Tag Archives: 1971

Ruth Cole

In an ad from 1934, Ruth Cole, ladies’, children’s and gentlemen’s hairdresser, was at 6, Upper Green East.

In the 1952 Shopping Week booklet, the business was listed as a member of the Mitcham Chamber of Commerce, at 195 London Road, Mitcham.

Hairdressing
Cecilia, 160 London Road, Mitcham.
F. T. Hendry, 145 Streatham Road, Mitcham.
J. Jacobs, 5 Belgrave Road, Mitcham.
Ruth Cole, 195 London Road, Mitcham.

The business may have moved to the London Road due to bomb damage during the Blitz.

In the 1971 telephone directory, the shop is listed as Ruth Cole, Ladies Hairdressers, 195 London Road, Mitcham, 01-648 3828.

This photo from around 1987, shows the shop still being used as hairdressers, and called Goldilocks, next to Ossie’s Taverna.

clip of c. 1989 photo on Merton Memories, photo reference ref Mit_​8_​1-39

Google StreetView of April 2018 shows 195 London Road as a convenience store.

J.H. Peters, Optician

c. 1962 clip from Merton Memories photo reference Mit_Streets_P_Will_77-2

Addresses taken from phone books:

1959 : 4A Western Road, MIT 7114
1966 : 4 Western Road, 01-648 7114
1981 : 6 Fair Green Parade, 01-648 7114.

J.H. Peters was James Henry Peters, the marathon runner known as Jim Peters.

From the Liverpool Echo – Wednesday 13 January 1999

Marathon hero Peters dies

MARATHON legend Jim Peters, who caught the imagination of the public at the 1954 Empire Games in Canada when he staggered around the last lap, has died aged 80.

Peters entered the Vancouver stadium around three miles ahead of the next competitor but dehydration had taken its toll and as the crowd rose to acclaim him he faltered and began to stagger.

He fell six times and his anguished English team-mates at trackside could not help for fear that he would be disqualified if he received any assistance.

They were finally able to go to his aid when it was clear he was not going to cross the finishing line of the race eventually won by Scotland’s Joe McGhee.

But his courageous efforts over the final few yards made an unforgettable sight which was etched in the minds of millions by Movietone News.

He ran a world’s best time in the marathon each year from 1952 to 1954 but he was more celebrated in that glorious defeat than in his victories during the fifties.

Peters quit athletics after the Games – “It cost me my killer instinct” he said – but the image of his heroic bid for a gold medal 45 years ago still lives on.

David Bedford, the international race director of the London Marathon, said: “Jim was a class runner when marathon running, unlike today, was unfahsionable.

Plimsoles

“He trained harder than most – often 100 miles a week – and believed in the work ethic with his thousands of miles run in plimsoles.

“My first memories of him were from newspaper pictures showing him collapsing when in sight of the finish.”

Bedford, the former 10,000 metres world record holder, added: “Few athletes push themselves to such exhaustion as Jim did at those Games. He was unique.”

Alkens Drawing Supplies Ltd

Draughtsman supplies shop, was at Monarch Parade, London Road.

c.1987 clip from Merton Memories, photo reference Mit_​8_​1-18

This receipt from 1981 shows the address as 73/75 Monarch Parade. London Road, Mitcham CR4 2JB, tel 01-640 5316.

Receipt dated 8th June, 1981.

The 1971 telephone directory showed the address as 189 London Road, telephone 01-640 0461.

Note that a company of the same name was incorporated in 2007 and dissolved in February 2019, and it is not known whether there was a connection with this business in Mitcham.

69 Monarch Parade

On the left, no. 70, and on the right, no. 69 Monarch Parade. Photo taken after 69 has closed and was being refurbished.

It had been known as Palmers barbers from possibly the 1970s. In the 1971 phone book, C.F. Tucker is listed as gents hairdressers, telephone 01-648 6031.

clip from 1987 photo on Merton Memories, reference Mit_​8_​1-15 copyright London Borough of Merton

It was a barber shop up to May 2018, when the lease was terminated by Goldplaza (Mitcham) Ltd.

Notice of Forfeiture

Reopened August 2018 as a Nigerian restaurant.

234 to 240 London Road

On the west side of London Road, a three storey building that replaced a row of shops that had formed part of the old High Street. Possibly built around 1969.

Clip from Merton Memories photo 27990, copyright London Borough of Merton

1952 OS map

This clip from a Merton Memories photo was taken in 1961, and shows the board announcing that numbers 234 to 240 are to be replaced by a new building.

Clip from Merton Memories photo 51738, copyright London Borough of Merton.

If you click on this clip to see the full photo on the Merton Memories website, you can see the businesses (from left to right) as:

240, C.F. HARDY, hairdressers
238, MONARCH, dyers and cleaners
236, KWIK KNIT CENTRE
234, GROVEPERT Ltd.

Numbers 12, 13, 14 and 15 were renumbered, (in 1926/7), to 240, 238, 236 and 234.

Occupants from street directories:
1891
12, Charles MACRO, hair dresser
13, C. SAUNDERS & Co., grocers
14, William COURT, baker
15, MOULAND & BENNETT, Watchmakers

1925
12, H. MACRO, hair dresser
13, Miss H.M. HICKS, milliner
14, M. HICKS & Sons, bakers
15, G.H. HUDSON, watch maker

1930
240, William J. KEMP, hair dresser
238, Miss Hilda Mary HICKS, milliner
236, M. HICKS & Sons, confectioners
234, Mrs. George Henry HUDSON, watch maker

 

1971

234, Home Radio (Components) Ltd., Mail Order of Elec Cmpnts, tel 01-648 8422

Arnold Road

Arnold Road is off the west side of London Road, south and parallel to Finborough Road. All properties in this road have the same postcode, SW17 9HU. Although in Mitcham, this road has a Tooting postcode as post was originally delivered from the Lower Tooting post office.

