Tag Archives: 1904

Bridge Road

Road that was off east, or right-hand, side of Christchurch Road, opposite Runnymede. It was closed in 1966.

In this 1952 OS map, the road is shown with a single terrace of eleven houses on the north side, numbered sequentially 1 to 11.

1952 OS map

1952 OS map

Aerial photo from 1947 shows the row of houses on the left side of the road.

29th April 1947 from Britain From Above

29th April 1947 from Britain From Above

Aerial photo from 1949 shows the road looking to the west. The dome atop the tower on the right was Frys Metals factory.

19th March 1949 from Britain From Above

19th March 1949 from Britain From Above

It is not mentioned in the 1891 street directory, but there are two houses listed in the 1896 street directory and all eleven in the 1904 street directory:

1896

1, James CAVENDER, stationer
2, John STOPHER, greengrocer

1904

1, James CAVENDER, stationer
2, Arthur Thomas THORNS, greengrocer
3, Auburn Frederick ISACKE
4, Austin C HOLLANDS
5, William SHARPE
6, Arthur Albert FRISBY
7, Charles TAYLOR
8, Arthur SWINDELL
9, Robert SWINDELL
10, Edwin YOUNG
11, William YOUNG

The road was closed in 1966:

Bridge Road is to be closed down

Bridge Road, a cul-de-sac off Christchurch Road, Mitcham is to be closed. Merton Council have given planning permission to Frys Metal Foundries Ltd., for redevelopment which involves the closing of the road.

The road was originally the principle means of access to residential properties which have since been demolished. It now serves the factory premises only.

RIGHTS OF ACCESS

The council agreed to give permission provided the council’s right of adequate access to the public sewers were preserved.

Also provided that the owner of the factory should take over the responsibility for the street lamps and cables in the road, and also bear any costs incurred in closing the road.

Frys have also offered land near Bridge Road to the council free of charge for the proposed widening of Christchurch Road. The offer has been accepted.

Source: Mitcham News & Mercury, 13th May, 1966, page 1.

Occupants in 1939

1, Leonard Douglas and Elizabeth HAYNES
2, Mary Jane and Rosa FISK
3, William Charles and Alice Louisa and Christopher ADAMS
4, James and Maude BURLING
5, Robert and Gertrude MARSHALL
6, Alfred and Mabel Frances FORD
7, Robert and Doris May TAYLOR; Edith Mahala FRISWELL
8, James Alfred and Sarah Ellen DURLING
9, Henry William and Rose Florence and Florance DALTON
10, Ernest John and Flora BURLING
11, Charles Walter and Susan FRANCIS


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Benedict Terrace, Belgrave Walk

Benedict Terrace was a row of six houses in Belgrave Walk when it ran from Phipps Bridge Road to Century Road. This part of Belgrave Walk is now Illingworth Close.

Image courtesy of Collage - The London Picture Library - http://collage.cityoflondon.gov.uk


1977 Image courtesy of Collage – The London Picture Library – http://collage.cityoflondon.gov.uk

Occupants in the 1904 street directory

1,William S CRESSWELL
2,Charles PEARCEY
3,Reuben POWELL
4,Stephen NICHOLAS
5,Mrs KENNING
6,William SMALL

World War 1 Connections
Able Seaman Walter Boughen


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Crusoe Road

Road named possibly after the Robinson Crusoe story. Crusoe Dairy Farm was named by its owner on the possible residence of nearby Tooting Hall by Daniel Defoe, author of Robinson Crusoe.

1911 OS map

1911 OS map

Builder Taylor & Kensett had building plans approved in 1903 for 12 houses, and in 1904 for 16 houses.

G. F. Hedges had building plans approved in 1904 for 13 villas.

In 1921 number 52 was damaged by fire. Minutes of the Urban District Council show that the tenant was Mr F. HAWTHORN, and the landlord was Osmasten Ltd of Barnes.

