Tag Archives: 1915

Figges Marsh in street directories

Postcards from around the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries might have the address of Figgs Marsh, Mitcham, such as this one:

1906 postcard to Mrs Tutty, Figgs Marsh, Mitcham.

Street Directories from around that time show that the roads on either side of the green called Figges Marsh, that is, London Road and Streatham Road, were called Figgs Marsh. The occupants shown in the directories is shown below.

Note that ‘west side’ refers to the London Road and ‘east side’ refers to Streatham Road.

The ‘from’ refers to the direction that the list is to be read. In 1891, this was ‘from High Street’ which shows that the road through to the Fair Green was not yet called London Road. In the 1896 directory, London Road is listed as being from Upper Green to Lower Green only.

Also note that:

The house called ‘The Chestnuts’ is today known as ‘Renshaw Corner’.

In the 1891 directory, ‘east’ and ‘west’ are round the wrong way.

In the 1896, 1904, 1911, 1912 and 1915 directories, only the Streatham Road side is referred to and it is called the ‘south side’.

Years listed below:

1891
1896
1898
1904
1911
1912
1915

1891

Figg’s marsh, from High street

WEST SIDE

William LANCEFIELD (The Chestnuts)
Thomas TURNER (The Willows)

…. here is Graham road ….

Mrs Louisa MUNDAY, laundress (Avenue cottage)

…. here is Graham avenue ….

Robert KITE, bricklayer
Mrs Emma WARD, laundress (Manor cottage)

EAST SIDE

Mrs Elizabeth BAMFORD, laundress
J NICKOLLS
George FARNFIELD
W. MORGAN, plumber
Hugh KNIGHT, builder & contractor
E.C. KNIGHT (Manor house)

1896

Figg’s marsh, from High street

EAST SIDE

…. here is Lock’s lane ….

Mrs LANCEFIELD (The Chestnuts)
Mis H.M. BULLOCK, ladies’ college

…. here is Graham road ….

…. here is Graham avenue ….

James MUNDAY, laundry (Avenue cottage)
William CLARK
Mrs BRYANT
Edgar BAMFORD
James GUNN
Alfred GREENAWAY
Robert KITE, bricklayer
George HUMPHREY (The Limes)
Mrs Emma WARD, laundress (Manor cottage)

WEST SIDE

Charles MATTHEWS, contractor (The Poplars)
1 Poplar cottages, Herbert DODD
2 Poplar cottages, Mrs EDWARDS
1 Thanet cottages, James JEAVES
2 Thanet cottages, Edgar NICOLE
William MORGAN, plumber
Mrs HASLAM
Ernest BAMFORD (Moss house)
3 Manor view, James COLE
5 Manor view, William KILLICK

Harry HICKMAN (Tamworth farm)

1898

Figgs marsh, from London road.

SOUTH SIDE

…. here is Lock’s lane ….

Mrs LANCEFIELD (The Chestnuts)
Mis H.M. BULLOCK, ladies’ college

…. here is Graham road ….

…. here is Graham avenue ….

James MUNDAY, laundry (Avenue cottage)
William CLARK
Mrs Bryant
Edgar BAMFORD
Frederick CRESSWELL
Alfred GREENAWAY
Robert KITE, bricklayer
George HUMPHREY (The Limes)
Mrs Emma WARD, laundress (Manor cottage)

1904

Figg’s marsh, from London Road

SOUTH SIDE

…. here is Lock’s lane ….

The Mitcham Steam Laundry Co. Lim. (Elnathan)
Wallace James CULLIMORE (Elnathan)

…. here is Graham road ….

…. here is Graham avenue ….

1911

Figg’s marsh, from London Road

SOUTH SIDE

…. here is Lock’s lane ….

Percy M. STRATTON (The Chestnuts)

…. here is Graham road ….

…. here is Graham avenue ….

1912

Figg’s marsh, from London road.

SOUTH SIDE

…. here is Lock’s lane ….

James PAIN & Sons, fireworks manufacturers
Arthur GIBBONS (The Chestnuts)

…. here is Graham road ….

…. here is Graham avenue ….

1915

Figg’s marsh, from London road.

SOUTH SIDE

…. here is Lock’s lane ….

James PAIN & Sons, fireworks manufacturers
Alfred MOUTRIE (The Chestnuts)

…. here is Graham road ….

…. here is Graham avenue ….

Corporal William Henry Harding, D.C.M.

William Henry Harding was born on 5th November 1892 and was baptised on the 1st January 1893, at the Mitcham parish church in Church Road. His parents were William Henry and Phoebe Harding, living in Fountain Road.

The 1901 census shows their address as 43 Fountain Road, and the occupants were:

William H Harding, Head, aged 33, born 1868, flower seller
Pheoby Harding, Wife, aged 27, born 1874, flower seller
William H Harding, Son, aged 8, born 1893
Leonard Harding, Son, aged 9, born 1892

He joined the Army on 22nd October 1908, becoming a private in the 1st East Surreys, 3rd Battalion (Special Reserve). His service number was L/9806. He had said he was 18 years old, but was nearer 16. The Surrey Recruitment Registers show that physically he was 5 ft 3 and three-quarter inches tall, weighed 9 stone, and had grey eyes and brown hair.

He was stationed in Dublin, Ireland, when WW1 started.

Corporal W.H. Harding was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for his outstanding bravery. He went into noman’s land and rescued his officer, 2nd Lt. Wilfrid Allen Davis. Cpl W.H. Harding was wounded but although he got him back, Lt. Davis subsequently died.

The entry in the London Gazette reads:

For conspicuous gallantry on “Hill 60,” when he beat off the enemy’s assault by throwing hand grenades, freely exposing himself though the trench was being heavily bombed.

Lt-Gen Sir John Roberts presented the medals.

Cpl W.H. Harding was also awarded the British War Medal, 1914 Star and Victory Medal.

He was discharged 22nd August 1917.

He died in 1954, aged 61.

Sources

Ancestry.com. Surrey, England, Church of England Baptisms, 1813-1912
Ancestry.com. British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920
Surrey Recruitment Registers 1908-1933
London Gazette, Publication date: 29 June 1915 Supplement:29212 Page:6379