Tag Archives: barber

T.J. Shaw, hairdresser, 239 London Road

Family hairdressers, run by Tom and Lily SHAW, that was at 239 London Road, opposite Raleigh Gardens, from 1952 to 1977.

Percy Mayhew had moved from this address to Monarch Parade in around 1947.

The shop became Toulla’s Hairdressers in 1977/8. In 2016, the shop became occupied by Simply Bright, dentists.

1955 ad

Text of ad:

Hairdressing
for the Family

T. J. SHAW

Ladies’, Gents’ and Children’s
Hairdresser

LATE APPOINTMENTS WHEN NECESSARY
HOMES VISITED IN CASES OF SICKNESS

A fully qualified staff just waiting to give
you satisfaction

239 LONDON ROAD, MITCHAM
Telephone: MITcham 1384

69 Monarch Parade

On the left, no. 70, and on the right, no. 69 Monarch Parade. Photo taken after 69 has closed and was being refurbished.

It had been known as Palmers barbers from possibly the 1970s. In the 1971 phone book, C.F. Tucker is listed as gents hairdressers, telephone 01-648 6031.

clip from 1987 photo on Merton Memories, reference Mit_​8_​1-15 copyright London Borough of Merton

It was a barber shop up to May 2018, when the lease was terminated by Goldplaza (Mitcham) Ltd.

Notice of Forfeiture

Reopened August 2018 as a Nigerian restaurant.

Monarch Parade

Built in 1937-8 by F. and M. Real Estates Ltd. who gave it the name Monarch Parade, which was accepted by Mitcham Borough Council on 9th September 1937. Presumably named ‘Monarch’ as George VI was crowned in 1937.

Photo taken sometime in 1980, not long after the exterior walls had been rendered.

view from multi storey car park in St Marks Road, photo taken 12th September 2017

A Tuck postcard first issued in 1950

A Tuck postcard first issued in 1950

1952 OS map

1952 OS map

Photos from Merton Memories

1987

Shops

No. 38 Mitcham Model Laundry
No. 69 The Barber Shop.
72 Percy Mayhew
73 Davant Ltd
76 Express Dairy


Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Borough Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.