Photo taken 2016. The pub sign is no longer hanging from its frame on the pub sign post.
Photo taken 2016. There are two coat of arms signs on the flanking walls of the pub building.
The coat of arms displayed on the walls of the Surrey Arms pub are for the county of Surrey. These arms were in use from 8th August 1934, and were replaced on September 20, 1974.
The description or blazon of these arms :
Per pale Azure and Sable a Fess per pale Ermine and Or in chief a representation of the Crown of King Edgar proper and a Sprig of Oak fructed Argent.
King Edgar, as well as several other Saxon kings, were crowned in Kingston. The ermine underneath the crown is from the arms of the Borough of Richmond. When Kingston and Richmond became part of Greater London, they left Surrey and so these arms were changed.
The sprig of oak and the colours azure and sable (blue and black) have been retained on the current arms for Surrey, see the Heraldry of the World website.
17 Western Road
Mechanical and Electric Meters
Borough of Mitcham List of Factories,
Town Clerk’s Department,
Available at Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.
Reference L2 (670) MIT
According to Grace’s Guide to British Industrial History
, the company was founded in 1931 by H.C. Cooper as manufacturers of special lighting equipment.
1952 OS map
In the 1954 telephone directory, the company was listed at 17 Western Road, with the number MIT 3072
Company wound up in 1974:
MEK-ELEK ENGINEERING LTD.
Notice is hereby given in pursuance of section 290 of the Companies Act, 1948, that a General Meeting of the Members of the above-named Company will be held at the offices of Messrs. Hesketh Hardy Hirshfield & Co, at Norwich House, 13 Southampton Place, London, WC1A 2AR, on Monday, 24th June 1974, at 11 o’clock in the forenoon precisely for the purpose of having an account laid before them and to receive the Liquidator’s report showing how the winding-up of the Company has been conducted and the property of the Company disposed of, and of hearing any explanation that may be given by the Liquidator; and also of determining by Extraordinary Resolution the manner in which the books, accounts, papers and documents of the Company and of the Liquidator thereof, shall be disposed of. Any Member entitled to attend and vote is entitled to appoint a proxy to attend and vote who need not be a Member himself.
Dated 20th May 1974.
C. E. Bond, Liquidator.
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.
He had a grocery and provisions shop at 34 Church Road, at the corner of Church Place, opposite the Bull pub.
Listed in the 1930 and 1938 directories as
Stenning Montague J. grocer, 34 Church rd
An indication of when he started trading from number 34 can be found in the advertisements of the Mitcham Parish Church Magazine. His first ad appears in the July 1924 issue, and in the January 1924 issue the shop has the name W. B. Trowbridge.
July 1924 ad in Parish Church Magazine
January 1924 ad in Parish Church Magazine
In this 1974 photo, number 34 is derelict, but part of ‘MJ Stenning’ can be seen on the railings near the ground.
Listed in the 1930 Commercial Directory as a surgery, occupied by Drs Henry Love and Ernest McIntyre.