Tag Archives: Manor Road

Leading Aircraftsman Gregory James Ash

He was born 16th November 1904 and baptised on 15th January 1905 at St Crispin’s, Bermondsey. His parents were James Richard and Ellen Ash.

At 22, he married Elizabeth Harriett Burnett, 22, on the 23rd July 1927 at Christ Church, Bermondsey, Southwark. His father was a compositor.

It is likely that they then moved to Mitcham, as his name is shown on the electoral register in 1928 at 199 Manor Road, not far from its junction with Rowan Road and Wide Way.

In the 1939 Register, Gregory James Ash, born 16th November 1904, was a printing clerk, and lived at 199 Manor Road, Mitcham, with his wife Elizabeth Harriet Ash, housewife, born 28th December 1904, and their daughter Margaret, born 19th March 1931.

He served in the Base Signals Repair Unit of the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, service number 1249162.

On 7th November 1944, he was onboard the ship HM Landing Ship Tank (LST) 420, with around 230 RAF personnel, when it was sunk by a mine outside Ostend, Belgium.

From the ww2Talk forum:

LST-420 left Dover on 7 November with a party of airmen, trucks and supplies for RAF personnel in Belgium. It was unable to enter the port of Ostend because of a severe storm and the captain decided to return to England. The ship was still within sight of Ostend when it hit a mine, split in two, and sank. Fourteen officers and 224 other ranks were lost. Only 31 were saved. It was the greatest loss of lives on a British landing craft during the war. Many of the casualties were buried at Ostend and at Blankenberge cemeteries in Belgium. Above the wreck today is a marker buoy “LST 420.”

He is buried in the Blankenberge Town Cemetery, West Flanders, Belgium. A photo of his grave can be seen on the Find A Grave website.

Commonwealth War Grave Commission casualty record.

Air Raid shelters in 1948

Mitcham Borough Council minutes, volume 15, 1948-49, page 95 :-

The Borough Engineer submitted the following report: –

December 3, 1948.

To the Chairman and Members of the General Purposes Committee.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Air Raid Shelters.

In accordance with the instructions of the Committee I give below a list of shelters which have not yet been demolished :—

  • Morden Road (Deer Park Gardens).
  • Commonside West.
  • Commonside East.
  • Manor Road.
  • Rowan Road.
  • Figges Marsh S.
  • Figges Marsh N.
  • Manship Road.
  • Moffatt Gardens.
  • Cranmer Road.
  • Fair Green.
  • Carshalton Road.

Home Office sanction to the making safe of the shelters has just been received and negotiations are proceeding with the contractors, Messrs. J. Sullivan, Ltd., whose tender (in the sum of £603 15s.) was forwarded, in July, to the Home Office for approval.

Personal note: I remember in the mid 1960s the air raid shelters at the southern end of Figges Marsh and on the north side of Cranmer Road near the junction with Carshalton Road.

Browns Garage

60 Manor Road

Tyre Repairers

1979 photo of owner on Merton Memories. Other photos are from 1959 of a petrol pump with a man, undated photos of a petrol pump and the garage taken from across the road, also of the forecourt with four petrol pumps, selling Regent petrol. This dates the petrol pump photos to pre 1967 when the Regent brand was changed to Texaco.


Source:
Borough of Mitcham List of Factories,
Town Clerk’s Department,
July 1963.
Available at Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.
Reference L2 (670) MIT

Manor Road

In this 1913 OS Map, Manor Road was the name of the road at the northern edge of the Urban District boundary, and continued along past the Streatham Park Cemetery, then south towards Mitcham Common.

1913 OS Map

1913 OS Map

1913 OS Map

1913 OS Map

Parts of the road were renamed, after this suggestion in 1926:

From the minutes of the Mitcham Urban District Council
Highways, New Streets and Buildings, and Lighting Committee
Tuesday, 14th September, 1926

6. MANOR ROAD.

— Read letters from the Battersea District Post Office and the Streatham Park Cemetery Company suggesting the renaming of Manor Walk and a portion of Manor Road in order to prevent confusion.

Resolved to recommend, That the following names be adopted :

Manor Road, from Commonside East to a point 300 yards north-east of Willow Cottages ;

Northborough Road, from Manor Road to Croydon Boundary, and to be numbered from the Croydon end of the road ;

Rowan Road, from Manor and Northborough Road to Wandsworth boundary opposite No. 31, Greyhound Terrace ;

Greyhound Terrace, from Rowan Road to Lilian Road.


Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Urban District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Walter Rock bakery in Gorringe Park Parade

This 1920 ad has W Rock & Sons bakery at number 6 Gorringe Park Parade. After renumbering, no. 6 Gorringe Park Parade became number 41 London Road. As it has a SW17 postcode, this address may be listed as Tooting, but this is in Mitcham, being south of the River Graveney, which was the boundary of the urban district of Mitcham.

1920 ad

1920 ad

In the 1914 directory, he is listed as Walter Rock.

In the 1938 directory, W. Rock & Sons, bakery, at 41 London Road, also has shops at 156 London Road and 211 Manor Road.

In this 1954 telephone directory listing, the Manor Road bakery is shown, but no longer the London Road shops. In addition the bakery is in Hackbridge:

1954-phone-book-w-rock

In 2016, the occupant of 41 London Road is the Mulino bakery and sandwich shop.

Wide Way

Road that runs from the crossroads at its north end with Manor Road, Rowan Road and Northborough Road, south-easterly to the roundabout with Recreation Way, South Lodge Avenue, Chestnut Grove and Sherwood Park Road. See Open Street Map.

1954 OS map

Temporary housing using Nissen Huts was on the south side of the road until 1960.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.