 1950s. On the west side of the road and part of the southern slope of the bridge is an access road leading to Aspen Gardens. Further south from here, and set back from the western side of the road is a line of houses that were originally called Rumbold Villas and Tramway Terrace. They are separated by two roads Drake Road and Arney’s Lane. At Beddington Corner is the Goat pub on the corner with Goat Road.

After Beddington Corner, the road is now called London Road and the A237 continues to the A23 at Coulsdon.

Carshalton Road at junction with Croydon Road. The house was one of the Blue Houses. From a Percy Mayhew postcard, from Merton Memories, photo reference Mit_19_1-19

The guide post (marked G.P.) that is on the south side of the tram line in this 1910 OS map is the one seen in the photo.

1910 OS map

The junction with Croydon Road was changed to a roundabout in 1955.

From the Mitcham News & Mercury, 24th February 1955

ROUNDABOUT

Work is to start soon on making a traffic roundabout at the busy junction of Croydon Road with Carshalton Road, on Mitcham Common.

The Transport Minister has approved a grant of up to £4,427 towards the cost of the roundabout. Coun. D.J. Hempstead, Highways Committee chairman, said last week that it was hoped that work would be speedily undertaken.

The bridge over the railway line was widened at the same time, the work having been started in 1939 but was interrupted by the war.

On the east side of Carshalton Road, south of the railway station, was a WW2 anti-aircraft gun site. It was cleared in the early 1960s.

1955 OS map showing the Gun Site.

From the Mitcham News & Mercury, 13th July 1962:

At last – Gunsite is to go

One of Mitcham’s biggest eyesores, the Gun Site, Carshalton Road, Mitcham Common, is at last to be cleared at a cost of about £13,000.

Work on clearing the site is expected to start in about two months time.

The Ministry have approved a tender of £10,800 submitted to them from the Conservators and have further agreed to bear the cost of replacing trees on the site.

WELCOMED

A further cost of £2,000 fees will be included in the work.

This news is welcomed not only by the Conservators but by Mitcham Council and the public.

The Gun Site is one of the few remaining war relics in Mitcham and local people have been pressing for years to clear it.

The conservators hope to replace it with a grass landscape with trees.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

St Peter & St Paul Roman Catholic Primary School

School whose address is Cricket Green, Mitcham, CR4 4LA. Its entrance from that road is between the Mary Tate Almshouses and number 40.

1954 OS map

The road had previously been called Lower Green East until 1944, when it was renamed Cricket Green.

According to 1 The Cricket Green, page 113 :

The Roman Catholic primary school St Peter and St Paul was rebuilt in 1974, replacing the original chapel school building erected in 1861 on land given by William Simpson Jr.

This OS map from 1910 shows the outline of the school building, its entrance being between the Almshouses and the Britannia pub shown as P.H.

1910 OS map

Kelly and Post Office directories from the late 19th and early 20th centuries state that the school was probably built around 1867, for 80 children. It’s worth noting that the Catholic church was built later than the school, in 1889. The directory of 1912 said that the school was enlarged in 1897, for 148 children, and had an average attendance of 123. The 1912 directory said that the school was enlarged again in 1908 for 180 children. Also in that directory was a list of the six school managers, and their clerk:

James Douglas DREWETT, Ravensbury, Upper Green, Mitcham
Bernard HAYWARD, Post office, London Road, Mitcham
Rev. Bernard W. KELLY, St. Anthony’s Hospital, London Road, North Cheam
Berrill Henry MAGUIRE, The Beeches, London Road, Lower Mitcham
Rev. Joshua POOLEY, The Presbytery, Cranmer Road, Mitcham
William F. J. SIMPSON, Park place, Commonside West, Mitcham

Clerk to Managers, William James DICKISSON, Trent House, 87 Melrose Avenue, Mitcham

The directories also gave the head mistress in charge of the school, as shown in this table, where the years are the directory entries.

YEARS Name
1874 and 1878 Miss Mary A. PARKS
1880 Miss Mary CONWAY
1891 Miss Mary Ann RIGBY
1896 Miss Elizabeth BRYCE
1898, 1901 and 1902 Miss DAWSON
1911, 1912, 1913 and 1915 Miss Annie DERHAM
1918 Miss Elizabeth DAVEY

Miss Davey started teaching in 1887, according to this news article from 1933 which reported on her retiring from head mistress.

A WORTHY TEACHER

Miss Davey, the esteemed head mistress of Mitcham Catholic Day School, is retiring to well-merited leisure after 46 years of teaching. She has put the best years and the best efforts of her life into this school, and she has the consolation of knowing that she has not spent herself in vain. When she leaves at the end of February she will take with her the united good wishes of the priest, the parents, and the children for her devoted service.

