Tag Archives: 1898

St. Georges Road

Road that runs south easterly from Cedars Avenue to Tamworth Park. Houses are numbered even from 2 to 68 on the south western side, and odd from 1 to 73 on its north eastern side. Even numbers have the postcode CR4 1EB and odd have CR4 1ED,

This OS map from 1953 also shows the Surrey County Council Pentlands Remand Home.

1953 OS map

According to Eric Montague on page 95 of his book
Mitcham Histories: 3 Pollards Hill, Commonside East and Lonesome, the houses, with their distinctive Courtrai du Nord interlocking tiles, were built by the Tamworth Park Construction Co., whose managing director, Joseph Owen, lived at the house called Pentlands at the eastern end of St Georges Road. Pentlands is shown in this map of 1910, and is named in earlier street directories. It was used by the Surrey County Council from 1937 to 1983 as a remand home, and, after it closed, the building was demolished, and houses were built on the site. Planning application MER175/84 was approved 19th April 1984 for the construction of 14 two storey, 3 bedroom houses with car parking.

1910 OS map

Occupants from Street Directories

Not mentioned in the 1891 directory, but is in the 1896.

1896 and 1898

St. Georges road, from Cedars avenue, Common side east

WEST SIDE

George Rupert UPTON (Northolme)
William WALFORD (St. George’s)

1904

St. Georges road, from Cedars avenue, Common side east

WEST SIDE

George Rupert UPTON (Northolme)
Thomas H. STOUT (Glenard)
James ANNAN (Pentlands)

1912

St. Georges road, from Cedars avenue, Common side east

WEST SIDE

George Rupert Thomas UPTON (Northolme)
James ANNAN (Pentlands)

This postcard of 1908 is addressed to a Miss Wheatley of Glenard, the second house from the Cedars Avenue end as shown on the 1910 OS map.

1908 postcard, from the Facebook Mitcham History group

World War 1 Connection

2nd Lieutenant Ralph Hamon Weeley UPTON

From the Mitcham and Tooting Mercury, 11th May, 1917, page 4:

MITCHAM OFFICER KILLED

Lieut. R. Upton

We regret to learn, just before going to press, that Lieut. R. Upton, younger son of Mr and Mrs Rupert Upton, of “Northolme,” has been killed in action in France. General sympathy will be expressed with Mr Upton, who is Inspector of the Mitcham Special Constabulary, and Mrs Upton in their great loss.

His name is on the west side of the Mitcham War Memorial as UPTON. R.H.W.


Earlist newspaper article found is from the Morning Post – Monday 7th January 1895:

UPTON. — On the 4th inst., at Northolme, Commonside, Mitcham, the wife of G.R.T. Upton, barrister-at-law, of a son.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Figges Marsh in street directories

Postcards from around the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries might have the address of Figgs Marsh, Mitcham, such as this one:

1906 postcard to Mrs Tutty, Figgs Marsh, Mitcham.

Street Directories from around that time show that the roads on either side of the green called Figges Marsh, that is, London Road and Streatham Road, were called Figgs Marsh. The occupants shown in the directories is shown below.

Note that ‘west side’ refers to the London Road and ‘east side’ refers to Streatham Road.

The ‘from’ refers to the direction that the list is to be read. In 1891, this was ‘from High Street’ which shows that the road through to the Fair Green was not yet called London Road. In the 1896 directory, London Road is listed as being from Upper Green to Lower Green only.

Also note that:

The house called ‘The Chestnuts’ is today known as ‘Renshaw Corner’.

In the 1891 directory, ‘east’ and ‘west’ are round the wrong way.

In the 1896, 1904, 1911, 1912 and 1915 directories, only the Streatham Road side is referred to and it is called the ‘south side’.

Years listed below:

1891
1896
1898
1904
1911
1912
1915

1891

Figg’s marsh, from High street

WEST SIDE

William LANCEFIELD (The Chestnuts)
Thomas TURNER (The Willows)

…. here is Graham road ….

Mrs Louisa MUNDAY, laundress (Avenue cottage)

…. here is Graham avenue ….

Robert KITE, bricklayer
Mrs Emma WARD, laundress (Manor cottage)

EAST SIDE

Mrs Elizabeth BAMFORD, laundress
J NICKOLLS
George FARNFIELD
W. MORGAN, plumber
Hugh KNIGHT, builder & contractor
E.C. KNIGHT (Manor house)

1896

Figg’s marsh, from High street

EAST SIDE

…. here is Lock’s lane ….

Mrs LANCEFIELD (The Chestnuts)
Mis H.M. BULLOCK, ladies’ college

…. here is Graham road ….

