Tag Archives: 1939

1939 : Rateable value of Off-Licences

From Mitcham Borough Council Minutes, vilome 5, 1938-39, page 642

Off
Licence
Address Present RV Proposed
RV
Coronation Stores Greyhound Terrace £80 £94
Gladstone House Western Road £48 £59
1-3 Byegrove Road £38 £56
61 Church Road £36 £44
98 Church Road £72 £80
370 Grove Road £67 £76
30 High Street SW19 £60 £69
250 London Road £105 £117
325-7 London Road £80 £92
221 Streatham Road £118 £134
229 Streatham Road £31 £48

Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Borough Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

1939 : Rateable value of pubs

From Mitcham Borough Council Minutes, vilome 5, 1938-39, page 641

Pub Address Present RV Proposed
RV
Albion Church Road £147 £238
Bath Tavern Belgrave Road £68 £120
Beehive Commonside East £62 £109
Buck’s Head London Road £152 £297
Bull Church Road £103 £180
Cricketers London Road £129 £197
Crown London Road £165 £305
Fountain Western Road £48 £144
Gardeners Arms London Road £140 £447
Goat Inn Carshalton Road £125 £222
Gorringe Park Hotel London Road £260 £663
Horse and Groom Tamworth Lane £172 £330
King’s Arms London Road £162 £280
Kings Head London Road £162 £288
Old Nag’s Head Upper Green West £172 £251
Prince of Wales Western Road £113 £267
Queen’s Head Lower Green £80 £184
Ravensbury Arms Croydon Road £80 £155
Ravensbury Tavern Morden Road £44 £330
Red Lion High Street SW19 £463 £663
Royal Six Bells High Street SW19 £130 £205
Royal Standard High Street SW19 £83 £163
Star Church Road £87 £217
Surrey Arms Morden Road £188 £313
Swan London Road £190 £388
Three Kings Commonside East £168 £290
Victory High Street SW19 £216 £301
White Hart London Road £205 £330
Windmill Commonside East £48 £101

Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Borough Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

1939 : All Women Cricket Match

From the Croydon Advertiser and East Surrey Reporter – Friday 28 July 1939 via the British Newspaper Archives, which requires a subscription.

WOMEN CRICKETERS ON MITCHAM GREEN

An all-women cricket match was played on Mitcham Green, on Wednesday, for the benefit of the Mitcham Cricket Club funds. The teams were Surrey v. Herts, and District. Surrey won the game easily. Their innings was notable for a fine batting display bv Miss Molly Hide, who retired after scoring 54 runs. Miss W. Lambert was the second highest scorer, with 27. Miss M. MacLagan, the captain, contributed ten in a total of 137. Herts, scored 57.

The early part of the day was gloomy and comparatively few spectators were present. In the evening about two thousand people ringed the green. They were generous with their applause of the performances and they thoroughly enjoyed the game, which was played in first-class style and in the best sporting spirit.

Lunch was eaten at the White Hart Hotel, where the visitors were welcomed by Mr. Jack Pillinger on behalf of Mitcham Cricket Club, Mr Charles Sanders and Mrs. Sciaretta were other members of the club present. A spray of Mitcham lavender, the gift of Mr. Tom Francis, and a copy of the Mitcham Club handbook were presented to each player. The umpires were Mrs. Tabor and Mr. H. Thompson. An excellent pitch, a bit sticky at the beginning of the game, was prepared by Groundsman Tom Sturtivant.

Byards Croft

Road with houses built around 1939 as part of the Streatham Vale Estate by New Ideal Homesteads Ltd. The name was decided by Mitcham Borough Council, as shown in its minutes on page 539, volume 5.

The postcode for this road is SW16 5EY according to the Royal Mail. Houses are numbered even, from 2 to 48 on the west side, and odd from 1 to 51 on the east side. There is no number 50.

When built, this area known as Streatham Vale was part of Mitcham, and currently is included in the London Borough of Merton.

1951 OS map


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Borough Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Oxtoby Way

Road with houses built around 1939 as part of the Streatham Vale Estate by New Ideal Homesteads Ltd. The name was decided by Mitcham Borough Council, as shown in its minutes on page 539, volume 5.

The postcode for this road is SW16 5HD according to the Royal Mail. The houses are numbered odd from 1 to 51 on the northern/western side of the road, and even from 2 to 48 on the east side. There is no number 50.

When built, this area known as Streatham Vale was part of Mitcham, and currently is included in the London Borough of Merton.

1951 OS map


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Borough Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Shore Street

No longer exists. It was a cul-de-sac off the south side of Phipps Bridge Road (the part of which is now Liberty Avenue), and west of Willow View.

1952 OS map

From the Mitcham News & Mercury, 2nd February, 1968:

HOMES MUST GO – MINISTER
Shore Street residents lose fight against demolition
Colliers Wood redevelopment plan confirmed

A GROUP of Colliers Wood residents have lost their fight to prevent their homes being
demolished in a housing redevelopment scheme.

The Ministry of Housing this week approval Merton Council’s controversial compulsory purchase order for 34 properties in the Shore Street area.

But some of the residents have gained a partial victory, for while their homes will still be demolished, they are not now considered unfit for human habitation.

