Tag Archives: 1904

G. Davis, greengrocers (“Blowers”)

Greengrocers, George DAVIS & Sons, that was at 1a and 41 Upper Green East, also known as “Blowers”. On Sundays, in season, they sold seafood.

1952 ad

Text of ad:

HIGH CLASS
FRUITERERS & GREENGROCERS

EST. OVER 50 YEARS

G. DAVIS & SONS,
(Davis Fruiterers Ltd.)

Better known as “BLOWERS”

41 and 1a Upper Green East, Mitcham

Winkles, shrimps, etc.
On Sundays Only
(When in Season)

Phone:
MIT. 2189

1973 ad

The last day of trading was 4th March 1978, according to Merton Memories, and shown in this clip:

clip from Merton Memories, reference Mit_Work_Industry_41-1

Listed in the 1902 directory as George W. Davis, fruiterer, and in the 1904 street directory, as described as heading east:

Mrs TURNER, baker
Henry SEARLE, furniture dealer
William LAWRENCE, dining room

…… here are Watts cots ……

George DAVIS, greengrocer

and in the 1930 commercial directory as George W. Davis & Son, greengrocers, and in the 1954 telephone directory as Davis Fruiterers Ltd, 41 Upper Green East, MIT 2189


The shop at 41 Upper Green East is, in 2020, used by Magrath Locksmiths, who possibly moved there in 1992.

St. Georges Road

Road that runs south easterly from Cedars Avenue to Tamworth Park. Houses are numbered even from 2 to 68 on the south western side, and odd from 1 to 73 on its north eastern side. Even numbers have the postcode CR4 1EB and odd have CR4 1ED,

This OS map from 1953 also shows the Surrey County Council Pentlands Remand Home.

1953 OS map

According to Eric Montague on page 95 of his book
Mitcham Histories: 3 Pollards Hill, Commonside East and Lonesome, the houses, with their distinctive Courtrai du Nord interlocking tiles, were built by the Tamworth Park Construction Co., whose managing director, Joseph Owen, lived at the house called Pentlands at the eastern end of St Georges Road. Pentlands is shown in this map of 1910, and is named in earlier street directories. It was used by the Surrey County Council from 1937 to 1983 as a remand home, and, after it closed, the building was demolished, and houses were built on the site. Planning application MER175/84 was approved 19th April 1984 for the construction of 14 two storey, 3 bedroom houses with car parking.

1910 OS map

Occupants from Street Directories

Not mentioned in the 1891 directory, but is in the 1896.

1896 and 1898

St. Georges road, from Cedars avenue, Common side east

WEST SIDE

George Rupert UPTON (Northolme)
William WALFORD (St. George’s)

1904

St. Georges road, from Cedars avenue, Common side east

WEST SIDE

George Rupert UPTON (Northolme)
Thomas H. STOUT (Glenard)
James ANNAN (Pentlands)

1912

St. Georges road, from Cedars avenue, Common side east

WEST SIDE

George Rupert Thomas UPTON (Northolme)
James ANNAN (Pentlands)

This postcard of 1908 is addressed to a Miss Wheatley of Glenard, the second house from the Cedars Avenue end as shown on the 1910 OS map.

1908 postcard, from the Facebook Mitcham History group

World War 1 Connection

2nd Lieutenant Ralph Hamon Weeley UPTON

From the Mitcham and Tooting Mercury, 11th May, 1917, page 4:

MITCHAM OFFICER KILLED

Lieut. R. Upton

We regret to learn, just before going to press, that Lieut. R. Upton, younger son of Mr and Mrs Rupert Upton, of “Northolme,” has been killed in action in France. General sympathy will be expressed with Mr Upton, who is Inspector of the Mitcham Special Constabulary, and Mrs Upton in their great loss.

His name is on the west side of the Mitcham War Memorial as UPTON. R.H.W.


Earlist newspaper article found is from the Morning Post – Monday 7th January 1895:

UPTON. — On the 4th inst., at Northolme, Commonside, Mitcham, the wife of G.R.T. Upton, barrister-at-law, of a son.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.