…. here is Graham avenue ….

James MUNDAY, laundry (Avenue cottage)
William CLARK
Mrs BRYANT
Edgar BAMFORD
James GUNN
Alfred GREENAWAY
Robert KITE, bricklayer
George HUMPHREY (The Limes)
Mrs Emma WARD, laundress (Manor cottage)

WEST SIDE

Charles MATTHEWS, contractor (The Poplars)
1 Poplar cottages, Herbert DODD
2 Poplar cottages, Mrs EDWARDS
1 Thanet cottages, James JEAVES
2 Thanet cottages, Edgar NICOLE
William MORGAN, plumber
Mrs HASLAM
Ernest BAMFORD (Moss house)
3 Manor view, James COLE
5 Manor view, William KILLICK

Harry HICKMAN (Tamworth farm)

1898

Figgs marsh, from London road.

SOUTH SIDE

…. here is Lock’s lane ….

Mrs LANCEFIELD (The Chestnuts)
Mis H.M. BULLOCK, ladies’ college

…. here is Graham road ….

…. here is Graham avenue ….

James MUNDAY, laundry (Avenue cottage)
William CLARK
Mrs Bryant
Edgar BAMFORD
Frederick CRESSWELL
Alfred GREENAWAY
Robert KITE, bricklayer
George HUMPHREY (The Limes)
Mrs Emma WARD, laundress (Manor cottage)

1904

Figg’s marsh, from London Road

SOUTH SIDE

…. here is Lock’s lane ….

The Mitcham Steam Laundry Co. Lim. (Elnathan)
Wallace James CULLIMORE (Elnathan)

…. here is Graham road ….

…. here is Graham avenue ….

1911

Figg’s marsh, from London Road

SOUTH SIDE

…. here is Lock’s lane ….

Percy M. STRATTON (The Chestnuts)

…. here is Graham road ….

…. here is Graham avenue ….

1912

Figg’s marsh, from London road.

SOUTH SIDE

…. here is Lock’s lane ….

James PAIN & Sons, fireworks manufacturers
Arthur GIBBONS (The Chestnuts)

…. here is Graham road ….

…. here is Graham avenue ….

1915

Figg’s marsh, from London road.

SOUTH SIDE

…. here is Lock’s lane ….

James PAIN & Sons, fireworks manufacturers
Alfred MOUTRIE (The Chestnuts)

…. here is Graham road ….

…. here is Graham avenue ….

1898 : Making oil cloth in Mitcham

From Pearsons Weekly (P.W.):-

A VERY SECRET TRADE.

P.W. IS SPECIALLY FAVOURED, AND SEES THE WHOLE PROCESS OF OILCLOTH MAKING.

Thanks to the courtesy of Messrs. Hampton, P.W. has been through a large factory in Mitcham and seen the whole process of oil-cloth making from beginning to end, from the plain canvas stretched on huge vertical frames sixty-one feet high to the rolling up, ready, one might say, for putting down on your floors.

To start with, the canvas is made in Scotland, and is delivered in whole lengths measuring as much as 145 yards long and six or eight yards wide. It is especially strong stuff woven of yarns made of hemp and flax combined, or jute, or other strong raw material. These fields of canvas are out into lengths to suit the frames, measuring sixty-one feet by twenty-four.

Like stage cloths, they are nailed by the upper edge to battens that run across at the top, being also secured tightly to side frames in order to stretch them.

Now, to render oil-cloth stout, solid, and durable the canvas in the rough_or first state has many coats of paint applied to it, the first coat being quite a pigment in substance, so thick, indeed, that it is actually laid on with a trowel. That is the first process, if we except the sizing. This pigment, or paint, is put on in four sections by “trowellers” who are stationed on one-plank platforms running along the sides of the canvas, the man on the top plank working down as low as be can, the man below him starting where his mate leaves off, and so on to the bottom. Before the first coat is allowed to set hard it is pumiced down to make it smooth and even. Both sides receive at least two coats of this thickish paint., then the upper side is treated with two or three more coats of thin paint, put on with a brush properly; it is then pumiced down again, and a final coat leaves it ready for the printing rooms.

These canvases weigh half a ton, and there was over a mile of canvas being treated at the time of our visit. Our canvas having been left hanging for two or three weeks it is now set hard and dry, so it is ingeniously wound round a roller and taken to the “printeries” where it undergoes that artistic treatment so familiar to our eyes in the multitudinous patterns, and in the working of the hundred and one colours seen in the rolls of oil-cloth you meet with everywhere.

The printing “lofts” harmoniously correspond with the “flies” of a stage; ropes, battens, gridirons, cloths, little gangways, everything, in fact, that one has seen in the place named you come across in the lofts of an oil-cloth factory.