From the Mitcham News & Mercury, 6th January, 1933, page 1.


The name of the school in the directories was either the Lower Mitcham Catholic School, or the Mitcham Catholic Day School as in the 1933 news item.

Listed in the 1971 phone book as S.S. Peter & Paul R.C. Primary, Cricket Green, telephone 01-648 1459.


Merton Memories Photos

Catholic chapel that was demolished when school was rebuilt in 1974
1970 school playground
undated colour photo of school from Cricket Green

Eric Montague Slides
A 1966 photo of the Sheila Shaw horse riding school, at number 40 next door to the Catholic school, shows part of the entrance and its notice board, that is headed ‘Ss Peter & Paul’s Catholic School’.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

St Marks Road

Road that today runs eastwards from London Road, where the Baths used to be, then curves south to the end of Majestic Way and heads east again to Lammas Avenue.

Originally called Killick’s Lane until the St Marks church was built in 1898. It was named after Samuel Killick, a local builder who had his yard there. Amongst the various local buildings, his name is mentioned on the blue plaque at the parish vicarage, which reads:

This building, erected by Samuel Killick in 1826 for the Rev. Richard Cranmer, replaces an earlier vicarage.

The fanlight and the unusual pattern of window glazing bars are interesting features.

1910 OS map

Numbers 1 to 7 on the north side of St Marks Road at the London Road end was known as York Place.

The 1911 street directory shows two lines of houses both called St Mark’s Villas. The first is a terrace of 4 houses to the west of the school, and the second a group of 8 houses as 4 semi-detached houses, numbered from 1 to 8 from the corner with Lansdell Road. Below are the occupants from this directory, as described from London Road towards Eastfields:

NORTH SIDE

1, John K. HARVEY, chemist
2, John Samuel WRIGHT, dining rooms
3, George YORK, undertaker
4, James PRICE, hair dresser
5, William WHITTINGTON, tobacconist
6, W.A.MARTIN, butcher
7, Mrs S. RIMMEL, grocer

STAIR COTTAGES:

1, John TAYLOR
2, William Jesse LUNT
3, Frederick BURTON
4, Albert Edward BLAND
5, William TYLER
6, William LAWRENCE

ST. MARK’S VILLAS:

4, John SUDDS
3, John William GILMORE
2, John William MONKS
1, George WHITTINGHAM

St. Mark’s Sunday School
Walter JORDAN (School house)
Council Schools

ST. MARK’S VILLAS:

8, Frederick WHITE
7, Alfred R. CHEAL
6, Charles Henry J SIVIOUR
5, Noel Austin HARVEY
4, George William LAWRENCE
3, Henry BENNETT
2, Walter BLACKSTONE
1, William MATTHEWS

…. here is Lansdell Road

SOUTH SIDE
RAVENSBURY COTTAGES:
8, Thomas CLARKE
7, Charles TARRANT
6, Henry DRINKWATER
5, Mrs ROBERTS
4, Edward BURTON
3, Mrs E. KILBY

Alfred NASH & Sons, wheelwrights

George Arthur MIZEN
F.L. & A.G. MIZEN, market gardeners
St. Marks Church

Between Stair’s Cottages and the School House, the 1922 electoral register shows two terraces: South View Cottages and South Place, each with four dwellings. The order shown in the register is repeated here.

SOUTH VIEW COTTAGES
1, John William and Eva Jessie GILMORE
2, Alfred and Bathsheba OLDMEADOW
3, John and Betsy WADDINGTON
4, David and Lily JONES

SOUTH PLACE
4, John JORDAN; John William and Kate HAWKINS
3, William Charles and Kate COLLYER
2, Alfred, Mary and Alfred junior COUSALL
1, Ernest Edward and Elizabeth Lucy JONES

In the 1925 street directory, all the houses have been renumbered.

Stairs Cottages from 6 to 1 were renumbered 15 to 25 St Marks Road.

South View Cottages 1 to 4 were renumbered 29 to 35 St Marks Road, see 1925 directory below, and South Place from 4 to 1 were renumbered 37 to 43.

The School House became number 47, occupied by Frederick, Alice and Frederick Henry NEWSOM.

Houses named Doniford became number 59 and Astroea became 61.

