Tag Archives: St Marks Road

Tribute to Kenny Holder

Kenny Holder was born on 28th January 1939 in Battersea. He died on 6th January 2021.

Photo from the Tooting & Mitcham United FC 1966-1967 handbook

His pre-school years were spent during the difficult time of WW2 but by the 1950s Kenny’s parents had moved to St Mark’s Road in Mitcham.

The young Kenny soon showed his promise as a footballer and joined the Elderwood Boys Club, which was a junior club that fed into Tooting & Mitcham United.

The 3rd May 1956 saw Kenny playing at Sandy Lane for Elderwood against Ditton Old Boys in the North Surrey Minor League Cup Final.

The following year, with Kenny now 18 years old, he was back at Sandy Lane with Elderwood, this time for the final of the Surrey County Youth Cup against Westfield Boys on 11th May 1957.

Programme dated 11th May 1957

Although now 18 Kenny did not make his Tooting First Team debut until 1960 due to having to serve compulsory National Service for two years.

Once in Tooting’s first eleven Kenny played around 500 times scoring an impressive fifty odd goals in the process.

He only missed two games during the 1960-1961 season, after his first outing, but was ever present for the next two.

After missing very few games over the next couple of campaigns Kenny was ever present again for the 1965-1966 season. To be ever present in a total of three seasons was an incredible feat in itself but the dedicated club servant was not finished and remarkably he was again ever present during seasons 1966-1967 and 1967-1968 as well.

That hat trick of three consecutive unbroken appearances meant Kenny Holder played a total of five full season during the ten that he took part in which is quite incredible.

In the summer of 1970 Kenny was one of the players who signed for Croydon’s new manager, South London bookmaker Jimmy Rose.

Known then as Croydon Amateurs, this was a step up for the manager, who was successfully running his Sunday side, called Jimmy Rose FC.

Kenny is on the right with a few of his Croydon teammates.

However Rose won two promotions with Holder in his team, but when he left to manage Dulwich Hamlet, age was against Kenny following him to Champion Hill.
Now in his mid-thirties, he remained at the Croydon Sports Arena where he eventually retired from senior football after playing a couple of games during the 1973-1974 season.

Kenny still played Sunday football well into his forties and many a player, whether teammate or opponent, have fond memories of the ageing talent running games from midfield, letting the younger players in his team doing all the running.

However it was at Tooting & Mitcham where Kenny played his best football, gaining London FA and Surrey FA caps and representing the Isthmian League. An England Amateur cap eluded Kenny but he was once invited by The FA to train with the squad but he declined due to the session clashing with a Tooting game. The FA unfortunately took this as a snub and Kenny was never invited again.
The Middlesex Wanderers were happy to have Kenny on board and he represented them on 23rd November 1965 when the touring side played Hendon at Claremont Road.

Kenny’s First Team debut came on 5th November 1960 at Leytonstone when he lined up in a star studded team that included Paddy Hasty and Dario Gradi.
The previous week he had played at Oxford City for the reserves in a game that saw Alex Stepney brought into the Second Eleven.

It should also be mentioned that Kenny once took Alex Stepney’s place in the Tooting goal. Alex Stepney went on the play for Manchester United and is still one of their top ten record appearance holders. But during the away game at Kingstonian’s Richmond Road on 24th November 1962 Alex got injured, breaking his wrist. Kenny went in goal and as there were no substitutes in those days, Alex Stepney played the remainder of the match on the wing.

Surrey Invitation Cup Semi-Final on 24th March 1962.

The above photo shows Kenny looking on as Alex Stepney, catches the ball in another away fixture in Kingston. The teammate between them is Gordon Holden who by no stretch of anybody’s imagination looks like Kenny Holder.

Being on National Service with Northern Command in 1959, Kenny decided to throw a sickie in January of that year so he could come home and, along with over 16,000 others, watch Tooting’s FA Cup 3rd Round game with Nottingham Forest.
The game had caught the imagination of the country’s football followers and was filmed by Pathe News.

The Northern Command C/O happened to see the highlights and when he heard the very excitable commentator say the name Holden he then saw left fullback George Edwards and convinced himself that this was Kenny Holder.

The military Police were sent to St Mark’s Road where Kenny was staying with his Mum and Dad and a few red faces must have ensued. Yes, Kenny had thrown a sickie, but to watch the match not to play in it.