Our canvas being fixed into position, it is allowed to pass over a table twenty-four feet long to receive the impression of the printing blocks. A separate block is required for every colour introduced into the pattern, the blocks being eighteen inches square. In the old days the printer had to use considerable personal force in pressing down on the block to make the requisite impression, but now a hand press, which travels along a trolley fixed overhead, is used.

Every colour in use has its own pad, and this is fed by a boy; a follower aids the printer. The blocks are usually made of deal, and the pattern is cut out in the wood; for very fine work the pattern is cut in brass.

To proceed : the printer takes up the block he wants, presses it on the pad of colour–the pads are all arranged in order at his book—and then applies it to the surface of the painted cloth. In some patterns as many as ten blocks are used, but the usual number is about five. He goes right across the cloth from one side to the other with one block at a time, and then goes over the same ground again with the second block. this method being observed till all the blocks have been used. The cloth having been printed it is taken to the drying warehouse, where it hangs for several weeks drying, at the end of which time it is varnished and then left to dry for another week or two.

If there was at the time of our visit a mile of canvas and over under the initial treatment there must have been at least five or six miles of cloth depending from the roof of the high building, all being seasoned.

The varnishing process is, of course, simple, but it puts on a smiling face to the cloths which before that treatment wear a sad, dull countenance.

Although the paint used differs in nothing from that used by the ordinary house painter, yet we could not conscientiously recommend you to try to paint your doors with it.

In order to bring their business up to modern wants and usages, a heat-drying warehouse has lately been erected where cloths are seasoned by artificial heat, which is pumped into the rooms by a patent engineering device, the heat being generated by engines in an adjoining building.

Kamptulicon was the pioneer of the new departure in floor-cloths, and was brought into use a little over fifty years ago. Oil-cloth has been in existence since 1745.

Alter kamptulicon came linoleum, about thirty years ago, invented by a Mr. Walton.

Source: Pearson’s Weekly – Saturday 29 October 1898 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)

Tamworth Park

Road that runs between Commonside East, about a fifth of a mile east of the Beehive Bridge, and Tamworth Lane.

The three fields shown in this 1866 OS map, between The Cedars and Tamworth Lodge, is likely to be the plot referred to in the 1873 sale below.

1866 OS map

This building plot of about 9 acres was advertised for sale in an ad in 1873 where it was described that 40 feet of the road had already been laid out.

From the Globe – Saturday 21 June 1873

MITCHAM, Surrey.

— Tamworth-park Estate, about nine acres of valuable Freehold Building Land, immediately fronting Mitcham-common (an open space of 600 to 700 acres extent, which can never be built upon or enclosed). on the high road to Croydon, within 15 minutes’ walk of the Mitcham Junction Station on the South London, Peckham, and Sutton branch of the London, Brighton, and South Coast Railway, whence 43 trains run daily to London-bridge, Victoria. and Waterloo Stations, and within tbo same distance of the Beddington and the Mitcham Stations on the Croydon and Wimbledon line of the London and South-Western Railway. A 40 foot road with footways and sower have been made across the property, so that it is fit for immediate building operations. It contains gravel in abundance, is adorned with handsome elm and other ornamental trees, and is admirably adapted for those seeking sites for superior villa residences in a healthy and highly favoured locality, which can never be over built. Immediate possession on completion of the purchase.

MESSRS. DRIVER have received instructions to SELL by AUCTION, at the MART, Tokenhouse-yard, on TUESDAY. the 1st of July, at Two o’clock precisely, the above valuable BUILDING PROPERTY, in six lots.—Particulars shortly of C. B. Hallward, Esq., solicitor, 5. Mitre-court, Temple; and of Messrs. Driver, Surveyors, Land Agents, and Auctioneers. 4, Whitehall, London, S. W.

This 1894 OS map shows that the road had been started from the Commonside East end, the remaining part being a track to Tamworth Lane. The dotted red lines mark an area that, when measured on a geo-referenced map, measures out an area of around 9 acres.

1894 OS map

On this map there are two houses, and these are listed by name in the 1898 street directory:

(Elmhurst), Col. Allan Graeme RAPER
(Tamworth), George WATT

This 1910 OS map shows the houses that were built on the right hand side of the road at the Commonside East end.

1910 OS map

The 1910-1911 street directory lists the houses from Commonside East and on the left, or north-west side are the named houses Elmhurst and Tamworth, and on the right, or south-east side, there are 26 houses numbered sequentially from 1.

Tamworth park, from Coomon side east.