There were 20 large houses, or villas, that were built sometime before 1880. They were each converted into 2 self-contained flats, according to planning application MER456/75, which was granted in January 1976.

This OS map of 1894 shows five linked semi-detached houses on both sides of the road.

1894 OS map

These 20 houses were numbered sequentially from 1 to 10 on each side.

They were built before 1880, as occupants are shown in that year’s directory :

(Note that this directory doesn’t say which side of the road these houses are on, and so it has been deduced from later directories.)

NORTH SIDE

1, John Frederick BUCCLEUGH
2, James Henry COLLINGWOOD
3, Samuel BENIAMS
5, William ANCELL
6, Mrs AUSTIN
7, Mrs MORTON
8, Frederick GRITTEN
9, Samuel PRENTICE
10, William JONES

SOUTH SIDE

3, John YOUNG
5, Miss OWEN
6, Frank MULLINS
Fairlight Villa, Mrs TOHLER
9, George TYLER

The 1891 street directory describes the road as from the western end to the Mitcham Road, as that part of London Road was called at the time.

NORTH SIDE

10, Miss Mary JONES
9, W.G. ROLFE (Hazeldene)
5, Mrs ARMITAGE
4, John YOUNG
3, Theo George SCHOMBURG
2, James Henry COLLINGWOOD

(Note that there were no entries for 1, 6, 7 and 8)

SOUTH SIDE

2, Horace Godbold DARBY
3, John BECKETT
4, Miss TURNER
5, Henry CHATAWAY (Waltair)
7, J. HOLMAN (Fairlight villa)
8, Mrs. OSWIN (Brooklyn)
9, H.W.TAYLOR (Wraxall)
10, Edward HORSEY

(Note that there were no entries for 1 and 6)

The 1894 street directory shows more houses occupied and gives more house names.

NORTH SIDE

10, Miss Mary JONES
9, W.G. ROLFE (Hazeldene)
8, Mrs KNIGHT (Glynavon)
7, Mrs PRITCHARD (Avondale)
6, Mrs Mary DAVIS
5, William BRIGHTWELL
4, Mrs SHEAR (Defoe)
3, Theo George SCHOMBURG
Ernest THOMPSON (Cwmbrook)

(Note that a number is not shown for Cwmbrook, which could be either 2 or 1)

SOUTH SIDE

1, Thomas R. KNIGHT
2, Charles A. BURNE
3, Leonard A. NEWSOM
4, Claude Albert MILLARD
5, Charles FISHER (Waltair)
7, Thomas Edward B. SWALLOW (Fairlight)
8, Joseph Wallis HEWETT (Brooklyn)
9, Mrs H.W. TAYLOR (Wraxall)
10, Spencer SOAN
Mrs Elizabeth TAYLOR, cow keeper

(cowkeeper Mrs Taylor is likely to be the same at Crusoe Dairy Farm, at the western end of Arnold Road)

In the 1912 street directory, the houses have been renumbered even on the north side and odd on the south, from London Road. Except one, the house names are no longer shown.

NORTH SIDE

2, James Edward WHEELER
4, David Scott WILLIAMSON
6, Robert Arthur SIMMONS
8, Mrs Edgley
10, Henry Claude TAYLOR
12, Henry THOMPSON
14, George THOMAS
16, Richard FRYER
18, Mrs HARDING
20, Charles P. LOWS

SOUTH SIDE

1, Thomas R. KNIGHT
3, Mrs STRATTON
5, Charles MILLISH
7, Harry George ROUSE
9, Mrs MOORE
11, Cyrus COOMBS
13, Sydney Adolphus CURRY
15, Joseph Wallis HEWETT (Brooklyn)
17, William SEAGER
19, Thomas TAYLOR, cowkeeper

This OS map from 1951 shows the numbering of the houses as they are today.

1951 OS map

The map shows the addition of another house on the north side, numbered 2A/2B, and a garage on the south side, the front of which can be seen in this 1952 photo:

clip from 1952 photo on Merton Memories, photo reference Mit_Streets_Lon_38-40

Lex Garages Ltd., was listed in the 1954 phone book as at 66 London Road, telephone MIT 3951.

In the 1971 phone book it was the Monza Garage service station, which sold Lada cars at some point, with telephone numbers 01-648 9559 and 4091.

At the same address, in the warehouse at the back of the garage was Bearmach (London) Ltd., exporter of motor components, telephone 01-648 9654. This company employed me for £20 a week as a summer job in 1973. The job included taking Land Rover spares out of their boxes and putting them into Bearmach boxes for sale abroad.

This warehouse was redeveloped in 2016 into 4 town houses called Tota Mews, according to planning application 16/P0833, which was granted in May that year. The townhouses have their entrances in Arnold Road, with their rear gardens and garages backing onto Swains Road.

In 2020, the garage site on the London Road is a Halfords Autocentre.


World War 1 Connections

Trooper Leslie Seymour EDGLEY

From the Surrey Recruitment Registers:

A ELMS of 7 Arnold Road, Tooting Junction, aged 24 Years 9 Months, Painter. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 11 December 1915 to the Army Service Corps (K Coy).

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.