St Marks Road

Road that today runs eastwards from London Road, where the Baths used to be, then curves south to the end of Majestic Way and heads east again to Lammas Avenue.

Originally called Killick’s Lane until the St Marks church was built in 1898. It was named after Samuel Killick, a local builder who had his yard there. Amongst the various local buildings, his name is mentioned on the blue plaque at the parish vicarage, which reads:

This building, erected by Samuel Killick in 1826 for the Rev. Richard Cranmer, replaces an earlier vicarage.

The fanlight and the unusual pattern of window glazing bars are interesting features.

1910 OS map

Numbers 1 to 7 on the north side of St Marks Road at the London Road end was known as York Place.

The 1911 street directory shows two lines of houses both called St Mark’s Villas. The first is a terrace of 4 houses to the west of the school, and the second a group of 8 houses as 4 semi-detached houses, numbered from 1 to 8 from the corner with Lansdell Road. Below are the occupants from this directory, as described from London Road towards Eastfields:

NORTH SIDE

1, John K. HARVEY, chemist
2, John Samuel WRIGHT, dining rooms
3, George YORK, undertaker
4, James PRICE, hair dresser
5, William WHITTINGTON, tobacconist
6, W.A.MARTIN, butcher
7, Mrs S. RIMMEL, grocer

STAIR COTTAGES:

1, John TAYLOR
2, William Jesse LUNT
3, Frederick BURTON
4, Albert Edward BLAND
5, William TYLER
6, William LAWRENCE

ST. MARK’S VILLAS:

4, John SUDDS
3, John William GILMORE
2, John William MONKS
1, George WHITTINGHAM

St. Mark’s Sunday School
Walter JORDAN (School house)
Council Schools

ST. MARK’S VILLAS:

8, Frederick WHITE
7, Alfred R. CHEAL
6, Charles Henry J SIVIOUR
5, Noel Austin HARVEY
4, George William LAWRENCE
3, Henry BENNETT
2, Walter BLACKSTONE
1, William MATTHEWS

…. here is Lansdell Road

SOUTH SIDE
RAVENSBURY COTTAGES:
8, Thomas CLARKE
7, Charles TARRANT
6, Henry DRINKWATER
5, Mrs ROBERTS
4, Edward BURTON
3, Mrs E. KILBY

Alfred NASH & Sons, wheelwrights

George Arthur MIZEN
F.L. & A.G. MIZEN, market gardeners
St. Marks Church

A resident of one of the remaining St Marks Villas, Stan, pointed out to me this sign is visible on the garden wall of some of the houses:

part of sign showing no. 2 St. Mark’s Villas

Between Stair’s Cottages and the School House, the 1922 electoral register shows two terraces: South View Cottages and South Place, each with four dwellings. The order shown in the register is repeated here.

SOUTH VIEW COTTAGES
1, John William and Eva Jessie GILMORE
2, Alfred and Bathsheba OLDMEADOW
3, John and Betsy WADDINGTON
4, David and Lily JONES

SOUTH PLACE
4, John JORDAN; John William and Kate HAWKINS
3, William Charles and Kate COLLYER
2, Alfred, Mary and Alfred junior COUSALL
1, Ernest Edward and Elizabeth Lucy JONES

In the 1925 street directory, all the houses have been renumbered.

Stairs Cottages from 6 to 1 were renumbered 15 to 25 St Marks Road.

South View Cottages 1 to 4 were renumbered 29 to 35 St Marks Road, see 1925 directory below, and South Place from 4 to 1 were renumbered 37 to 43.

The School House became number 47, occupied by Frederick, Alice and Frederick Henry NEWSOM.

Houses named Doniford became number 59 and Astroea became 61.

NORTH SIDE
Fair green:

1, John K. HARVEY M.P.S., chemist
3, William SCRATCHLEY, dining rooms
5, George YORK, undertaker
7, H. TEDDER, hair dresser
9, William WHITTINGTON, tobacconist
11, A. BACON, hosier
13, S. & E. RIMMEL, grocers
15, Edward Charles STEVENS
17, William MERSH, boot repairer
19, Mrs BURTON
21, Frederick WELLER
23, William WELLER; Miss WELLER, pianoforte teacher
23 (back of) Thomas WELLER, cartage contractor
25, Herbert Fras. Joe SMITH
29, John William GILMORE
31, Alfred OLDMEADOW
33, John WADDINGTON
35, David JONES
37, John William HAWKINS
39, William Charles COLLYER
41, COUSALL & Sons, coal merchants
43, Alfred COUSALL

