A video explaining the connection between the Robinson Crusoe tale, and Captain Cook, with names of some roads in north Mitcham.
Waterloo Place was a row of 3 houses on the west side of London Road, near to where Dennis Reeve Close is now.
The 1912 street directory lists the properties from north to south:
Here is Crusoe Road …
Thomas TAYLOR (Carlingford)
F. & G. MIZEN, market gardeners
Mrs Ruth PARRISH, tobacconist
6, Mrs KILLICK
5, Henry HISTED
4, James GARDNER
3, Edward TANNER
2, William J MEECH, confectioner
1, Mrs George TAYLOR, poultry dealer
1, Figg’s Marsh hand laundry
2, William HARRISON
3, William LAMB
Ellis JEEVES, carman (2 Thanet cottages)
David GODDARD (2 Poplar cottages)
Herbert DODD, carpenter (1 Poplar cottages)
Edward FULLER, florist (The Poplars)
The OS map of 1911 shows a single house on the south side of Crusoe Road at the corner of London Road, and this may have been Carlingford. Then there are no buildings until Tamworth Farm, in occupation by F & G Mizen. Then there are two separate buildings, presumed to be John Elmer and Mrs Ruth Parrish.
Then there are 3 pairs of houses, and this is assumed to be Manor View, which are numbered 6 down to 1. South of this is a row of 3 houses, and this is assumed to be Waterloo Place.