Nine properties have been transferred from this category and their owners will get compensation at the higher market value instead of site value.\

‘The best solution’

And another 12 owners are to receive good maintenance payments for keeping properties, confirmed as unfit, in good condition.

At a public inquiry in October, the council claimed all but one of the houses were unfit and sought approval to remodel the whole area.

Residents claimed many of the properties were quite habitable and others could easily be improved. Demolition, they said, would not be the answer.

But the Minister has accepted his inspector’s recommendations that the demolition of all the buildings is the best solution, and has confirmed the order.

Town Clerk, Mr Sydney Astin, said this week : “In accordance with the Minister’s instructions, market value and good maintenance payments will be made, where applicable.”

The houses were described by the Medical Officer in an inspection in January, 1939:

January 28, 1939

To the Chairman and members of the Public Health Committee,
Ladies and Gentlemen,

SHORE STREET

As requested by the Committee I have made a detailed inspection of the houses on Shore Street.

There are fourteen houses, eight (1-8) situated on one side of the road and six (9-14) on the opposite side. The houses are between sixty and seventy years old. All the houses are of fairly sound construction and the outside walls have been built with a hard brick. The roofs are made of slate and are fairly sound.

The rents vary from 9s. to 10s. per week.

The front room of each house opens directly on to the pavement. There is no bad arrangement of the street, and each house has plenty of air space both front and back.

As far as the inernal arrangement is concerned there is on the ground floor a front living room, with a scullery behind, and on the first floor, a front and back bedroom. The height of the rooms varies from 7 ft. 9 ins. to 7 ft. 11 ins. In some cases the floor of the front room ground floor is of concrete, in others it is wood. The staircase in all the houses is extremely dark.

Although the houses are old they are not unfit for human habitation, and the defects which found can be remedied at a reasonable cost.

As far as I have been able to ascertain there has been only one recent occasion in which the street was flooded, and this was due to the gulleys being blocked by rubbish. In heavy storms the rain beats in under the doors of some of the houses and causes the floors to become very damp. This state of affairs could probably be remedied by raising the height of the door steps and attention to the fit of the doors. Some of the houses have back additions which make the scullery very dark, and cause a certain amount of dampness.

Two of the houses are overcrowded, and two showed the presence of vermin infestation.

The owner has always complied with any sanitary notices that have been served.

A. T. Till
Medical Officer of Health

SCHEDULE OF DEFECTS
By house number

1. Three adults, seven children. Small fractures in brick work of back wall. Slight dampness round chimney breast in back bedroom.

2. Two adults, two children. Flooring of front room ground floor requires repairing. Cracked chimney pot on front chimney stack.

3. Two adults. Rainwater pipe front of house leaking. Small repair required to pointing of brickwork of front wall.

4. Two adults, three children. Slight ground dampness in living room. Small repair required to pointing of brickwork of front wall.

5. Two adults, two children. Joint forming the interspace between the window frame and brickwork of living room defective.

6. Four adults. Flooring by door defective. Rainwater gutter and pipe at rear defective. Stone window sill of back bedroom defective. Dampness around chimney breast in back bedroom.

7. Two adults, two children. Flooring week in living room.

8. Two adults. Dampness in corner of front bedroom by parapet wall.

9. Two adults, one child. Good condition.

10. Three adults. Dampness around chimney breast back room first floor.

11. Two adults, five children over 10 years of age. Good condition.

12. One adult. Joints forming interspace between window frame and brickwork living room defective. Defective stair tread. Countless round chimney breast in back bedroom. Slight dampness above matchboarding in front room ground floor.

13. Two adults. Week flooring of front room ground floor. Stone window sill back bedroom first floor. Woodwork of windows back bedroom first floor defective.

14. Four adults. Week flooring front room ground floor. Flooring defective by cover. Rainwater gutter and pipe at rear defective. Stone window sill of back bedroom defective. Woodwork of back bedroom window defective. Dampness around chimney breast of back bedroom.

Source: Minutes of the Mitcham Borough Council, volume 5, pages 315-6.

Occupants in 1925 street directory

North Side
1 Alfred BULL
2 Gilroy M HARRINGTON
3 Charles Jesse COLES
4 Thomas ROSUM
5 Geogre NOVELL
6 James SEAGRAVE
7 Walter READ
8 Frederick John PAYNE

South Side
14 George CODD
13 Ernest Garrat REEKS
12 Mrs F PROCTOR
11 Arthur Cecil POULTON
10 Harry WARNER
9 Mrs SINEY

clip from Merton Memories photo, copyright London Borough of Merton


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Borough Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Florogen Ltd.

Listed in the 1938 commercial directory as perfume manufacturers, at 132 Western Road, Mitcham. Telephone numbers 2027 and 2028.

A fire at Florogen Works, Western Road, on 30th May 1933 was mentioned in the Fire Brigade minutes on 13th June.

ad from Norwood News – Friday 17 March 1939
Image © Trinity Mirror. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. via the British Newspaper Archives

From the Norwood News – Friday 1st September 1961:

FLOROGEN LTD.,

have vacancies for female staff in their factory for the packaging of perfumes and toilet preparations.

Hours 8 a.m.- 6 p.m. or part-time, 2 p.m – 6 p.m.

Apply 132 Western-rd., Mitcham.

Not listed in the 1963 List of Factories, so it may have gone out of business by then, or moved.