NORTH-WEST SIDE

(Elmhurst), Mrs UPTON
(Tamworth), Thomas DEVEREUX

SOUTH-EAST SIDE

1, William R. BOON
2, Leonard GREEN
3, Albert John STINTON
4, William ROOK
5, George S. BROWNE
6, Albert William ILES
7, Alfred BERRY
9, Arthur LOTT
10, John SCHOFIELD
11, William ELLIS
12, James George BEVERIDGE
13, Herbert Alfred COPPING
14, Frank PIKE
16, John ROBERTSON
17, John J. HUNT
18, William CHURCH
19, William Henry HALL
20, Albert Edward STEPHENS
22, Albert James McGARLANE
23, William C. CHARLWOOD
24, Alfred BRIGHT

Lamp Post Letter Box

25, James Skinner HEARN
26, Charles R. EVES

Note that numbers 8, 15 and 21 are not listed with an occupant.

In the 1925 street directory the houses have been renumbvered even from 2 to 52.

Tamworth park, from Common side east.

NORTH-WEST SIDE

(Elmhurst), Mrs E.J. UPTON
(Tamworth), Thomas DEVEREUX

SOUTH-EAST SIDE

2, William Richard BOON
4, William Alfred BUTLER
6, Henry BRAKELL
8, William ROOK
10, George Samuel BROWNE
12, William Griffith POWELL
14, Henry William CROUCHER
16, Alfred Ernest GREATOREX
18, Mrs M. LOTT
20, John SCHORFIELD
22, Mrs HUMPHREY
24, James George BEVERIDGE and Clarence S. BEVERIDGE, piano tuner
26, George Edwin MASKELL
28, Charles GRAY
30, William MUNN
32, Andrew C. McKECHNIE
34, Walter Humby TREVETT
36, Edward Henry ANDREWS
38, Herbert TURNER
40, Albert Edward STEPHENS
42, Mrs E. UNDERWOOD
44, Anthony CUMING
46, William HUBBARD
48, Alfred SIMMONS
50, James Skinner HEARN
52, Charles N. STOKES

Eric Montague, in his book Mitcham Histories : 3 Pollards Hill, Commonside East and Lonesome, pages 56-7, said that

the northern end of the road was constructed in the late 1920s by the Tamworth Park Construction Company owned by Joseph Owen. Numbers 25 – 51, on the south-western side of the road, like the houses numbered 263 – 273 Commonside East, are in the contrasting art deco style of the 1930s, which owed much to the inspiration of Continental architects, and was perhaps more suited to the south of France. White cement-rendered walls, bright green-glazed pan-tiled roofs, and large metal-framed windows set them apart from the more traditional architecture of the Home Counties.

The 1927 electoral registers shows even numbered houses from 2 to 74, and the addition of odd houses numbered 53 to 75.

clip from September 1929 photo of south east side of Tamworth Park, no.s 2 to 52. From Mertom Memories, photo reference Mit_Streets_P_Wil_68-1

This 1955 OS map shows number 54 away from the road, behind number 52. I am assuming that this was the site office and yard for the building company, Tamworth Park Construction. Later there were car repair workshops and lock-ups. This was redeveloped as Worthington Close, in around 1988/9.

1955 OS map


People

From the Mitcham Golf Club archives:

Jimmy Hearn (no. 25) was the professional to Prince’s Golf Club of Mitcham for over thirty years. He grew up with J.H. Taylor in Devon. Jimmy’s daughter Vera married Nelson Hambly who succeeded Jimmy as professional to Mitcham Golf Club. Nelson was professional there for c. 20 years.

Note that no. 25 was renumbered to 50, see directories above.

In the Norwood News – Tuesday 9th September 1924, the Childrens Circle, conducted by “DADDY”, published correspondence by Ida Hearn from no. 25.

PRIZE AWARD.

Daddy gives two lovely books as prizes every week for the best poetry sent in. The prizes this week go to:—

IDA HEARN,
25, Tamworth-park, Mitcham.

ERNEST DEATH,
“Oakhurst,” Graham-avenue, Mitcham.

AN INTERESTING LETTER.

Dear Daddy,

— I have been very interested in the Children’s Circle. and I thought I should like to become one of your members. I am sending you In a piece of poetry, a riddle, and a joke, which I hope you will see fit to publish, I attend Upper Mitcham Girls’ School. Wishing the Circle the best of luck, Your loving daughter, IDA HEARN. 25, Tamworth-park, Mitcham, Surrey.

