George V came to the throne on 6th May 1910, and his coronation was the following year, on 22nd June 1911. Below are clips from the local newspapers of celebrating 25 years on the throne in 1935.
From the Mitcham News & Mercury
19th May 1935
Sports and athletic grounds that were owned by King’s College, London, between 1920 and the late 1980s. The grounds were bounded by Western Road, Lavender avenue and Steers Mead.
According to Eric Montague’s Mitcham Histories : 14 Upper Mitcham and Western Road Appendix IV
The former Hay Furlongs fields where bought in 1920 when King’s College, London, raised £6,000 for the purchase and a further £2,200 for the laying out and equipping of an Athletic Ground as a War Memorial to College members who fell in the Great War.
Development for housing along the Western Road in the late 1980s reduced the size of this open space, and what remains today is called Lavender Park, and includes the pavilion near the corner of Steers Mead and Lavender Avenue. It was officially reopened by Merton Council in April 1991.
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.