St Mark’s Parish Room
Upper Mitcham Girls’ School (Surrey Education Committee)

47, Frederick NEWSOM, school keeper
49, Rd. TOWNSEND, coal merchant
49, CARBONIUS Co. compresses carbon manufacturers

59, Henry William AYRES
61, Herbert CORNELL
63, (Sunbury) James LAW
65, (Tolworth) Miss SHEPHERD
67, (Belmont) Frederick SAWYERS
69, (Ardley) Mrs SELLAR
71, (Tongham) A. WARE
73, (Colyton) Alfred CRAIG
75, (Abinger) F. LITTLE
77, (Bramley) John WHALEBONE

83, Frederick WHITE
85, Alfred Robert CHEAL
87, W.L. WHITELEY
89, Mrs A.M. BENNETT
91, Robert J. WELCH
93, Harry BENNETT, insurance agent
95, Walter BLACKSTONE
97, William MATTHEWS

SOUTH SIDE

St. Mark’s Church

…. here is Baker’s Lane

(Maycroft) James Ernest PELLING
(Granville) William W. ORVES
(Kenwood) Charles EVELYN
(Glan-y-Mor) George MARRIN
34, William Henry BEWEN
32, (Homestead) Robert WILSON
30, HUDSON & BLAKE, automobile engineers
28, Oliver BROWN Ltd., varnish manufacturers
26, (Home Close) Charles LACK
24, Edgar HUME
22, Alfred REES
20, Mrs F. BENNETT
16, James DREWETT
14, Mrs MILLS
12, Miss RUFF
10, Edward BURTON
8, Stephen TAYLOR; Henry DRINKWATER
4, Mrs TARRANT
2, Thomas CLARK

St Mark’s Villas, numbers 83 to 97. Photo taken Sunday 19th April 2020.

Entrance to Bedfont Close from St Marks Road. On the left, the house name Bramley is shown by the front door of no. 77. Photo taken Sunday 19th April 2020.

Numbers 59 to 77 st Marks Road, from the corner with Armfield Crescent on the left to Bedfont Close on the right (out of shot). Photo taken Sunday 19th April 2020.

Note that at no. 13, S. & E. RIMMEL, grocers, was also listed in the 1911 directory at the same address (when it was no.7) and Sarah E. Rimmel, grocers, was listed in the 1938 commercial directory.

Charles LACK was the son of Hannah LACK who ran the drapers at 4 High Street, Mitcham. With his wife Emily he ran the drapers at no. 2 next door. (From a descendant who made a comment about this on the Facebook Mitcham History group.)

The St Mark’s Parish Room was originally a ‘School Church’ whose appointed mission clergyman in 1891 was the Reverend F.J. LANSDELL whose name is the origin of Lansdell Road.

This OS map from 1952 shows the houses numbered as in the 1925 directory:

1952 OS map

Note that no.s 1 to 43 and the St Marks Parish Room have now gone and is where the pedestrian Majestic Way is today, and that no.s 27 to 35 were set back from the road, this is where the Morrison supermarket is now, and between the supermarket and the school is where St Marks Road today diverts north and west through where the Mitcham Baths was.

Between the school and no. 59 is where Armfield Crescent is today, and between 77 and 83 is now Bedfont Close.

On the south side, the paint works at 28 have gone, and that is where Chalkley Close is today. Number 26 is owned by the Royal British Legion and hosts the Poppy Club. Number 30 is still there.


Adverts

undated ad for GM Paynter at 13 St Marks Road


WW1 Connections
Colenso Harry BURTON, son of Frederick and Elizabeth Burton, 3 Stair’s Cottages, St Marks Road. On the south side of the Mitcham War Memorial as BURTON, HC.

Gordon Arthur SELLAR, husband of Ada Sellar, “Ardley”, St Marks Road. This houses was renumbered to 69 as shown in the 1925 street directory above. His name is on the west side of the Mitcham War Memorial.

WW2 Civilian Casualties

18th September 1940
William Albert TOMSETT, aged 55, at 56 St Marks Road

25th October 1940
Mary PAIGE, aged 18 and Peter Victor PAIGE, aged 5 weeks, both at 25 St Marks Road


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.