Tag Archives: 1886

Sydney Gedge

1886

1886


From the British Newspaper Archives (subscription required)
The Graphic – Saturday 24 July 1886

MR. SYDNEY GEDGE, of Mitcham Hall, Surrey, is the eldest son of the late Rev. Sydney Gedge. He was born in 1829, and educated at King Edward’s School, Birmingham, and at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, where he took a ” first ” in the Moral Science Tripos. In 1865 he was admitted a solicitor, and in 1871 was elected Solicitor to the London School Board. Mr. Gedge married, in 1857, Augusta, daughter of Robert Herring, Esq., of Cromer.


65 Years Cyclist.

Up to a few years ago, Mr. Sydney Gedge, of Mitcham Hall, who was ninety-one the other day, was wont to ride a tricycle daily through the busiest streets of London. He has cycled for sixty-five years. Can anyone beat his record?

Source: Leeds Mercury – Wednesday 20 October 1920 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)

From Mitcham and Tooting Advertiser
4th February 1954

Their names will not be forgotten

The late Mr. Sydney Gedge, of Mitcham Hall, a one-time Member of Parliament and constructor of Mitcham Park, is remembered in Gedge Court on the Baron House Estate opposite his old home.


Merton Memories Photos

On a tricycle at Mitcham Hall
1929 Mitcham Park


Bishopsford

House that stood in Poulter Park, east of Bishopsford Road. Described in an auction ad from 1886 as having been built in 1866. An auction ad of 1917 refers to it as being in Mitcham.

It was sold in 1928 according to this article in the 28th April 1928 edition of The Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News:

THE NATIONAL PLAYING FIELDS ASSOCIATION.

— The R.C. Poulter Open Spaces Trust has purchased, at a cost of £5,000. the property known as Bishopsford, Carshalton, Surrey, and presented it, through the National Playing Fields Association, to the Carshalton Urban District Council.

Converted to flats in 2005/2006.

2016 aerial view of Bishopsford converted to flats

2016 aerial view of Bishopsford converted to flats

Surrey.

— By order of the executors of the late Alfred Attwood, Esq. — The very attractive Freehold Residential Properties, known as Bishopsford and Hillfield, situate in the parishes Carshalton and Morden, about mile from Mitcham Junction Station (whence there is an exceptionally good service fast trains the City and West End), ten miles by road to the Royal Exchange and nine and half from Whitehall.

Messrs. Debenham, Tewson, Farmer, and Bridgewater Have received instructions to Sell by Auction, at the Mart, E.C., on Tuesday, June 22nd at Two, in two lots, THE above-mentioned VALUABLE FREEHOLD PROPERTIES:-

BISHOPSFORD, the residence of the late Alfred Attwood, Esq., comprises capital modern Family House, erected about years since from the designs of a well-known architect, occupying an elevated site, with long carriage-drive approach, and surrounded by charming lawns and pleasure grounds and welltimbered ornamental paddocks, with outbuildings, glasshouses, good kitchen garden, fruit plantation, and pretty piece of woodland, together about 35 acres. The residence contains on the upper floor two large bedrooms for servants, and space in the roof for two or three more rooms on the first floor six capital bed rooms (all of good dimensions), two dressing rooms, fitted bath-room, and water closet; on the ground floor extensive lofty dining and drawing room, each about 30-ft. (including large bay window) by 17-ft. 6-in.; study, and convenient offices, with dairy and cellars in the basement. The property is partly bounded the river Wandle, which is a very pleasing feature, and has long frontage to the main road, upon which one more superior residences could (without detriment) be built. Possession will be given on completion of the purchase.

HILLFIELD adjoins the preceding property, and consists of another excellent modern Family Residence, with stabling outbuildings, attractive grounds, and grass paddock, in all about four acres. Let on lease for 21 years from 1877, at rental of £170 per annum.

Particulars of Messrs. Arkcoll & Cockell. Solicitors, 11 and 42, Street. Southwark, S.E.; or of the Auctioneers, 80, Cheapside, E.C.

Source: Croydon Advertiser and East Surrey Reporter – Saturday 05 June 1886 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)


The Bystander, 9th May, 1917

CLOSE TO FAMOUS PRINCE’S GOLF COURSE.

Ten minutes from station. Easy reach Mitcham Junction.

IMPORTANT FREEHOLD RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY,
“BISHOPSFORD,” MITCHAM, SURREY,
standing well up in rural situation, with fine views.

LONG DRIVE with picturesque lodge. — 12 bed and dressing rooms, baths, 2 staircases, lounge hall, 4 handsome reception rooms.

MAGNIFICENT OAK-PANELLED BILLIARD ROOM
(45ft. by 21ft.).

Stabling, garage, cottage, small farmery, glasshouses. LOVELY GARDENS, orchard, park and woodland in all about 55 ACRES, with long frontage to the River Wandle. ELECTRIC LIGHT. COMPANY’S WATER. TELEPHONE.

To be SOLD by AUCTION, at The Mart, E.C., on TUESDAY, JUNE 5th (unless previously disposed of). Solicitors, Messrs. F. F. and H. LANDON, 53, New Broad Street, E.C.

Full details of Auctioneers, 3, Cockspur Street, S.W.1.

19170905 for sale ad with photo


Photos from 2005 of the rebuilding

17th November 2005

17th November 2005

17th November 2005

17th November 2005

17th November 2005

17th November 2005

17th November 2005

17th November 2005

17th November 2005

17th November 2005

17th November 2005

17th November 2005

17th November 2005

17th November 2005


Newspaper Articles

GARDENER. — Young Man wants Situation, as UNDER GARDENER; understands gas engines; would like to learn electric lighting; age 22; disengaged September 14.— G. Hewitt, Bishopsford, Mitcham.

Source: Sussex Agricultural Express – Saturday 01 September 1906 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)

LOST. A large white BULL TERRIER DOG, nine months old. Supposed to have strayed from his home on Sunday last. Whoever will take the same to the Mitcham Police-station or to Mr. Attwood, Bishopsford, Mitcham, shall receive £1 reward.

Source: Croydon Advertiser and East Surrey Reporter – Saturday 28 June 1879 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)


A 1902 sketch of extension is on Merton Memories.