Tag Archives: Elm Cottage

Bolstead Road

Road off north side of Grove Road and Lonesome school leading to Oakleigh Way. It was named in 1927 by the council:

From the minutes of the Mitcham Urban District Council
Highways and Buildings Committee
Tuesday, 6th December, 1927
Page 528

10. Naming of Roads – It was Resolved, that an order be made under Section 18 of the Public Health Act, 1925, assigning the following names to streets in the district:-

Bolstead Road and Bolstead Lane, for those parts of Grove Road leading past to Lewis and Elm Cottages.

1911 OS map

1911 OS map

1952 OS Map

1952 OS Map


Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Urban District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

1902 Defective Drainage

From the minutes of the Croydon Rural District Council
Volume 8
1902 to 1903
Mitcham Parochial
29th April 1902
page 67

11. DEFECTIVE DRAINAGE.

—Inspector Rabbetts submitted the following reports upon the defective drainage of certain .premises in the parish of Mitcham :-

18, BELGRAVE ROAD.—That he had found a vent pipe at these premises not connected to the drain, and that several of the pipes were broken. The owner, on being communicated with, had done something, but had covered up the work without giving him an opportunity of inspecting. He, however, proposed making a further test.

“ASSANDUNE,” “IVY COTTAGE,” AND “ELM COTTAGE.” —That, in accordance with the authority given him, he had entered upon the above premises, and found the drains at ” Assandune” and “Elm Cottage” to be defective. The drainage of “Ivy Cottage ” appeared to be tolerably good.

Resolved, That Mr. Rabbetts, Inspector of Nuisances, be authorised to serve notices on the undermentioned owners requiring them to abate the nuisances and to remedy the sanitary defects in the undermentioned premises, in accordance with the entries in the Report Book of the Inspector of Nuisances:-

Name and Address of Owner Situation of Premises.
Clark, Mr.,12, Rowley Road, Lewisham “Assandune,” Lower Green West
Bayley, Mr. (occupier) “Elm Cottage,” Lower Green West

BRUNSWICK Villas, Robinson ROAD.—That it had been found necessary to open up the ground and examine the drains of these premises. The drains of Clifton Villa, adjoining this property, were connected to the same system, but he had not yet been able to examine them. He recommended that notices be served on the various owners requiring them to carry out certain works in order to abate the nuisances.

The Committee adjourned the consideration of this matter.


Minutes of meetings held by the Croydon Rural District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.