NORTH SIDE
Fair green:

1, John K. HARVEY M.P.S., chemist
3, William SCRATCHLEY, dining rooms
5, George YORK, undertaker
7, H. TEDDER, hair dresser
9, William WHITTINGTON, tobacconist
11, A. BACON, hosier
13, S. & E. RIMMEL, grocers
15, Edward Charles STEVENS
17, William MERSH, boot repairer
19, Mrs BURTON
21, Frederick WELLER
23, William WELLER; Miss WELLER, pianoforte teacher
23 (back of) Thomas WELLER, cartage contractor
25, Herbert Fras. Joe SMITH
29, John William GILMORE
31, Alfred OLDMEADOW
33, John WADDINGTON
35, David JONES
37, John William HAWKINS
39, William Charles COLLYER
41, COUSALL & Sons, coal merchants
43, Alfred COUSALL

St Mark’s Parish Room
Upper Mitcham Girls’ School (Surrey Education Committee)

47, Frederick NEWSOM, school keeper
49, Rd. TOWNSEND, coal merchant
49, CARBONIUS Co. compresses carbon manufacturers

59, Henry William AYRES
61, Herbert CORNELL
63, (Sunbury) James LAW
65, (Tolworth) Miss SHEPHERD
67, (Belmont) Frederick SAWYERS
69, (Ardley) Mrs SELLAR
71, (Tongham) A. WARE
73, (Colyton) Alfred CRAIG
75, (Abinger) F. LITTLE
77, John WHALEBONE

83, Frederick WHITE
85, Alfred Robert CHEAL
87, W.L. WHITELEY
89, Mrs A.M. BENNETT
91, Robert J. WELCH
93, Harry BENNETT, insurance agent
95, Walter BLACKSTONE
97, William MATTHEWS

SOUTH SIDE

St. Mark’s Church

…. here is Baker’s Lane

(Maycroft) James Ernest PELLING
(Granville) William W. ORVES
(Kenwood) Charles EVELYN
(Glan-y-Mor) George MARRIN
34, William Henry BEWEN
32, (Homestead) Robert WILSON
30, HUDSON & BLAKE, automobile engineers
28, Oliver BROWN Ltd., varnish manufacturers
26, (Home Close) Charles LACK
24, Edgar HUME
22, Alfred REES
20, Mrs F. BENNETT
16, James DREWETT
14, Mrs MILLS
12, Miss RUFF
10, Edward BURTON
8, Stephen TAYLOR; Henry DRINKWATER
4, Mrs TARRANT
2, Thomas CLARK

Note that at no. 13, S. & E. RIMMEL, grocers, was also listed in the 1911 directory at the same address (when it was no.7) and Sarah E. Rimmel, grocers, was listed in the 1938 commercial directory.

Charles LACK was the son of Hannah LACK who ran the drapers at 4 High Street, Mitcham. With his wife Emily he ran the drapers at no. 2 next door. (From a descendant who made a comment about this on the Facebook Mitcham History group.)

The St Mark’s Parish Room was originally a ‘School Church’ whose appointed mission clergyman in 1891 was the Reverend F.J. LANSDELL whose name is the origin of Lansdell Road.

This OS map from 1952 shows the houses numbered as in the 1925 directory:

1952 OS map

Note that no.s 1 to 43 and the St Marks Parish Room have now gone and is where the pedestrian Majestic Way is today, and that no.s 27 to 35 were set back from the road, this is where the Morrison supermarket is now, and between the supermarket and the school is where St Marks Road today diverts north and west through where the Mitcham Baths was.

Between the school and no. 59 is where Armfield Crescent is today, and between 77 and 83 is now Bedfont Close.

On the south side, the paint works at 28 have gone, and that is where Chalkley Close is today. Number 26 is owned by the Royal British Legion and hosts the Poppy Club. Number 30 is still there.


Adverts

undated ad for GM Paynter at 13 St Marks Road


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Stevenson & Rush, grocers, 327 London Road

From the 1954 telephone directory, Stevenson & Rush Ltd., grocers, wine merchants, was at 327 London Road, telephone no. MITcham 0818. They also had 17 other branches in the area of Kingston, Croydon and Leatherhead.

Jan 1948 ad from parish church magazine

The shop was remembered by a user of the Facebook group Mitcham History, who said:

When I think of shops in Mitcham, I remember the names of Harpers sweet shop on the corner of Bramcote Ave and Stevenson & Rush in London Road. Harpers I remember waiting with a bowl to collect the ice cream during rationing and Stevenson & Rush for the smell of ground coffee.

Listed in the 1930 commercial directory as

Stevenson & Rush Ltd. grocers, 325 & 327 London rd. T N 0818

This address was part of The Broadway, subsequently demolished when the London Road was widened.