An ad in the Illustrated London News for Mellins Food:
Road off east side of London Road, next to the telephone exchange. It leads to Langdale Avenue.
Named after Elmwood, an 18th century house, as shown in this 1894 map:
Elmwood Road is presumed to have been built some time after this.
From the minutes of the Croydon Rural District council, Volume XII 1906 to 1907
Highways and New Streets and Buildings, Page 33, application no. 3869 by W.F. Bubb was approved for a house and stable in Elmwood Road
Initially there were 3 villas built on the north side of the road, named
Glenholme, Great Tey and St. Agnes. The occupants from the 1918 census were:
Mary Ann RICHMAN
Selina Louise BUBB
Agnes Clarissa HALE
Arthur George SIMMONS
Lillie Ann SIMMONS
This 1953 map names Glenholme and there are houses numbered even, 8, 6, 4 and 2. Great Tey could be number 8, with St Agnes number 6. The semi-detached houses are 4 and 2.
Glenholme and Great Tey have since been demolished.
Google Streetview from 2009.
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.
Minutes of meetings held by the Croydon Rural District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.