World War 1 Connections
Sapper William Charles Crisp

Private Ernest Frank Hogg

Driver Horace Walter Hogg

Private George Francis Quin

Gunner Horace Concannon Richardson

Saddler Harry Stanley Wright


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Hancock, Corfield and Waller

Imperial Works
Morden Road

Litho Printing on Steel and Metal Sheet Processing

Source:
Borough of Mitcham List of Factories,
Town Clerk’s Department,
July 1963.
Available at Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.
Reference L2 (670) MIT


From the ‘brewery trays’ website (link not working 27/12/2018):

WWI ‘The Great War Years’ 1914 – 1918
 
In 1914 business was interrupted by the outbreak of World War I. Much of HCW Ltd’s continued success during this period was not due to tray manufacturing. Metal printing was put on hold and for the next four years the Imperial Works produced millions of items for the British Forces. One of the biggest successes, and HCW Ltd’s speciality, was water-bottles which were pressed on the machines which had previously produced showcards and waiter trays. These same bottles were then covered in khaki by the factory’s considerable female labour force who became disrespectfully known as “the sewing party”.

Current company contact
21 High Street
Ewell Village
Surrey. KT17 1SB

Tel: 0208 394 2785


From Grace’s Guide to British Industrial History – 1914 Who’s Who in Business

HANCOCK & CORFIELD, Ltd., ColourPrinters (Posters, Showcards, &c.). Imperial Works, Mitcham, near London.
Hours of Business: 8 a.m. to 6.30 p.m.
Established twenty-three years ago to take over the patent rights from the Embossed Metal Tablet Co., Gray’s Inn Road, E.C., for Printing and Embossing Metal for advertising purposes, and in 1904 acquired the business of Messrs. Waller, Willis & Co., Colour Printers.
Incorporated as a Private Limited Company.
Directors: John Corfield (Managing Director), Reginald Corfield, William Henry Waller.
Premises: Large Factory with floorage covering about three acres at the Imperial Works, Morden Road, Mitcham.
Staff: 300.
Branches: Glasgow, Birmingham, Belfast, Manchester, Den Haag, Holland, and Australia.
Specialities: Artistic Colour Printing on Metal, Aluminium and Paper, Steel, Iron, Tin, Zinc, &c. Are Manufacturers of Embossed Iron Advertisement Tablets, General Printing and Lithography. Are well known for the excellence of their work, and for the introduction of novelties in designs. Specialize in all Advertising Novelties.
Connection: World-wide. Contractors to H.M. Government (Admiralty, War Office, Post Office).
Telephones: Nos. 1202 and 1203 Wimbledon.
Telegraphic Address: ” Corfield, Mitcham.”


From the Imperial war Museum online collection:

Watney's
Watney’s© IWM (Art.IWM PST 4651)

Dunlop Cycle Tyres
Dunlop Cycle Tyres© IWM (Art.IWM PST 13686)

Westfield Road

Westfield Road is off the west side of Love Lane, near to its Western Road end. It runs from Love Lane in a line parallel to Western Road. At the end of the road is a footpath that connects to the Field Gate Lane footpath, which runs along the side of the Gas Works site.

The road has a total of 24 houses, which were built in three separate periods.

As seen from Love Lane, there eleven houses on the right, which are from around 1890. A block of six houses on the left, were built in 1934 when Pear Tree Close was built. In around 1986/7, the road was extended to the right at its western end to run parallel with Field Gate Lane, and a block of seven 2-bed, 3-storey, town houses, with integral garages, were built. They are numbered 40 to 46 sequentially and have the postcode CR4 3AL, whereas the earlier houses numbered from 1 to 17 all have the postcode CR4 3AT.

This 1910 OS map shows a terrace of 11 houses, on the north side of the road.

1910 OS map

Occupants in the 1904 street directory
From Love Lane, these houses are on the right hand side:

1,Thomas REMINGTON
2,Edward John BAKER
3,Albert SIVIOUR
4,William Edmund CLAYTON
5,Joseph WHITE
6,John Henry BRAVERY
7,Edwin W HARRIS
8,John JEEVES
9,Edward GREEN
10,William George FULLER
11,John BROWN (hay dealer)

Occupants in the 1896 street directory

1,Mrs REMINGTON
2,Alfred LEONARD
3,Albert SIVIOUR
4,William Edmund CLAYTON
5,Mrs UPSON
6,John Henry BRAVERY
7,William Joseph BAMFORD
8,William Hy NIGHTINGALE
9,Edward GREEN
10,William Henry RHODES
11,William SUDDS

The road isn’t shown in the 1891 directory, and this OS map of 1894 shows the terrace of houses, but the road isn’t named.

1894 OS map

The OS map of 1866 does not show the houses.

The 1951 OS map shows the addition of houses on the left hand, or southern side of the road. These were numbered from 12 to 17 sequentially.

1951 OS map


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.