Crusoe Road and Crusoe Farm, Swains Road
Cork Grinding and Joinery
60 Pitcairn Road
Borough of Mitcham List of Factories,
Town Clerk’s Department,
Available at Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.
Reference L2 (670) MIT
Road named possibly after the Robinson Crusoe story. Crusoe Dairy Farm was named by its owner on the possible residence of nearby Tooting Hall by Daniel Defoe, author of Robinson Crusoe.
1911 OS map
Builder Taylor & Kensett had building plans approved in 1903 for 12 houses, and in 1904 for 16 houses.
G. F. Hedges had building plans approved in 1904 for 13 villas.
In 1921 number 52 was damaged by fire. Minutes of the Urban District Council show that the tenant was Mr F. HAWTHORN, and the landlord was Osmasten Ltd of Barnes.
World War 1 Connections
Sapper William Charles Crisp
Private Ernest Frank Hogg
Driver Horace Walter Hogg
Private George Francis Quin
Gunner Horace Concannon Richardson
Saddler Harry Stanley Wright
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.