POETRY

THE GIRL WORTH WHILE

‘Tis easy enough to be pleasant,
When life flows along like a song,
But the girl worth while is the girl who will smile,
When everything goes dead wrong,
For the test of the heart is trouble,
And it always comes with the years,
And the smile that is worth the promise of earth
Is the smile that comes through tears.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Oakwood Terrace

Terrace of three houses south of the Swan and north of Smith’s Terrace, marked in red on this 1911 map.

From the 1915 street directory, going south on the west side of London Road:

The Swan inn, William POWELL
Adolphus DENDY, wheelwright, (The Oakwoods)

OAKWOOD TERRACE:
3 Arthur WELLS
2 Thomas Walter BOWHILL
1 Arthur HOOKINGS
______
PILLAR LETTER BOX

News Items

From the Sunday Times – Sunday 11 September 1898

ADULTERATION OF MILK.
A LENIENT BENCH.

At the Croydon County Bench yesterday, James Thompson, of Oakwood Terrace, London Road, Mitcham, was summoned for selling milk adulterated with 12 per cent. of water.

Mr. John Martin, a Surrey County Council Inspector, stated that he stopped the defendant on Aug. 17 in London Road, Mitcham, and bought a pint of milk. This was divided, and a portion of it was analysed by Dr. Stevenson, who certified it to contain 12 per cent of added water, with a trace of boracic acid.

Defendant’s explanation was that he had run short of milk, and had borrowed twelve gallons from another dealer in whom he had such confidence that he thought he was acting quite safely.

The Bench took into consideration the Inspector’s report that he had previously found defendant’s milk genuine, and ordered him to pay 5s. costs.

World War 1 Connections

From the Surrey Recruitment Registers:

A HOOKINGS of 1 Oakwood Terrace London Road, aged 41 Years, Printer. Conscripted on 28 December 1916 to the Army Service Corps (k Coy).

F MONK of 1 Oakwood Terrace London Road Mitcham, aged 23 Years, Mantle Cutter. Conscripted on 11 June 1917 to the 84th Training Reserve Batn.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Caxton Printing Works

12 Cricket Green, modern building now rented offices called ‘The Old School House’.

Identified on 1953 OS map as Caxton Printing Works.


From the minutes of the Mitcham Borough Council
Volume 1
1934 to 1935
General Purpose
14th May 1935
page 602

12. CAXTON WORKS, LOWER GREEN WEST.

—The Town Clerk reported that the occupants of the upper floors over the Caxton Printing Works, at Lower Green West, had vacated these premises, and that Mr. H. G. Mather was prepared to let these premises to the Council for living accommodation for firemen should the Council deem them suitable for this purpose. The Town Clerk reported he had ascertained that the inclusive rent required, on a three years’ agreement, would be 30s. per week, the Council being responsible for interior repairs and decoration.

Resolved, That the Council be recommended to rent these premises and that the Borough Engineer be requested to report to the Finance Committee thereon.

Mentioned in an auction of 1889, implying that it was owned by a Mrs Field.

Croydon Advertiser and East Surrey Reporter – Saturday 25 June 1898

SALE THURSDAY NEXT.

By order of the Executors of the late Mrs. Field.

MITCHAM.
—Secure Leasehold Investment.

ROBT. W. PULLER, MOON & FULLER Have received instructions Sell by Auction. at the Greyhound Hotel, Croydon, on Tuesday, June 30th, at Five for Six o’clock.

ALL that LEASEHOLD PROPERTY, comprising a Shop and Dwelling-house, known as the Caxton Printing Works, Lower Green, Mitcham, let on lease at £40 per annum, and two Dwelling houses adjoining, distinguished as Caxton Cottages, one let at 7s. per week, the other let at 6s. 6d. per week. The whole thus producing £75 2s. per annum, and forming a desirable investment.

May be viewed permission of the tenants, and printed particulars with conditions sale obtained at the Greyhound Hotel, Croydon; of the Vendor’s Solicitors, Messrs. Streeter and Howe. 76, High Street. Croydon; and at the Auctioneers’ Offices, Croydon, Reigate. and Epsom.


Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Borough Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Radstock

House in Cedars Avenue until 1950s/60s when demolished and Imperial Gardens developed.

1950 OS Map

1950 OS Map

Occupants from directories
1896 & 1898 : Rev. W.M.C. McALLISTER
1904-1905 : Rev. William Marcus Coghlan McALLISTER ]vicar-designate of St, Marks]
1910 & 1915 : Benjamin GREEN
1925 : Ernest Frank RICHARDSON

Newspapers

From the Church Times, 2nd November, 1900, page 486 :

Wanted nurse, lady or ordinary, to three little girls in a clergyman’s family. Little washing, nurseries. State remuneration, which must be moderate. Mrs McAllister, Radstock, Mitcham, Surrey.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.