Currently residential, but was a newsagents shop. In the 1954 phone book, the occupant was A.G. HENDRA, listed as confectioner & tobacconist.
This property is the left hand one of three, as shown in this photo, taken from the Beehive Bridge. To the left of number 79 is the footpath Lavender Walk.
clip from Merton Memories photo reference Mit_Transport_2-3
1955 OS map
Next door at number 85 was S. BARTON, grocers, in the 1954 phone book. In the above photo, was it called Mitcham Stores to avoid confusion with Barton’s Stores in 1, Kings Parade, Wrythe Lane, Carshalton? (Also in the 1954 phone book)
In this clip from a 1974 photo, the shop is owned by D.G. BAKEWELL
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.
Flower shop that was at 219 London Road
c.1987 clip from Merton Memories photo reference Mit_8_1-33, copyright London Borough of Merton
1982 ad for Courtesy Florals at no. 219
Flowers for all Ocassions
219 London Road
Telephone 01-648 3506
189-191 London Road, Mitcham CR4 2JB, was built in 1962/3 in front of the Mitcham Baptist Church.
c.1987 clip from Merton Memories photo reference Mit_8_1-25 copyright London Borough of Merton
Previously there was open space in front of the church which is set back from the road, as shown in this 1951 OS map:
1952 OS map
Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland
Norwood News, 5th October 1962 via the British Newspaper Archive
Draper’s shop that was on the east side of the London Road, south of the Kings Head pub. This part of London Road was called The Broadway.
In the 1918 Kelly’s directory, listed at 2, 3 and 4 The Broadway.
Mrs Rowland Birkett, draper, was listed in the 1930 commercial directory at 321 London Road.
West side of London Road opposite Inglemere Road.
1949 OS map
Google Street View’s history shows that between 2008 and 2018, it is a barber shop.
In 1983, a motorcycle shop as shown on this receipt:
Receipt for Lamba Motorcycles, 4th August 1983
Newsagent and stationer who had a shop from around 1914 at number 5 the Broadway,
which was later renumbered as 323 London Road, as shown in this ad from the 1934 Official Guide to Mitcham:
Text of ad:
The Mitcham Circulating Library
Also SUBSCRIPTION LIBRARY
in connection with
MESSRS. W. H. SMITH & SON
2d. Volume – – No Deposit.
C. E. SPENCE
ARTISTIC PRINTER :: STATIONER
BOOKSELLER AND NEWSAGENT
BOOKBINDER :: PICTURE FRAMER
FANCY NEEDLEWORK :: TOYS
(Agent for Pullar’s Dye Works).
323 London Road, LOWER MITCHAM
In the 1913 directory, the newsagent is listed as John James KENYON. In the 1915 directory it is C.E. SPENCE.
In the 1939 register, Charles Edward SPENCE, stationer newsagent, born 1872, lived at 323 London Road with his wife Fanny E.M.B. SPENCE.
He died in 1941 and left £590 4s. to his widow Fanny Emma Mary Broadridge SPENCE.
Car accessories shop that was at 1 St Marks Road, Mitcham and 2 The Market, Wrythe Lane, Carshalton.
Clip from 1975 photo by Eric Montague of the Merton Historical Society.
Receipt from 2nd July 1981