Tag Archives: Nursery Road

1962 Slum Clearance Scheme

from the Mitcham News & Mercury, 25th May, 1962, page 1:

Mitcham’s ambitious slum clearance scheme

ABOUT 140 HOMES TO GO

It may start next year, say council

Hundreds of Mitcham people are likely to have to leave their homes soon when Mitcham Council go ahead with a large scale slum clearance scheme.

About 140 dwellings, scattered in many parts of the town, are included in the scheme, which will possibly get under way early next year.

Split into five groups the dwellings included in the scheme are in Phipps Bridge Road, Blue House Cottages, Fountain Place, Prussia Place, Nursery Road, Gladstone Road, Sibthorp Road, Fountain Road and Western Road.

SOME HOMES ALREADY VACANT

Compulsory purchase of many of the properties is inevitable. Thousands of pounds will be involved in the acquisition.

Some of the dwellings, however, are at present vacant.

The Borough Engineer, Mr J.W. Turner, has advised the council’s housing committee to split the slum clearance scheme into two phases.

He thinks that the Gladstone Road, Sibthorp Road, Fountain Road and Western Road areas – forming part of an area which should, he feels, be considered with the council’s redevelopment of the Town Centre – should be deferred until further progress has been made on the the town centre proposals.

If the housing committee do leave these areas it would mean that only 54 dwellings would be immediately affected.

LOCAL INQUIRIES MAY BE HELD

It is not possible to say yet the date the scheme will start. Various legal channels have to be gone through and there is also a possibility that many local residents, affected by the scheme, will object to the Minister of Housing and Local Government. This may mean a series of local inquiries.

The sites in Fountain Place, Prussia Place and Nursery Road are the only ones included in the scheme which will be re-developed for residential use.

The other sites will be used for roads, redevelopment of the town centre and one for a school site.

1902 Inspector Rabbett’s Report to the Parochial Committee

From the minutes of the Croydon Rural District Council
Volume 8
1902 to 1903
Mitcham Parochial
29th April 1902
pages 66 and 67

9. INSPECTOR RABBETTS’ REPORT.

—Inspector Rabbets reported that since the last meeting, he had paid 250 visits to premises of which, 27 were primary inspections. Four visits had been made to slaughterhouses, three to dairies and cow-sheds, and four to piggeries.

Nuisances had been abated at 1 to 4, Rosemary Cottages ; ” Nursery Cottage,” and No. 6, Nursery Road ; 17, Fountain Road ; Blume’s Factory ; 6 and 7, Manor Villas ; 3, 4, and 7, Upper Green ; and 1 to 8, Bridge Road.

The drains of 14 houses had been primarily tested, and 12 tests had been applied to drains in course of re-construction. Two patients had been removed to hospital, and two houses had been disinfected.

The nuisance arising from all accumulation of filth and stagnant water at Orchard Pit, Westfields, was being abated, and the wooden pigsty would become disused as soon as the concrete one, now being constructed, was completed.

Prussia Place

Terrace of houses at end of Nursery Road. Demolished as part of a slum clearance scheme, that was announced in 1962. The actual date of demolition is not known. As is pointed out in a comment below, there are still entries in the 1965 electoral register for Prussia Place.

1937 Aerial photo

1937 Aerial photo – Prussia Place is the row of houses top left, with long gardens to the right

In 1925 the occupants were:

  1. Mrs Devoy
  2. Ernest Arthur Finch
  3. Arthur Rands
  4. Arthur Skillings
  5. Herbert C. Mackey
  6. Percy Green
  7. George Boyce
  8. Horace Deane
  9. Henry Rayner
  10. James Matthews
  11. Arthur Sheppard
  12. Mrs Palmer
  13. Mrs Whitbread
  14. William Wade

In the Nursery Cottages:

  1. Albert French
  2. Mrs Davidson

On the west side of the road was Porto Motor Co. (motor engineers)

Stories

Morning Chronicle – Tuesday 15 February 1820

Freeholds, Mitcham, Surrey, with Votes for the County.
– By Mr. BURRELL, at Garraway’s, on Tuesday, 23d instant, at twelve, in twelve Lots.

A valuable freehold estate, called Prussia-Place, situate at the back of the School of Industry, at Lower Mitcham; comprising a row of 12 neat substantial brick houses, containing four rooms each, with gardens in the front and back, now in the several occupations of Messrs. Franklin, Kitchen, Buckle, Hayward, Croucher, Foster, Savage, Dalton, Hughes, Willett, Mitcheson, and Hodges, at rents amounting to £120 per annum.

– May be viewed ten days preceding the sale, when particulars may be had at the Buck’s Head, Mitcham; the King’s Head and White Hart Inns, Lower Mitcham; at Garraway’s; and of Mr. Burrell, Throgmorton-street.